WHAT IS THE DIET INDUSTRY? "The diet industry is making a lot of money selling us fad diets, nonfat foods full of chemicals, gym memberships, and pills while we lose a piece of ourself-esteem every time we fail another diet or neglectto use the gym membership we could barely afford." - -Portia de Rossi, Unbearable Lightness.As de Rossi describes above, the diet industry is the business of selling pills, equipment, videos, etc. to consumers for the purpose of losing weight.
“Americans spend an estimated $40 million a year on weight-loss programs and products.” --Business Exchange Is this surprising to you?Check out more diet industry data here: http://bx.businessweek.com/diet-industry/
BUT WE ARE STILL UNHEALTHY! One-third of U.S. adults are obese. That’s 33.8% Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese.http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html, From the National Health andExamination Survey.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED OBESE? OVERWEIGHT? An abnormal accumulation of body fat, usually 20% or more over an individuals Obesity ideal body weight. Associated with increased risk of illness, disability, and death. More than normal in body weight after Overweight adjustment for height, body build, and age, or 10% to 20% above the persons "desirable" body weight. Body Mass A key index for relating a persons body Index weight to their height. Calculated by (BMI) dividing a person’s weight in kilograms (kg) by their height in meters (m) squared.Definitions from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/
ARE YOU HEALTHY? Overweight and obesity ranges are calculated by BMI. It uses the weight and height of a person, and correlates it with the amount of body fat. Look at the table below. Calculate your own BMI with the widget below this presentation.
BUT… BMI works for MOST people, but it isn’t a direct measurement of body fat since it takes both fat and muscle into account.
REMEMBER: MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THANFAT. So athletes, like LeBron James, may have a high BMI and be classified in the “obese” range, but they don’t have a large amount of body fat. sports.espn.go.com
SO WHAT CAN WE DO? Know what you are eating. You’d be surprised how many calories are in foods you think are “healthy.” Think you know it all? Let’s test your knowledge of calories.Go to the slides for a quiz from fitnessmagazine.com.
1. HOW LONG WOULD YOU HAVE T WALK TO QBURN OFF ONE SODA?A. 40 minutesB. 50 minutesC. 1 hour, 18 minutesD. 1 hour, 30 minutes
1. HOW LONG WOULD YOU HAVE T WALK TO ABURN OFF ONE SODA? The correct answer is: C. 1 hour 18 minutes One 20-ounce cola has 250 calories.
WHY? Soda is the biggest single source of calories in the U.S. diet. We drink more than 49 gallons of the stuff per person per year, research shows.
2. WHICH RESTAURANT MEAL HAS THE MOST QCALORIES?A. A. Baja Fresh Steak Burrito UltimoB. Two slices of Papa John’s Italian Meats Trio PizzaC. Sonic Bacon CheeseburgerD. On the Border Chicken Fiesta Salad
2. WHICH RESTAURANT MEAL HAS THE MOST ACALORIES? The correct answer is: D. On the Border Chicken Fiesta Salad This salad is 1,140 calories!
WHY? The salad has 190 more than the meal with the second-most calories, the Baja Fresh Burrito Ultimo. The burger and the pizza have 780 and 760 calories respectively.
Q3. HOW BIG SHOULD YOUR DINNER PLATE BE?A. 9 inchesB. 10 inchesC. 12 inchesD. It doesn’t matter, as long as you don’t eat everything on it.
A3. HOW BIG SHOULD YOUR DINNER PLATE BE? The correct answer is: A. 9 inches Although some now measure 12 inches or more, a dinner plate should be the size of a salad plate.
WHY? A bigger plate means bigger portions, which make it easy to overeat without realizing it, says Barbara Rolls, PhD, a professor of nutritional sciences at Pennsylvania State University. At restaurants, a good guideline is to eat half of what youre served, or to leave three generous bites of everything -- except the veggies.
4. WHICH BREAKFAST HAS THE MOST QCALORIES?A. Ham, egg, and cheddar on an English muffinB. An oat-bran muffinC. A bowl of yogurt, berries, and granolaD. Oatmeal with maple syrup and brown sugar
4. WHICH BREAKFAST HAS THE MOST ACALORIES? The correct answer is: B. An oat-bran muffin One oat-bran muffin has 454 calories and 12 grams of fat.
WHY? Some store-bought muffins are high in trans fats, which are as bad for your waistline as they are for your heart. In a study of overweight women, for every 1 percent of calories they ate from trans fats they gained 2.3 pounds. Even if a food is labeled "trans-fat free," by law it can contain up to 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, and those grams add up quickly. If the label says "partially hydrogenated," stay away.
5. WHICH OF THESE FOODS HAS THE MOST QCALORIES PER SERVING?A. 1/4 cup of tropical trail mixB. An 1-ounce bag of vegetable chipsC. 30 chocolate-covered raisinsD. ½ cup of Edy’s Slow Churned Rich and Creamery Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream
5. WHICH OF THESE FOODS HAS THE MOST ACALORIES PER SERVING? The correct answer is: B. A 1-ounce bag of vegetable chips Just 14 veggie chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat -- and no, they dont count as a serving of vegetables.
WHY? "Theyre potato chips in disguise," says Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, a FITNESS advisory board member and the director of the UPMC Weight Management Center in Pittsburgh. "Because people think theyre healthy, theyre more likely to polish off the whole bag."
6. HOW MANY CALORIES A DAY SHOULD YOU QGET FROM DRINKS?A. 475B. 340C. 200D. 180
6. HOW MANY CALORIES A DAY SHOULD YOU AGET FROM DRINKS? The correct answer is: C. 200 Most of us consume 458 calories a day from beverages, more than twice what we should, according to research.
WHY? Only 10 percent of your daily calories should come from drinks, which equals about 2 cups of skim milk and 1/2 cup of a sugary beverage. The rest should be water, coffee, or tea. Many bottled drinks look like a single serving but actually contain two or more. Read the label before you pour.
7. A BAGEL IS EQUAL TO HOW MANY SLICES QOF BREAD?A. 3B. 5C. 6D. 8
7. A BAGEL IS EQUAL TO HOW MANY SLICES AOF BREAD? The correct answer is: B. 5 Thats more than two-thirds of your daily intake.
WHY? Since most bagels are made from refined carbs -- yep, usually even the wheat ones -- youll be hungry again soon after eating one. Spread a tablespoon of peanut butter (about the size of your thumb) on your bagel, Fernstrom says. "The protein will increase the time it takes for your body to process the bagel, so youll be energized and satisfied for longer."
8. HOW LARGE IS A SINGLE PORTION OF QMEAT?A. The size of the palm of your handB. The size of a checkbookC. The size of two fistsD. The size of a small paperback book
8. HOW LARGE IS A SINGLE PORTION OF AMEAT? The correct answer is: A. The size of the palm of your hand One serving of meat is 2 to 3 ounces, or about the size of your palm.
WHY? However, the calories and fat in a serving can vary widely depending on the type of meat and the cut. The leanest cuts are beef tenderloin (185 calories and 9 grams of fat), top sirloin (180 calories and 8 grams of fat), and pork tenderloin (171 calories and 7 grams of fat).
9. HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK IS IT OKAY TO QEAT DESSERT?A. 2B. 4C. 7D. 10
9. HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK IS IT OKAY TO AEAT DESSERT? The correct answer is: C. 7 You can eat dessert every day (even if youre on a diet!), as long as you keep the portion sizes in check.
WHY? "Depriving yourself will only make you crave it more," Fernstrom says. That doesnt mean you should dig into a piece of cake every night, however, or the calories will pile on fast. A few smart choices: fruits and berries with toasted oats, a small piece of dark chocolate, or a scoop of low- fat ice cream (about the size of a tennis ball).
Q10. WHAT’S BETTER FOR YOU?A. A turkey burgerB. A hamburgerC. They’re about the same
A10. WHAT’S BETTER FOR YOU? The correct answer is: C. Theyre about the same "Some turkey burgers contain ground meat from all parts of the bird, which includes the high-calorie, high-fat dark meat and skin," Fernstrom says.
WHY? When making a turkey burger at home, choose lean, all-white meat, which is similar in fat and calorie content to a 95 percent lean hamburger (140 calories and 5 grams of fat), says Lisa Young, PhD, RD, a FITNESS advisory board member and author of The Portion Teller.
11. ONE CUP OF COOKED PASTA IS HOW QMANY SERVINGS?A. 1/2 servingB. 1 servingC. 1 ½ servingsD. 2 servings
11. ONE CUP OF COOKED PASTA IS HOW AMANY SERVINGS? The correct answer is: D. 2 servings It takes just an ounce of uncooked pasta to make one serving. (To see what an ounce looks like, open a standard 8-ounce box of noodles and measure out eight equal portions. Each one is 1 ounce.)
WHY? "Pasta servings have gotten way out of control, especially in restaurants, where a meal is actually six servings," Young says. The rule: A serving of cooked pasta should be about the size of your fist. If that seems too tiny, throw in some steamed broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, or spinach.