MIVA Small Business
Virtual Private Servers
Dedicated server resources and performance,
without dedicated server prices.
Current choices in hosting…
Shared Server Hosting Dedicated Server Hosting
• Inexpensive • 100% CPU/memory resources
• Simple • Flexible configuration
• Commonly available • Lots of storage & bandwidth
• Can host unlimited domains
• Restrictive CONS:
• Sharing server resources • Expensive
• “Living with your neighbors” • More difficult to manage
• Growth becomes expensive • Long term commitment
The Next Big Thing - VPS
What is a Virtual Private Server (VPS)?
Virtual Private Servers are the most advanced step in server
virtualization technology. They are used to partition a single
physical server into many isolated virtual environments,
each with full server functionality.
Each virtual private server looks and behaves exactly like a real
networked server system, complete with its own set of init
scripts, users, processes, filesystems, server applications, etc.
Complete isolation ensures that the virtual environments are
secure and have full functional, fault and performance isolation.
VPS and web hosting: Virtuozzo
Virtual Private Server (VPS) with Virtuozzo OS-level virtualization and
automation creates isolated partitions or virtual environments on a
single physical server and OS instance to utilize hardware, software,
datacenter and management effort with maximum efficiency.
Intelligent partitioning divides a server into as many Virtual
Environments as the server CPU and memory allows, all with full
dedicated server functionality.
Virtual Private Server offers a perfect balance between total control
(root access), performance, security and economy to control your
online presence. VPS fills the gap between shared hosting and
dedicated server, with all the benefits of a dedicated server but without
the monthly cost and management expense.
• VPS behaves exactly like an isolated stand-alone server
• VPS appears to have its own processes, users, files and provides
full root access
• Each VPS has its own IP addresses, port numbers, IP tables,
filtering and routing rules
• Each VPS can have its own configuration files for the system and
• Each VPS can have its own versions of system libraries or modify
• Each VPS can delete, add, modify any file, including files in /root,
and install its own application software or custom configure/modify
root application software
Architecture: Virtual Hosting vs VPS
Virtual Hosting VPS Hosting
- Install your own applications
- Shared Applications - Administrative Control (root-like)
- Limited Control - Independent Secure Environment
- Shared Environment - Dedicated Web Server
- Shared Web Server - Dedicated Mail Server
- Shared Mail Server - Dedicated Database Server
- Shared Database Server - Dedicated FTP Server
- Shared FTP Server
VPS - Quality of Service
Quality of Service to provide dedicated SLAs for each VPS:
Includes CPU, disk space and network guarantees
Guarantees on memory - user and kernel, physical and virtual
Guarantees on disk I/O and many other critical resources (over 20)
Main VPS benefits over shared hosting
A Virtual Private Server gives you root access to the system, this allows you to modify
server configuration files, install applications or modify system software; in a shared
environment you have to rely on server settings that are 'best fit' for all clients and
this may not suit your needs.
With a Virtual Private Server your file system is not accessible or viewable by any
other VPS owner, unlike a shared environment where anyone with shell access can
browse through your files. VPS ensures full privacy and security.
In a shared hosting environment you are 'held hostage' to the actions of others; if
another shared account runs a script that crashes the server then your site goes
down too. With a Virtual Private Server you have complete resource isolation,
no matter what another VPS user does - it will not affect your virtual server.
In a shared environment resources go to the site 'that shouts the loudest' - in other
words a big site can drain all resources and leave yours performing poorly. In a
Virtual Private Server environment you are guaranteed a set of resources to ensure
your site always performs at full speed. These resource guarantees ensure other
Virtual Private Servers have no affect on the performance of your site.
Main VPS benefits over dedicated server
A virtual private server gives you all the functionality of a dedicated server
at a fraction of the cost.
• Data Integrity:
With a Virtual Private Server you get built-in incremental backups on
top of a world class RAID-5 or RAID-10 array to ensure data integrity
The nature of a Virtual Private Server means we can manage all aspects
of software upgrading and patching, no need to worry about updating
your packages - it is all controlled by us, your hosting company.
A Virtual Private Server is functionally equal to a dedicated server.
• Resource Efficient:
You get the resources you need when you need them and all resource
guarantees are instantly scalable to suit your needs as you grow.
Advantages of a VPS
• Performance (no virtualized hardware, suitable for high I/O applications)
• Scalability (can scale up to 100% of server resources)
• Density (from web hosting company perspective)
• Consolidated OS and Application Management
• Ultra Fast and Parallel Operations
(create, restart, update, resize, backup/restore, migrate, clone)
• Dynamic Resource Allocation
(change heavily detailed VE resource parameters in real-time)
• Management Suite of Tools
(convert, provision, monitor, backup, recover, analyze, repair, migrate, self-manage)
• Live Migration (physical to VPS, VPS to VPS)
• Broad Platform Support
• Detailed Resource Management
Shared hosting vs VPS
• Choice of control panel No Yes
• Brandable control panel No Yes
• QoS Guarantees (CPU, memory, bandwidth) No Yes
• Choice of Linux or Windows distributions No Yes
• Scalable (ready for rapid growth) No Yes
• Root access No Yes
• Custom modules / software No Yes
• Reboot server & Restart services No Yes
• Sandboxed from other users No Yes
• Personal, customizable firewall No Yes
What you get with VPS
• Total control
• Security & separation from all other VPSs and other clients
• Performance guarantees; allocation of server resources
• Flexibility to set up anything you want or reconfigure your own VPS
• Ability to reboot or reinstall your VPS without affecting the server
• Repair the base OS and control panel, without reloading web sites
• Host unlimited domains, use any web control panel
• Very easy to upgrade VPS resources without moving sites
• Far less expensive than a dedicated server
• Moving from VPS to dedicated server (if/when you outgrow the VPS
solution) is easy
• Migrating from shared server (ANY platform) to VPS can be automated
Thank you for attending!
If you’d like to take a Virtual Private Server
for a test drive – we are offering all
MIVA Conference 2006 attendees
first month FREE VPS service.
Software: VPS with Virtuozzo v3, Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform
Control panels: Plesk v8, 30-domain limit
Bandwidth: 30GB free bandwidth
To download this presentation, please visit:
(888) 321-6239 or (619) 269-7442