1. Changing the way international e-mail marketing campaigns are delivered. New York/London/Glasgow [email_address] @wearebourne We are Bourne. A digital agency not satisfied being called a digital agency.
2. A digital agency not satisfied being called a digital agency <ul><li>3 offices: New York, London, Glasgow </li></ul><ul><li>40 planners, marketers, creatives, technical developers, writers, and project managers </li></ul><ul><li>Delivering work in over 25 languages </li></ul><ul><li>Providing strategic planning guidance and operational excellence across all digital channels </li></ul><ul><li>www.wearebourne.com </li></ul><ul><li>Twitter: @wearebourne </li></ul>
3. <ul><li>Planning and Strategy </li></ul><ul><li>Content Strategy </li></ul><ul><li>Editorial Planning and Development </li></ul><ul><li>Demand Generation </li></ul><ul><li>Campaign Localisation </li></ul><ul><li>Marketing Technology </li></ul><ul><li>Social Applications </li></ul><ul><li>Interactive Customer Experience </li></ul><ul><li>Online Community Development </li></ul>A digital agency not satisfied being called a digital agency
4. Experience building brands and increasing sales for national and international brands
5. Silverpop: Develop relationships that build brand loyalty and increase ROI w/ Silverpop Engagement Marketing Solutions, Email marketing tools, lead nurturing and management and more. The Annuitas Group A recognized leader in marketing and sales process consulting, development and implementation, Just Media Just Media is a media planning and buying agency focused on getting your brand seen, heard and bought in the most effective way possible. Omniture Omniture is the leading provider of online business optimization, which it delivers through the Omniture Online Marketing Suite™. And we have a number of partners who deliver additional strategic benefits to our clients
6. The Dell Story: The beginning of Basis
7. Dell Computers: Overview The Bourne team have worked with Dell for over 6 years as a digital marketing agency We have worked across all segments and lines of business Lead agency on Enterprise online strategy and execution across EMEA and Global markets A particular areas of emphasis is the delivery of channel marketing programmes in EMEA, APAC, North America and Latin America – all of which are heavily focused on e-mail marketing as a communications tool.
8. Dell Computers: Addressing an EMEA e-mail marketing challenge Challenge: In the past, Dell had a decentralised approach to managing online communication. Each individual country was responsible for their own e-mail marketing. Inevitably, this lead to inconsistency in terms of branding, messaging and waste to due to the multitude of redundant work be carried out internally and in the number of agencies being used. However, Dell also knew that centralising the process would not be easy. Campaigns that were currently being run by central marketing were taking nearly month to release, from the time of brief, due to the complexity of producing and approving e-mail in up 20 languages from scratch for each campaign.
9. Dell Computers: Addressing an EMEA e-mail marketing challenge Solution: Bourne started with a full audit of all types of e-mail communications and redeveloped a consolidated set of core templates aimed at increasing usability, effectiveness and brand consistency. In tandem, we developed an e-mail production and workflow management system, which added control and accountability to the production process and several elements of automation to the publication of e-mails and landing pages.
10. Dell Computers: Addressing an EMEA e-mail marketing challenge Result: E-mail and landing page production time has been reduced from 29 days to 7 days and as many sources of potential human error as possible have been removed from the process. A uniform creative style has seen conversion rates increase steadily. The overall cost of e-mail production has been reduced approximately 50%. Dell has taken this opportunity to allocate budget to other business lines that were not receiving any communication previously. This tool ultimately became know as Basis . And, what started in EMEA has now been rolled out in North America, Asia Pacific Region and Latin America.
11. I am Basis
13. What is Basis? <ul><li>An application developed by Bourne in 2008 </li></ul><ul><li>Bourne handles volume email and online campaign production for many blue chip clients who operate in international markets </li></ul><ul><li>Basis is a tool that automates the production of e-mail marketing, campaign landings pages and small microsites – which make up the bulk of tactical campaigns for a wider variety of businesses </li></ul><ul><li>Global reach spans EMEA, APAC, Americas </li></ul>
14. What can Basis do? <ul><li>Cut campaign production time by at least 50% </li></ul><ul><li>Reduce campaign production costs </li></ul><ul><li>Centralise production of bulk email and campaign creation </li></ul><ul><li>Remove errors in campaign production </li></ul><ul><li>Preserves technical quality of the campaign as it is rolled out to international markets </li></ul><ul><li>Produce standardised multilingual email marketing communications </li></ul><ul><li>Maintain brand guidelines but allow creative freedom and flexibility </li></ul>Basis is a tool designed to:
15. This means you can do more with less: <ul><li>React more quickly to tactical opportunities </li></ul><ul><li>Build and test multiple campaign creative efficiently </li></ul><ul><li>Free up budget to target other markets, customer segments or lines of business </li></ul><ul><li>Refocus resource budget on content development rather than technical production </li></ul><ul><li>Reduce duplication of effort in terms of content development and creative design time and technical build time </li></ul>Efficiency brings a number of possibilities:
16. Why Use Basis? Because you like things to be easy. <ul><li>Eshot build made drag-and-drop easy </li></ul><ul><li>Designers can optimise designs without doing HTML </li></ul><ul><li>Synchronise brand image </li></ul><ul><li>Ensure all brand guidelines are adhered to </li></ul>Basis’ flexible templates make all this possible: <ul><li>Clone and edit templates without having to keep creating them in HTML </li></ul><ul><li>Simply choose from a list of languages to make the clone from </li></ul><ul><li>Instantly import headlines, subject lines, links and legals </li></ul>Basis’ smart clone button lets you: Both eshots and landing page(s) are built together and are re-useable reducing common cut-and-paste errors.
17. Why Use Basis? Because you like things that just work. <ul><li>Outlook </li></ul><ul><li>Lotus notes </li></ul><ul><li>Web-based client: G-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo </li></ul><ul><li>Symbian </li></ul><ul><li>Blackberry </li></ul><ul><li>Window’s mobile </li></ul><ul><li>Apple </li></ul>Basis is fully tested against all major email clients: <ul><li>Firefox </li></ul><ul><li>Internet Explorer </li></ul><ul><li>Opera </li></ul><ul><li>Safari </li></ul><ul><li>Chrome </li></ul>Basis is compatible with all standard browsers: Workflow is built in with a simple traffic light system ensuring simple, thorough manager approval.
18. Basis has allowed Dell to regain control of global e-mail communications At Dell we needed a tool to rapidly produce the large volumes of email we send, Basis provides us with this and more. <ul><li>Sent to over 40 countries in 25 languages </li></ul><ul><li>High quality branded communication </li></ul><ul><li>Fully data tracked with instant recipient information </li></ul><ul><li>Full campaign collateral development </li></ul><ul><li>A repository of content that can be used across markets </li></ul><ul><li>A smoother process for everyone involved </li></ul>Results: Silvia Herrero Marcom Online Marketing Manager Dell “
19. In Summary: <ul><li>EMEA </li></ul><ul><li>APAC </li></ul><ul><li>Latin America </li></ul><ul><li>Americas </li></ul>Basis handles volume campaign production for many blue chip clients across: <ul><li>Reduced campaign production times </li></ul><ul><li>Creative freedom </li></ul><ul><li>Brand consistency </li></ul><ul><li>Cost savings </li></ul>Designed to make quality simple, Basis delivers:
20. Positioning Basis in the digital landscape
21. Web Content Management Systems E-mail Broadcast Providers Content Localisation Content Development Clients have been forced to make use of inadequate services from 4 ends of the market – none them which specifically address the requirements to deliver fast, frequent multilingual campaigns Basis is unique because it fills a gap left by four existing areas of the digital service provider landscape
22. Web Content Management Problem: Traditional web content management systems are built to handle standard websites, which have vastly different build requirements from e-mail. Basis Solution: Basis develops e-mails with underlying code specifically designed to meet the widely varying standard of common e-mail software – i.e. MS Outlook, Lotus Notes, Hotmail etc. Basis also provides landing pages that tie directly to each e-mail campaign. E-mail Broadcast Providers Problem: E-mail broadcast suppliers lead industry strategy, but they make their money from sending e-mail not building it. This leaves clients with the means to send e-mails, but not the material to send. Basis Solution: Basis focuses on the production end of e-mail marketing – i.e. producing the e-mails – which takes up 80% of the lead time in developing a campaign. Basis reduces build time by at least 75% and costs by 50%. Content Development Problem: An organisation’s ability to develop, organise and centralise content across markets and countries is paramount to running successful online communications. The biggest single factor holding back campaigns is not technology – it is readily available content. Basis Solution: Basis holds a repository of commonly used content, so that is available across all markets for re-use whenever it is required. Adding content to a campaigns is simply a ‘drag and drop’ exercise. Content Localisation Problem: The process of moving content across markets, in and out of translation agencies is slow, expensive and prone to error due to manual processes. Basis Solution: Basis holds all language variants in its central repository, and translation partners can add content directly to the system from anywhere in the world. Once a piece of content is edited and approved– it is immediately available for use in any market. Basis is unique because it fills a gap left by four existing areas of the digital service provider landscape
23. Ability to Segment and Target Reduction in per unit build cost Reduced campaign development lead time Ability to send short-notice campaigns These capabilities deliver substantial benefits to international organizations who depend on online communication Manual Build Process Basis Process High Low
24. The Basis Roadmap
25. <ul><li>We have a development roadmap that will continue to add valuable functionality </li></ul><ul><li>Offline Communications : The ability to create and edit marketing material for print using the same functionality and the same content repository. </li></ul><ul><li>Advanced Testing : The ability to produce multiple variations of campaigns for testing and optimisation </li></ul><ul><li>Data-driven Campaigns : The ability to allow data from third party sources (i.e. CRM systems) to dynamically pull content from the Basis database into individually targeted communications </li></ul><ul><li>Complex Campaigns: Grown functionality beyond e-mail and simple landing pages and into more complex activity – i.e. microsites, interactive applications, video etc. </li></ul><ul><li>Advanced workflow: Continued improved of the workflow processes that help multiple stakeholders in a client organisation to collaborate on campaign development. </li></ul>
26. <ul><li>Basis is available now to help a number of organization increase revenue and improve their operations </li></ul><ul><li>Marketing agencies : Can use Basis as a tool to deliver campaigns more quickly, at a higher margin, using lower skilled and less expensive staff. </li></ul><ul><li>Translation Agencies : Can use Basis to expand their revenue streams beyond translation and into campaign creation </li></ul><ul><li>Client-side Organisations : Because Basis is very easy to use, some organisations may choose to in-source their e-mail marketing from existing 3 rd party suppliers </li></ul>
27. <ul><li>A number of industry trends will drive the demand for Basis in 2010 and well beyond </li></ul><ul><li>Marketing Accountability : Marketing must increasingly justify it’s spend. Basis provides a very transparent process for monitoring and controlling online communications across a global organisation. </li></ul><ul><li>Targeting and Personalisation : The demand for increased personalisation in marketing is ever-present. However, budgets are not increasing to facilitate this – meaning businesses must do more with less. Basis allows our clients to do just that. </li></ul><ul><li>Global Campaign Development and Centralised Online Marketing : Organisations are increasingly required to send consistent, high quality global communication with short lead times. And as online marketing matures it is more likely to become a centralised marketing function – however, one with need for tools that allow an element of input from local markets </li></ul><ul><li>Offline budgets moving to online: Online budgets will continue to take funds from online marketing channels as businesses seek greater accountability and as their customers increasingly expect online channels to be the primary communications route </li></ul>