2. Superhero films Superhero films have been very successful inattracting audiences and creating huge profit.One of the reasons of this is that they appealto a very large range of audiences, in bothdemographics (eg, gender or ethnicity) andpsychographics (eg, personal interests orhobbies). The more people the film attracts,the more money they will make and the moresuccessful it will be.
3. The Dark Knight This film was a huge success at the boxoffice and was released in 24th July 2008with a lifetime gross of $533,345,358.This film attracted a large range ofaudiences for a few reasons; one beingthat ‘Batman’ itself appeals to people ofall ages from the cartoon that wouldattract children to want to see this filmand leading into adults who may ofwatched it as a kid or may have justseen ‘Batman begins’ which would thenlead them to want to see what happensnext in the saga. Advertising for the filmwas massive, using TV, internet andposters on buses etc Due to it beingmade by Warner Brothers the budgetwas huge meaning a lot of money couldbe spent in advertising.
4. Spiderman Spiderman was also a massivehit at the box office released 2002with a lifetime gross of$403,706,375, once again thisfilm attracted a large range ofaudiences due to it being suitablefor all age ranges and ticks theboxes for many things people likein a film including action, romanceand a superhero character peoplelike. Also released by a largecompany Sony picturesentertainment so there budgetwas very large meaning themarketing was huge drawingpeople into the film for its release.
5. Iron Man Iron man is the 5th best sellingsuperhero film ever made with atotal gross of $318,412,101 madeby paramount studios, a very largecompany capable of a very largebudget meaning the film already hada head start to become successful.Once again the film uses action andromance to attract the audience;what seems to be one of the keyelements in the genre. The filmwould be aimed at people who liketo watch fighting and also at peoplewho like futuristic technology, sothis is largely aimed at males buthits its target audience very well;this is shown in its success.
6. The Inredibles This film was released in 2004 andhad a gross of $261,441,092; thisfilm had a slightly different targetaudience and was aimed at youngerpeople, perhaps under the age of16; this was shown because it wasa cartoon film, showing DisneyPixars famous strong point increating amazing cartoon films. Thefilm had action but not too much sothat it wasn’t suitable for all agesand also contained male and femalesuperhero characters and was afamily environment making it moreappropriate for the whole family towatch. Something some other bighit superhero films did not do.
7. ThorThor is a 2011 American superherofilm based on the comic bookcharacter of the same name publishedby Marvel Comics. Its gross was$181,030,624, not as large as theother films here but still enough to putit 15th on the most successful superherofilms. This film was quite successful atattracting an audience due to it alreadybeing a comic that is well known aroundthe world therefore people would hearabout the film and already want to seeit without even watching the trailer. Thefilm uses a male main character butalso uses female characters so thatboth male and females cold beattracted to the film.
8. Up and coming films..The amazing Spiderman-This film could be a big hot at the box office for a few reasons, it is anotherfilm based on the comic book character that is very popular with a largerange of audiences and is also being made by Sony, a very large industrymeaning the budget will be very large.The dark Knight rises-This being the third in the trilogy of the batman films it is expected to be anincredible film following two big hit films therefore this already increases itspopularity. This film is high action and also can be very emotional film makingit very intense and enjoyable attracted a very large range of audiences.
9. The Importance of Star directors and actors. A film can be judged before release by the actors and the director, such asif the cast is all well known Hollywood actors and it is directed by a directorwho has made very successful films in the past the audience will immediatelypresume that the film will be a big hit at the box office and will be a verygood film. Such as Dark Knight Rises that will be released in a few monthstime, having Christopher Nolan as the director creates a huge impact on thefilm making it more desirable. This film also contains stars such as MorganFreeman Christian Bale and of course Michael Caine once again making it verydesirable.
10. Group Discussion-In our discussion we found that peopleliked- Majority of people i spoke to agreed that they liked the action parts of superhero films. Many of the people thought that the costumes used are cool and make a superhero film a superhero film. Some people i asked said they liked that most superhero films contain a dilemma which is usually when the main character has to try and save someone he cares about. Also some liked that love is commonly used in these films in the modern industry and the film can create emotion as well as just fighting.
11. What they didn’t like- Most people I asked agreed that superhero films can be very repetitive and that some new ideas needed adding so that they aren’t so repetitive. A few people said that the costumes in them can be a bit cheesy and unrealistic so this puts them off a film. Also some people disliked some of the powers they have, making it too unrealistic and not enjoyable to watch.