Unit 1 – Grade 7 Social Studies Possible discussion – where is Europe?
Caerphilly Castle – sound slide 4 of other ppt
Learn when the Middle Ages were and what they were like
Find out how land and power were divided under Feudalism
Recognising cause and effect
Landowning, loyalty, armor, knight
What life was like for peasants and serfs
What life was like for peasants
Analyse an infographic
Analyse an infographic
Skill – recognising cause and effect
1. Grade 7 Social Studies Glenelg School of Al Ruwais
2. <ul><li>Learn when the Middle Ages were and what were they like </li></ul>
3. When were they? <ul><li>1066 – 1485 </li></ul><ul><li>How long ago was that? </li></ul><ul><li>(Answer in your book like this – The Middle Ages were _ _ _ _ years ago) </li></ul><ul><li>How long did they last? </li></ul><ul><li>(Answer in your book like this – The Middle Ages lasted for _ _ _ years) </li></ul>
5. King Charlemagne at court What happened after the collapse of King Charlemagne’s Empire?
7. Set up one whole page like this table in your workbook to take notes about life in the Middle Ages King Divine Right (his rule was above everyone else) Lord Landowner or noble Knight Also called a ‘vassal’ once he was given a ‘fief’ Lord The person who gave a ‘fief’ to a vassal Peasant Farmed the fields of the manor Serf A peasant who was legally tied to the manor on which they worked
9. What do you think these people might be doing?
10. What were 2 differences between knights and peasants?
13. Manors and Fiefs
17. Sketch this plan in your book – use pencil to color it
18. Discussions about the ‘manor plan’ (record the answers in your book) <ul><li>Explain why the barn, the blacksmith and the bakery were near the manor house. </li></ul><ul><li>Why do you think there is more ‘common land’ than there is ‘land cultivated for the lord’? </li></ul>
28. Draw and label the parts of the castle
31. Who do you think these people are? Describe what you think they are doing.
35. Activity 2
36. The feudal system Which group of people belong where in the pyramid?
37. Discover the connection between the increase in trade and the growth of towns
45. Unit Assessment <ul><li>Multi-choice questions </li></ul><ul><li>Paragraph answer </li></ul><ul><li>Vocabulary test (matching) </li></ul>