Patrick Zandl: Energy industry post Edison, Křižík & IoT
Light bulb versus coal
Problems of energy
• Large losses and no accumulation ☞
• No one wants to have power plant in their
• Raw (energy-primary) materials are
available sparsely and in politically
volatile regions mostly
• Enough cheap energy is basis for all
production and manufacturing
Task for power industry of
21 century is finding
• Savings for end users: efficient savings
without significant change of user habits
(where “efficient” = 30-50 % in 10
• Savings in production: Radical change
of production and distribution setup
(where “radical” = 1 generation)
So, how to save ...
• Thorough automation for end users clever algorithms
• Manage production according to
• Shorten transmission lines
• Decrease investment risks
So, go decentralised, right?
Task for Smart Grid and
• Knowledge of individual user
• Ability to predict demand and
respond on real time with supply
• Time-shift energy intense
• Provide feedback for control of
CHP (combined heat and power),
PV and energy storage
• Internet of Things is important for
improvement. It can help everywhere,
where we need to step up efficiency of
• IoT is just a technology. To be clever is
your part of the game.
• IoT never comes without Big Data &
Smart Data Analysis.
Role of IoT & Big Data &
• Analysis of discrete data streams.
• Finding hidden dependencies and trends.
• Prediction of future conditions of systems.
• Possibility to predict unpredictable.
Risks and / or Issues
• Increased complexity brings susceptibility
• The system is de-facto closed and
therefore hard to audit.
• Possible problems can be massive and
can escalate exponentially. Few experts
really understand and can solve troubles.
• Mustn’t underestimate backup plan, which
we usually like to do.
We are on the cusp of interwoving
into all other industries (after IT, telco and
• Huge opportunity to disrupt markets: lower
prices, better customer relationship,
increased satisfaction, availability and
quality of service.
• High risk transition, disruption of status
quo and increseas complexity.