1. Weekly News from WCUMC-3/24/2013Sharing the transforming love of Jesus, across the street and around the world. “Not the Kind of King They Expected” Palm Sunday - March 24, 2013After Jesus said this, he continued on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. AsJesus came to Bethphage and Bethany on the Mount of Olives, he gavetwo disciples a task. He said, “ Go into the village over there. Whenyou enter it, you will find tied up there a colt that no one has everridden. Untie it and bring it here.If someone asks, ‘Why are you untying it?’ just say, ‘Its master needsit.’ ” Those who had been sent found it exactly as he had said. As theywere untying the colt, its owners said to them, “ Why are you untyingthe colt?” They replied, “ Its master needs it. ”They brought it to Jesus, threw their clothes on the colt, and liftedJesus onto it. As Jesus rode along, they spread their clothes on theroad.As Jesus approached the road leading down from the Mount of Olives,the whole throng of his disciples began rejoicing. They praised God witha loud voice because of all the mighty things they had seen. They said,“ Blessings on the king who comes in the name of the Lord. Peace inheaven and glory in the highest heavens. ” Some of the Pharisees fromthe crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, scold your disciples! Tell them tostop!” He answered, “ I tell you, if they were silent, the stones wouldshout. ” Luke 19:28-40
2. What God said would happen, happened…Zechariah 9:9Look, your king will come to you. He is righteous and victorious. He ishumble and riding on a colt, the offspring of a donkey.Luke 18:31-33Jesus took the Twelve aside and said, “ Look, we’re going up toJerusalem, and everything written about the Human One by theprophets will be accomplished. He will be handed over to the Gentiles.He will be ridiculed, mistreated, and spit on. After torturing him, theywill kill him. On the third day, he will rise up. ”Psalm 118:26“The one who enters in the LORD ’s name is blessed…”The crowd was excited about all the miracles and what they expectedof a Messiah. But what did they really want? CONQUERING KING vs. LAMB OF GODThe Jewish leaders were threatened by Christ … and the TRUTHSome of the Pharisees from the crowd said to Jesus, “ Teacher, scold your disciples! Tell them to stop! ”Luke 19:41-44As Jesus came to the city and observed it, he wept over it. He said, “ Ifonly you knew on this of all days the things that lead to peace. But nowthey are hidden from your eyes. …you didn’t recognize the time of yourgracious visit from God. ”Jesus is not a “conquering king” as the world would define it. He’s aKing who came to serve and sacrifice.Next Week’s Message on Easter SundayThe Gospel Story from Luke 24:1-12Pastors Rick Vinther and Janine Brown preaching
3. THIS WEEK AT WCUMCSunday - 3/24 Evening Prayer, 5:30 PM, Prayer RoomMonday - 3/25 "The WORD" Bible Study, 2:00 PM, Memorial Room. Talk Time, 6:00 PM, Crossfire RoomTuesday - 3/26 Womens Bible Study (BSO), 9:30 AM, Sanctuary Mens Morning Bible Study, 9:45 PM, Room 11Wednesday - 3/27 Womens Bible Study, 10:00 AM, Memorial Room Choir, 7:15 - 8:30 PM, Sanctuary Prison Ministry meets in Church parking lot at 5:40 PM Youth Group, 7:00 PM, Crossfire RoomThursday - 3/28 Maundy Thursday Service, 7:00 PM, SanctuaryFriday - 3/29 Community Good Friday Service, 7:30 PM, SanctuarySaturday - 3/30 Mens Saturday Morning Group, 7:30 AM, CHSunday - 3/31 No Sunday School classes 9:00 AM Nursery Care is available in the Children’s Wing 10:30 AM Worship Service Tweeners Class for 5th-8th graders, 11:00 AM, Memorial Room Evening Prayer, 5:30 PM, Prayer Room
4. IMPORTANT NEWS AND EVENTS 9:00 AM Sunday School classes will NOT meet next week on Easter Sunday. Holy Week Schedule March 24 Palm Sunday Worship Service, 10:30 PM March 28 Maundy Thursday Service, 7:00 PM March 29 Community Good Friday Service, 7:30 PM March 31 - Easter Sunday Sonrise Service, 7:00 AM Celebration Worship Service, 10:30 AMNOTE: The Easter Egg Hunt will be on Easter morning in conjunctionwith the childrens Sunday School lesson. There will not be an Easter EggHunt on Saturday, March 30.
5. Support Our Children Summer Camp Programs July 8 - 12 - KidShine Performing Arts Day Camp July 22 - 26 - Vacation Bible School Aug. 5 - 9 - Twinlow Summer Day Camp Aug. 19 - 21 - Mega Sports CampWe need volunteer support in all areas for all of these Childrens Ministryprograms plus we have Sunday Morning Openings for all ages. Pleasecontact Rev. Lindsay Eklund if you want to experience the joy of showingGods love to our children. A big THANK YOU to all who helped support Summer Camp Programming through our Envelope Fundraiser. We have raised $2,421 so far. Contact the church office to learn how to contribute to our youth programs.
6. Supporters are the core of our program. Your generosity andcommunity spirit allow us to collect food for our less fortunatefriends and neighbors. An extra item or two each shopping trip isall it takes to fill up your "cool green bag" for pick-up every othermonth.OPEN POSITIONS Produce Shopper to shop for produce one time per month. Green Bag Point Person to promote the Green Bag Program in partner Churches Promotional Assistant to assist our Promotion Director in reaching out to Churches, Businesses and SchoolsWe also need monetary support, team support and Food Drivesupport. For more information, contact Della firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-999-1753.This Weeks Needs: Chili Spaghetti Sauce Mac & Cheese Beef-a-RoniThank you for your continued support.www.woodinvillestorehouse.org
7. LAMA FAMILY Potluck Sunday April 7th (After Church)Come and hear Nar Lama preach on April 7th and meet the family, Mary,Protsahan and Arpiya.Nar & Mary are Missionaries serving with Youth With A Mission (YWAM) inNepal. Nar is the YWAM base leader in Kathmandu, which supportsnumerous ministries from street kids; to HIV homes for women; tochildren’s homes; to training leaders; to planting Christian communities.This is but a small sample of their ministry in a country with a per capitaincome of around $1,600 ($133 per mo.) and is approximately 1.5%Christian.Plan to attend the potluck after church on April 7th and hear their storiesand how your prayers and financial support impacts lives half way aroundthe world. - Financial Snapshot General Fund: Income for week ended 3/17/2013 $ 8,936 Income, weekly avg. year to date $ 10,851 Expenses, weekly average, year-to-date $ 10,390 Expenses, weekly avg. budget $ 10,413
8. Faith Promise Monthly Support: Beginning Balance 11/1/12 $ 21,016 Total Pledges 2012-2013 $ 90,342 Received to date $ 38,681 Disbursed to date $ 44,445Prayer Chain RequestsPrayer Chain requests call Barbara Clark 425-483-3885. After 6:00 PM callMary Harvey at 425-827-2883 or call the church at 425-483-5252.We hope to see you in church this Sunday and God Bless.Have a great week!This newsletter is published by Woodinville Community United Methodist Church for ourmembers, friends and all who love Jesus. Our vision is "To Share the Transforming Love ofJesus Christ Across the Street and Around the World". If you are looking for a church homewith loving, devoted followers of our Lord, Jesus Christ, we invite you to attend our SundayWorship Service at 10:30 each Sunday. We are located at 17110 140th Ave NE, Woodinville,WA 98072. Learn more at www.wcumc.org.