View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Prabhat Kumar Jha
NAILING THE INTERVIEW
8/25/2013 Rasmussen - Proprietary and Confidential 2
i. How to Prepare for the Interview Successfully
ii. Interview Do’s and Don’ts
iii. Types of Interview Questions
iv. After the interview
v. Question & Answer Session
• Bring multiple updated copies of resume/references
• Have correct directions to interview site
• Self-Assessment – Sell Yourself!
• Know the Job, the Company and
who you are Interviewing with
• Do a Mock Interview – Practice!
• Dress for Success
• Bring Questions for the Interviewer
WHAT TO BRING TO AN INTERVIEW?
• A Notepad
• Past Performance Reviews
• Professional Licenses
• Documents Demonstrating Success
• Professional Portfolio
INTERVIEWING & PROFESSIONALISM
• Make eye contact
• Stand and sit up straight – Don’t slouch!
• Be respectful to everyone you meet
• Respect people’s time
• Be flexible
• Make a good first impression
• Arrive early…
• Firm handshake
• Be yourself
• Speak clearly
• Be confident
• Be enthusiastic, positive, and passionate
• Don’t bring your cell phone
• Don’t be negative
• Don’t speak poorly of former employers
• Don’t lie
• Don’t mention personal issues
• Don’t ask generic job questions
• Don’t inquire about salary
TYPES OF INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Common Open-Ended Questions:
• Tell me about yourself.
• Tell me about your experience.
• How has your education prepared you for your career?
• What is your greatest strength/weakness?
• How do you work in a team environment?
• If I asked one of your professors/managers to describe you,
what would they say?
• Why do you want to work for us?
• Why should you be hired?
• Where do you want to be with your career in 5 years?
THE STAR TECHNIQUE…….
…to respond to behavioral interview questions
TYPES OF INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Behavioral Based Questions:
• Give an example of a problem you faced at work, life or
school, and how you solved it.
• Give an example of a time when you had to be quick in
making a decision.
• Describe a time when you had to handle stress on the
job, life, or at school. How did you handle it?
• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a
• How do you handle conflict with a professor or boss?
• Describe the most challenging project you completed.
INTERVIEW THE INTERVIEWER
• Sample Questions to ask the Interviewer
– Why is this job available?
– How long have you worked for the company?
– What do you enjoy most about working here?
– What would an average day consist of?
– What is the company culture?
– What are the opportunities for advancement?
– What are the next steps in the process?
AFTER THE INTERVIEW
• Supply Interviewer with Letters of
• Obtain Business Cards
• Send a Thank You Note to all Interviewers
• Call to Follow-Up on Status
THINGS TO REMEMBER
• Be Prepared
• Practice, Practice, Practice
• Be Professional
• Be Ready to Answer and
• Ask for the job!