0
Ilse	  	  Be creative. Use unconventional thinking. Become strategic.
Sales Skills                  Prospecting                  Asking Questions                  Finding Pain                 ...
IncreasingAccount      Inside	  	      Direct	  	                                                            Solu1on	  Sel...
Let your Customer            help you choose.            Big is not always            best for a startup.PARTNERMARKETING
Prospects 10%Validated 25%Qualified 10%   1 in 10 chance of                 success at eachBest Few 90%                   ...
Marke1ng	  campaigns	                  Sales	  Sheets	                  Presenta1ons	                           Reference	...
Social media is the  new cold call.Thought leadership over social mediachannels creates a    pull effect. Adds the “networ...
Stakeholder	   Map	       Economic	  Buyers	                        User	  Buyers	       final	  authority	  to	           ...
Partners	  Licensors	  Simplicity	  Pilot	              Reference	              Revenue	              Margin	  
For	  every	  10	      You	  may	  get	                                                    To	  generate	    cold	  calls	...
Good sales people face rejection every         day and still smile!
Be	  clear	  on	  ..	     •  what’s	  in	  it	  for	  them	     •  mee1ng	  purpose	     •  your	  value	          proposi...
¨ Title¨ Problem hook¨ Problem explanation¨ Customer impact¨ Big idea insight¨ Solution (value proposition)¨ Underl...
2	  ears	  &	  1	  mouth	  	  Use	  in	  that	  propor1on!	  
Nathan Monk (‘Digital Cowboy’)Sr. Associate, Info. Technology, Communications & Entertainment (ICE)Bio:• ICE advisory team...
How	  do	  we	  break	  through	  the	  noise?	  
‘Posi1oning	  is	  not	  what	  you	  do	  to	  a	  product.	  Posi1oning	  is	  what	  you	  do	  to	  the	  mind	  of	  ...
5	  steps	  to	  start	  ‘breaking	  through	  the	  noise’:	  	  1.  Understand	  your	  Product	  (Unique	  Selling	  Pr...
Unique	  Value	  Proposi;on	          	  ‘A	  single,	  clear	  and	  compelling	  message	  that	  states	  why	  you	  a...
Features	  5	  steps	  to	  developing	  clear	  and	  compelling	  features:	  1.  Pick	  the	  ‘most	  valuable’	  featu...
‘Your	  objec;ve	  is	  to	  find	  a	  big	  enough	  market	  you	  can	  reach	  with	  customers	  who	  need	  your	  ...
But	  how	  do	  you	  determine	  you	  have	  the	  correct	  product/market	  fit?	  1.  When	  40%	  of	  your	  users	...
5	  steps	  to	  define	  your	  Target:	  	  1.  Find	  the	  greatest	  customer	  segment	          with	  the	  biggest...
5	  deciding	  factors	  for	  1ming	  considera1on:	  	  1.  Budget	  and	  tac1cs.	  2.  Product	  stage:	  early	  or	 ...
Tac1cs	  for	  your	  considera1on	  and	  ‘budget’:	  	  1.  Online:	  display,	  SEM,	  SEO	  &	  video	  2.  Mobile:	  ...
Before	  you	  start	  marke1ng/selling:	  	  1.  Check	  out	  IAB	  Canada:	  iabcanada.com.	  	  2.  Sign	  up	  for	  ...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  Online:	  Display,	  SEM	  and	  Video	  1.  It	  can	  be	  very	  cost	  effec1ve	  and	...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  Mobile	  adver1sing:	  1.  It’s	  underu1lized,	  can	  be	  cost	  effec1ve	  and	  highl...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  eMail	  marke1ng:	  1.     A	  great	  way	  to	  reach	  new	  users.	  2.     A	  great...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  Print,	  OOO	  &	  TV:	  1.     Can	  be	  more	  expensive	  then	  other	  media.	  2. ...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  Events	  and	  PR:	  1.     Low-­‐cost	  &	  high	  impact	  mediums	  for	  startups.	  ...
5	  things	  to	  know	  about	  Social	  Media	  &	  Word-­‐of-­‐Mouth:	  1.  Social	  Media	  is	  the	  most	  popular	...
Last updated:                    <ACME COMPANY>Prepared by:Launch date:Audience                         Industry         I...
Nathan Monk (‘Digital Cowboy’)Sr. Associate, ICE Advisory PracticeBio:•  Focus on consumer ent. & ecommerce companies•  Ha...
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Sales - Entrepreneurship 101
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Sales - Entrepreneurship 101

1,213

Published on

Get practical tips for making sales calls, including how to successfully close a sale and follow-up with potential customers.

This lecture focuses on both business-to-consumer (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) sales.

Published in: Business, Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
1,213
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
56
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "Sales - Entrepreneurship 101 "

  1. 1. Ilse    Be creative. Use unconventional thinking. Become strategic.
  2. 2. Sales Skills Prospecting Asking Questions Finding Pain Uncovering Budget Gaining CommitmentPersonal SkillsGoal AchievingResilencySelf-starterReslts OrientedSelf Management Job Skills Product or Industry Knowledge Sales Experience Market Knowledge Education
  3. 3. IncreasingAccount Inside     Direct     Solu1on  Selling  Size Sales   Sales  AndImportance Retail  /   Indirect  /   Online   Partners   Increasing Complexity of Transaction
  4. 4. Let your Customer help you choose. Big is not always best for a startup.PARTNERMARKETING
  5. 5. Prospects 10%Validated 25%Qualified 10% 1 in 10 chance of success at eachBest Few 90% stage Won POST Start up is closer to 1 in 25
  6. 6. Marke1ng  campaigns   Sales  Sheets   Presenta1ons   Reference  Story  Prospects 10% Solu1on  Sales  Sheets   Customized  Presenta1ons  Validated 25% Demo   Sponsor  LeAer   Custom  Value  Proposi1on  Qualified 10% Solu1on  Blue  Print   Proposal  Best Few 90% Specific  Pricing   Won Implementa1on   POST Billing   Customer  Management   Stable  Opera1ons  
  7. 7. Social media is the new cold call.Thought leadership over social mediachannels creates a pull effect. Adds the “networkeffect” to your sales funnel.
  8. 8. Stakeholder   Map   Economic  Buyers   User  Buyers   final  authority  to   use  or  supervise  the   release  the  funds     use  of  your  product   Technical  Buyers   Coaches   judge  and  rule  on  your   guide  you  in  the  sale   product s    specs   Create  WIN  WIN  with  each.  Determine  and  rank  degrees  of  influence  honestly.   Analyze  your  posi1on  with  each  honestly.  
  9. 9. Partners  Licensors  Simplicity  Pilot   Reference   Revenue   Margin  
  10. 10. For  every  10   You  may  get   To  generate   cold  calls   to  make  3   made   presenta1ons   1  sale   Note Startups have the 25-3-1 rule
  11. 11. Good sales people face rejection every day and still smile!
  12. 12. Be  clear  on  ..   •  what’s  in  it  for  them   •  mee1ng  purpose   •  your  value   proposi1on   •  1me  allotment   •  who’s  aAending   •  facili1es    
  13. 13. ¨ Title¨ Problem hook¨ Problem explanation¨ Customer impact¨ Big idea insight¨ Solution (value proposition)¨ Underlying magic¨ Team and credentials¨ Partners and customers¨ Summary
  14. 14. 2  ears  &  1  mouth    Use  in  that  propor1on!  
  15. 15. Nathan Monk (‘Digital Cowboy’)Sr. Associate, Info. Technology, Communications & Entertainment (ICE)Bio:• ICE advisory team member with focus on consumer ent. &ecommerce companies• Have a strong passion for entrepreneurship• ‘Lean Startup’ practitioner• Digital marketer, sales and BD professional• Experience: CBC, CanWest, OgilvyOne and Yahoo!Follow me:@CowboytweetsLinkedin.com/in/nathanmonkmarsdd.com/blog/author/nmonk/feed/
  16. 16. How  do  we  break  through  the  noise?  
  17. 17. ‘Posi1oning  is  not  what  you  do  to  a  product.  Posi1oning  is  what  you  do  to  the  mind  of  the  prospect.  That  is,  you  posi1on  the  product  in  the  mind  of  the  prospect.’                    -­‐  Al  Ries,  Posi1oning
  18. 18. 5  steps  to  start  ‘breaking  through  the  noise’:    1.  Understand  your  Product  (Unique  Selling  Prop.)  and  validate  it.  2.  Understand  your  Market  (Where  am  I  selling?)  and  validate  it.  3.  Understand  your  Target  (Who  am  I  selling  to?)  and  validate  it.  4.  Understand  your  Timing  (When  do  I  sell?)  and  validate  it.  5.  Understand  your  Tac;cs  (How  do  I  reach  them?)  and  validate  it.    
  19. 19. Unique  Value  Proposi;on    ‘A  single,  clear  and  compelling  message  that  states  why  you  are  different  and  worth  buying.’            -­‐  Steve  Blank,  The  Four  Steps  to  the  Epiphany    
  20. 20. Features  5  steps  to  developing  clear  and  compelling  features:  1.  Pick  the  ‘most  valuable’  features    (beware  of  feature  creep).  2.  Pick  what  makes  it  different  to  the  target.  3.  Pick  the  greatest  solu1on  to  the  problems  the  target  has.  4.  Build  a  ‘back  story’  (elements  which  make  it  magne1c).  5.  Validate,  validate  and  validate  with  your  targets!    
  21. 21. ‘Your  objec;ve  is  to  find  a  big  enough  market  you  can  reach  with  customers  who  need  your  product  that  will  pay  a  price  you  can  build  a  business  around.’      -­‐  Ash  Maurya,  Running  Lean      5  steps  to  market  discovery:  1.  Find  greatest  customer  segment  with  the  biggest  pain.  2.  Ease  of  reach:  find  the  quickest  path  to  customers.  3.  Price:  pick  a  customer  segment  that  allows  you  to   maximize  on  price.  4.  Start  in  smaller  markets,  then  go  large.  5.  Validate,  validate  and  validate!  
  22. 22. But  how  do  you  determine  you  have  the  correct  product/market  fit?  1.  When  40%  of  your  users  are  returning  month  over  month  (Running  Lean)  2.  When  you  pass  the  Sean  Ellis  test  by  asking  users:                                                                  How  would  you  feel  if  you  could  no  longer  use  the  (product):   •  Very  disappointed   •  Somewhat  disappointed   •  Not  disappointed  (it  isn’t  really  that  useful)   •  N/A  –  I  no  longer  use  (product)   •  *If  over  40%  of  users  are  very  disappointed  you’ve  got  the   right  market    3.  Get  paid.  
  23. 23. 5  steps  to  define  your  Target:    1.  Find  the  greatest  customer  segment   with  the  biggest  pain.  2.  Ease  of  reach:  find  the  quickest  path  to   sustainable  customers.  3.  Price:  pick  a  customer  segment  that   allows  you  to  maximize  on  price.  4.  Start  in  smaller  markets,  then  go  large  5.  Validate,  validate  and  validate!            
  24. 24. 5  deciding  factors  for  1ming  considera1on:    1.  Budget  and  tac1cs.  2.  Product  stage:  early  or  late  adopters?  3.  When  &  where  is  the  target  most  recep1ve?  4.  What  are  compe1tors  doing/have  done?  5.  Is  there  any  event  you  can  1e  your  marke1ng   message  around?                
  25. 25. Tac1cs  for  your  considera1on  and  ‘budget’:    1.  Online:  display,  SEM,  SEO  &  video  2.  Mobile:  (tablet  and  smart  phone)  3.  eMail  4.  Print  5.  OOO  6.  TV  7.  Events  &PR:  release,  blogs  &  community  outreach  8.  Word-­‐of-­‐Mouth  and  Social  Media    
  26. 26. Before  you  start  marke1ng/selling:    1.  Check  out  IAB  Canada:  iabcanada.com.    2.  Sign  up  for  eMarketer  &  mMarketer.  3.  Build  a  one  page  marke1ng  plan  with  tac1cs.  4.  Define  your  metrics  (See  Pirate  Metrics  for  StartUps.)  5.  Check  out  marke1ng  op1miza1on  sonware  (e.g:   gShin  Labs  &  Highrise)  to  see  what  works  best.  6.  Contact  ad  networks  for  low  cost  inventory.  7.  Read:  StartUp  Marke1ng  Blog  by  Sean  Ellis  .  8.  Read:  Posi1oning  by  Al  Ries  and  Running  Lean.    
  27. 27. 5  things  to  know  about  Online:  Display,  SEM  and  Video  1.  It  can  be  very  cost  effec1ve  and  highly  targeted:  loca1on,  1me  of  day  etc.  2.  It’s  priced  CPM  or  CPC  (CPM  =  brand  awareness)  &  CPC  (CPC=direct  sale.)    3.  You  can  have  ad  units  built  easily  on  Elance.com,  Dribbble  or  independents.  4.  You  can  find  sites  which  meet  your  target  criteria  on  Alexa.com.  5.   See  examples  of  ad  units  at:  IAB.net/guidelines…look  for  UAP  example.s    Tip:  For  SEM  marke1ng  check  out  Google  Adver1sing  programs    
  28. 28. 5  things  to  know  about  Mobile  adver1sing:  1.  It’s  underu1lized,  can  be  cost  effec1ve  and  highly  targeted  (higher  CTR).  2.  You  can  reach  folks  on-­‐the-­‐go  in  a  very  personal  environment.  3.  You  can  reach  folks  across  different  devices:  BB,  iPhone,  Android  etc.  4.  Easier  to  form  partnerships  with  mobile  app  developers  to  use  inventory.  5.  Need  to  have  a  mobile  strategy  including  mobile  op1mized  site  (min),  app   or  site  across  smartphone  and  tablets  (max.).    Tip:  Checkout  AdMob.com  for  more  informa1on.  Many  CDN  publishers  have  mobile  ad  opportuni1es  as  well.        
  29. 29. 5  things  to  know  about  eMail  marke1ng:  1.  A  great  way  to  reach  new  users.  2.  A  great  way  to  engage  exis1ng  users.  3.  An  exact  ROI  can  be  tracked  from  eMail.  4.  A  great  way  to  obtain  feedback  and  test.  5.  A  way  to  promote  across  proper1es  (site,   facebook,  twiAer  and  blog).    Tip:  Check  out  MailChimp.com  for  more  informa1on.      
  30. 30. 5  things  to  know  about  Print,  OOO  &  TV:  1.  Can  be  more  expensive  then  other  media.  2.  Can  reach  a  far  greater  amount  of  folks.  3.  Can  be  costly  to  produce.  4.  Can  not  be  tracked  as  easily.  5.  Strong  brand  awareness  due  to  reach.  Tip:  Visit  the  Canadian  Marke1ng  Associa1on  for  more  informa1on  on  using  tradi1onal  media.      
  31. 31. 5  things  to  know  about  Events  and  PR:  1.  Low-­‐cost  &  high  impact  mediums  for  startups.  2.  Can  be  highly  targeted  and  effec1ve.  3.  Allows  you  to  build  rela1onships  with  media.  4.  Can  be  tracked  via  metrics.  5.  Creates  awareness  and  provides  credibility.  Tip:  Build  a  PR  and  events  database  of  key  events,  bloggers  and  media  you  need  to  reach                
  32. 32. 5  things  to  know  about  Social  Media  &  Word-­‐of-­‐Mouth:  1.  Social  Media  is  the  most  popular  consumer  ac1vity   according  to  Nielsen.  2.  SM  allows  you  to  connect,  engage  and  build   rela1onships  across  mediums.  3.  It’s  LOW  COST  J    4.  A  great  way  to  get  ‘socially  endorsed’.      5.  An  amazing  way  to  test  and  validate!  Tip:  Visit  HubSpot  for  info  and  this  TechCrunch  ar1cle:  ‘Social  Proof  is  The  New  Marke1ng’            
  33. 33. Last updated: <ACME COMPANY>Prepared by:Launch date:Audience Industry InvestorsDescriptionObjectives 1 2 3 4 5Location Global North AmericaFlights MaRS CommonsKey MediaTactics Video Social Media PR Events Partners Media Buy Print TV OOO Blog eMailKey Messages 1 2 3 4Boilerplate
  34. 34. Nathan Monk (‘Digital Cowboy’)Sr. Associate, ICE Advisory PracticeBio:•  Focus on consumer ent. & ecommerce companies•  Have a strong passion for entrepreneurship•  ‘Lean Startup’ practitioner•  Digital marketer, sales and BD professional•  Experience: CBC, CanWest, OgilvyOne and Yahoo!Follow me:@CowboytweetsLinkedin.com/in/nathanmonkmarsdd.com/blog/author/nmonk/feed/
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×