• Not creative process • But the big ‘P‘ — Agency process
• My wife dragged me to go see a Stefan Sagmeister talk. • This quote really stuck with me. • Is this the purpose of your process? ...I hope not... but is it?
• Then listening in on Boulder Digital works I heard this quote. • A clean desk makes the best work. Great work is clean and well thought out. This only comes from a clean well thought out process.
It’s really that simple.
• It’s not just creative it effects • It’s a huge effect on our culture as an agency.
• Process is HOW people USE technology. • This experience has a big effect on how people experience the agency • Also forms the essence of the agency Culture.
• Agency Process is really another word for EMPLOYEE USER EXPERIENCE?
A the heart of most processes lies something called STATUS. Status touches every job and is therefore the heart of agency culture and your work. • Do you have a MEETING CULTURE vs. PRESENTATION CULTURE? • Can we give Project Mangers a better presentation tool to turn status into a presentation of the work in progress?
• So that is where it started. • We moved status to a google Doc Presentation. • That’s when something amazing happened.
• A Google Doc is really a website — that looks like a Doc. • It’s on-line & has a unique URL. • When we start to think of our docs as websites everything changes.
• You demand a better User Experience from a website than you do a Word Doc. • You think in terms of ‘clicks-away’ from good content. • Think about your process. You up with stuff in agency process you’d NEVER put up with on a website.
How many clicks does it take for people to get what you need to do their job? • How much of their time are we wasting? Are we making people needlessly frustrated? Doesn't that effect attitude? — and in turn culture?
We expect less from a workflow system than a website... but why?
• Why can’t we build an agency UX system that puts people 1 click away from what they need?
Of course we can if we move our process from paper to digital. • Websites that link to one and other. • Making it easier to find what people need. • Putting things online = 1 click away.
It’s been said of creative shops that creativity can’t be limited to a department.
What can we do to improve Integer Culture? • 1 click rule • Not 7 or 8...
“Don’t Fear Process”“Fear shitty people making up the process”“Fear process making up for shitty people”“Fear process making up for shitty people”“Fear process making up for shitty people”“Fear process making up for shitty people” -Stefan Sagmeister Designer/Artist/Banana Painter
“You can’t do great work if your house is not in order” -Kim Laama Creative Director, AKQA Boulder Digital Works 2011