1. “The reason why it was built was to show that Christ loves all” º By: Valentina Behaine
2. • It’s located at the top of Corcovado Mountain.• Christ the Redeemer is 38m high and overlooking the city of Rio de Janeiro is one of the tallest statues in the world.
3. HISTORY• In 1924, Don Pedro personally drove to the first official expedition to the Corcovado Mountain, this expedition end with the opening of an accessible raise to the above mentioned mountain. Then in 1859 the father Vincentian Pedro Maria Boss came to Rio de Janeiro and was struck by the mysterious beauty of the Corcovado Mountain and suggested the construction of a religious monument in honour of Princess Isabel, who in 1921 gave way for the idea of a great statue of Christ.
4. It was built from 1926 to 1931, with fundsraised from donations. Theres a chapel for150 people on the base of the statue.The original design of statue of Christ theRedeemer Brazil was done by a Brazilian,named Heitor da Silva Costa. He was also theengineer in charge of the construction. Theproject was shared with the French sculptorPaul Landowski.
5. The statue was built not out of steel but fromreinforced concrete as that was considered a moresuitable material for the cross shaped statue. Theexternal caps of the idol were constructed insoapstone due to the resistance of this material tothe extreme time and also due to its malleability.
6. The monument of statueof Christ the Redeemerwas inaugurated on theday of Our Lady ofAparecida, 12 Oct 1931by then President ofBrazil, Getulio Vargas andcardinal Dom SebastiaoLeme .
7. The statue of Christ the Redeemercan be accessed by the 2.4 meterCorcovado Railway that has thecapacity to hold 360 passengersevery hour. From the road or thetrain terminal Christ the Redeemerstatue is reached by 222 steps. Forthose not wishing to make thearduous trek up the mountain,reaching the statue is possible byescalators and elevators.
8. This is one of the largest décosculptures in the world. Up totoday, several reforms have beencompleted to assure the qualityof the Christo Redeemer. Lightinghas been added, and the latestrenewal of September 2002 isthe addition of a panoramicelevator and motorized staircaseto ease the difficulty for elderlypersons
9. The statue of Christ the Redeemer inRio represents Jesus standing withoutstretched, welcoming arms and isone of the most famous symbols ofthis lively city.