Freelancers in IT development,Think about benefits/Disadvantage Bui Thanh Hai (facebook.com/hai.bth) Software Freedom Day - FOSS@HUS Hanoi, 15th September, 2012
1. AboutBùi Thanh Hải (Freelancer)IT System Developer, Project Manager linkedin.com/in/buithanhhai1981- 6 years experience in Coding, Team Leader for a company- 4 years work as Freelancer in groups: Asssembla, ODesk and others.- Web application development: Java/Struts/J2EE and Ruby On Rails
2. Overview- Freelancers in IT field, who are you?- What are Benefits?- What are Disadvantage?- Success experiences- What should you do?
3. Freelancers in IT field - Who are you?1 - Independently Coders/Designer2 - Developers work in group3 - Managers/Experts
3. Freelancers in IT field - General features- Independently/Work for yourself- Unstable work- Brand-name motivation- Large networks: partnership, internet (freelancer.com, odesk.com…)
4. What are benefits?- Flexible plans- More opportunities- Strong self-organization- Rich experiences- Huge international market- Good for stand-up a company (maybe)
5. What are Disadvantages- Unstable income- Easy to overload- Low face-to-face communication for oversea developers- Lack experience in big organizations- Have you lost your way?
7. Success experiences – A freelancer (Screenshot from wowkhmer.com)
7. Success experiences – Freelancer Group (Screenshot from vietcodepro.com)
8. What should you do?- Plan focus on your career (not only work)- Understand work process (ex: Scrum)- Good in a special field or know everything?- Good communications (Good in English)- Have backup plans- Work in group, join some communitiesBIG QUESTION:- trong trường hợp tăng trưởng -> kế hoạch cho tương lai?