changing consumer behaviors
and marketing implications
16 april 2009
vince santo firstname.lastname@example.org
• 25 years of diverse experience in the consulting services & technology space:
– Management Consulting
– Brand Strategy
– Web Agency
– Innovation & Design
– Systems Integration
– Global Outsourcing
• entrepreneur, distance runner & mountain climber
• mega trends
• changing consumer behaviors and marketing implications
• two brands doing an excellent job of experimentation & innovation
• future directions
• key challenges going forward
• recommended readings
quick consumer behavior survey
how many people own these products / services?
how many people use these social networking sites?
when was the last time that you visited one of these stores?
• consumers engage brands when, where and how they want to -- time / place shifting
• consumers have become more tech savvy and socially conscious
• we expect immersive brand experiences in personal & professional brand interactions
• consumers have grown accustomed to free digital assets
• consumers have integrated social networks into their daily lives
• content producers can establish a digital franchise w/o using big marketers / distributors
• brands have integrated social networking into their products / services
• in many instances the experience has become the product / service
in the good old days
• push model - one way ﬂow of information from brand to consumer
• brands controlled the message and conversation
• targeted homogeneous demographics, psychographics market segments
• fewer / less complex touch points TV, Print Newspapers and Magazines, Radio and Retail
“Mad Men” era is over
• “big hit” series attracted large audiences
• the 30 second ad spot was king
• agencies generated “big ideas” for TV ad campaigns (Apple 1984 Ad)
• nielsen ratings as primary source of ad effectiveness and measurement
changing consumption habits & industry responses
• consumers are in control
• TiVo / DVR technology for commercial skipping
• VOD, internetTV enables popular and long-tail content anytime and anyplace
• TV respond with branded web sites free content
• cable experimenting with subscription-based content model tv everywhere / fancast
• cable companies experimenting with interactiveTV and social net based set top box applications
• branded entertainment as alternative immersive brand experience and identiﬁcation
• digital web and cable microtargeting vs homogeneous segmentation
newspaper, magazines & radio…the good old days
• newspapers / magazines storytelling -- paid subscriptions, advertising and classiﬁed revenue models
• radio hit songs, news, shock jocks -- ads based on delivering audience segments
changing consumption habits & industry responses
• information “snacking” free -- blogs, podcasts, e-zines, online news, print, etc.
• news as commodity…news-analysis and POV, compelling experience based differentiation
• advertising / classiﬁed dollars rapidly shifting online…Craigslist as newspaper killer?
• Kindle reader pioneering new space…USA Today, FT & Newsweek…is this the future?
• XM Satellite / Sirius and iTunes -- genre-speciﬁc ad-free music anytime, anyplace…radio killer?
• Pandora - personalized internet radio, social network-based music sharing free
• DRM-free / sharable music available on iTunes
• musicians direct to consumers via services like bandzoogle
changing shopping habits & industry responses
– b&m retail stores and catalogs… – stores as showrooms to check-out products live…buy online
– “trusted” sources evaluate & inﬂuence purchase decisions – e-tailers like Amazon, Wal Mart, eBay auctions, Craigslist
– e.g., travel agency as value-add one-stop-shop – comparative shopping engines like shopzilla, priceline
– pricegrabber.com iPhone comparison shopping
– e.g., travel agency commodity…
how does cnn differentiate in a commoditized information market?
immersive cross-platform information experience
cnn interactive tv
cnn use of perceptive pixel during election
breaking news alerts
cnn print ad
cnn facebook live streaming of inauguration
cnn cable broadcast
• skype on smart phones
• mobile location-based ads and applications…proximity marketing
• Kindle and iPhone up-scale…future newspaper / magazines / books..ads / classiﬁed
• ambient awareness -- Twitter tweets, Facebook News Feeds, LinkedIn Net Updates
• google android as ubiquitous platform OS…closed-loop microtargeting + measurement
Skype to Launch iPhone Software
Apple bows to AT&T
T-Mobile Blocks iPhone Skype Over 3G and WiFi
on the horizon
• ubiquitous computing “ubicomp” -- smart homes / ofﬁces / grids, etc.
• wearable technology
• sustainable, green movement
• global emerging markets…
Wireless Firms Eye 'Smart Grids'
Cellphone Carriers Cut Prices in
Aggressive Push for Deals With Utilities
EBay Clears Gmarket Acquisition
With Antitrust Authorities
marketing strategists ”how do we”:
• build loyalty / trusted brand in a media-fragmented / consumer-ADD market ?
• create on-brand, cross-platform, immersive brand experiences?
• differentiate when products / services are rapidly commoditized?
• monetize products / services when consumers are used to free?
• keep up with the rate of change!