If you have an essay/project, you need to find some information.Ask class how they find information? DiscussWhat do you need to do next in order to find the info they need (next slide)DiscussCarry out a literature search. Finding the information available on a subjectFinding information to inform, underpin and shape your researchFinding what has already been written on a subjectIdentifying the main trendsFinding appropriate information: the information needs to be suitable for your needie. right level, current if important, sufficient breadth or detail etc00:25
1. ReferencingJamie Halstead & Sandra Celada
2. This part of the session...• The support provided by the library and your Librarian• A practical exercise• How to use the Library databases to help format and save your references• Your Questions.....
4. Library Subject GuidesmyUniHub > My Study > My Library > Library Subject Guides http://libguides.mdx.ac.uk/
5. Referencing Guides
6. Referencing & CitationCorrect referencing involves including both:• In-text citations Importantly, Endacott et al. (2008) argue that this new approach to the delivery of critical care will aim to address Safar’s long-held concerns from as far back as 1974 that critical care is no more than an increasingly unnecessary and expensive form of terminal care in a lot of cases (Safar, 1974). Similarly, Rosenberg et al. (2001) suggest that mortality rates and lengths of stay are also enhanced through a more effective and coordinated approach to the discharge and follow-up of patients from the critical care unit. (McGloin and McLeod, 2010)• Reference list / bibliography
7. Referencing exercise Task: • Working in groups of 2 or 3, use the Harvard referencing guide provided to create a reference for this book… Source: https://encrypted- tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNOltX5rVbjE1VbHuGojhvsfa9YJ XHkkpTxXDHINAaMbSwX2kv
8. Edited BookDurrant, A., Rhodes, G. and Young, D.(Eds.) (2009). Getting started with University-LevelWork Based Learning. London: Sage.
9. Book (not 1st Edition)Chapman, N. and Chapman, J. (2009).Digital multimedia. (3rd ed). Chichester:John Wiley.
10. E-bookMann, L. (2010). Coloured aluminium jewellery.[online]. London: A&C Black. Available fromhttp://site.ebrary.com/lib/mdx/Doc?id=10486635[Accessed 10 January 2012]
11. Chapter in an Edited BookStory, J. and Sisson, K. (1993) ‘Performance-related Pay’. In Salaman, G., Storey, J. andBillsberry, J. (Eds) (2005) Strategic HumanResource Management: Theory and Practice.(2nd edn) London: Sage
12. E-journalGibson, N. S. and Chester-Fangman, C. (2011).“ The librarian’s role in combating plagiarism”Reference Services Review. [online]. 39(1),pp132-150. Available fromwww.emeraldinsight.com/0090-7324.htm[Accessed 10 January 2012]
13. WebpageMIGA (2011). World Investment and Political Risk.[online]. Washington: The World Bank. Availablefrom http://www.miga.org/documents/WIPR11.pdf[Accessed 10 January 2012]
15. Example: Reference List Chapman, N. and Chapman, J. (2009). Digital multimedia. (3rd ed). Chichester: John Wiley. Durrant, A., Rhodes, G. and Young, D. (Eds.). (2009). Getting started with University-Level Work Based Learning. London: Middlesex University Press. Gibson, N. S. and Chester-Fangman, C. (2011). “ The librarian’s role in combating plagiarism”. Reference Services Review. [online]. 39(1), pp132-150. Available from www.emeraldinsight.com/0090-7324.htm. [Accessed 10 January 2012]. KeyNote. (2011). Market Report 2011, Sports Clothing & Footwear. [online]. (13th Edn). Available from https://www.keynote.co.uk/. [Accessed 10 January 2012]. Mann, L. (2010). Coloured aluminium jewellery. [online]. London : A&C Black. Available from http://site.ebrary.com/lib/mdx/Doc?id=10486635. [Accessed 10 January 2012]. MIGA. (2011). World Investment and Political Risk. [online]. Washington: The World Bank. Available from http://www.miga.org/documents/WIPR11.pdf. [Accessed 10 January 2012].
16. Save references as you search?Library Databases:• Summon• Business Source CompleteAlways check the format of the references!
17. Further Online Support
18. Need more help?Please contact us for further help / to book an appointmentLibrary Subject Guides http://libguides.mdx.ac.ukAsk a Librarian http://askalibrarian.mdx.ac.uk/
19. Reference list: McGloin, S. and McLeod, A. (Eds). (2010) Advanced Practice in critical care: A case study approach. Chichester: Blackwell Publishing