the value of one… the power of many.
2. Today’s Speaker
3. Volunteer Calgary
…is a non-profit organization that
has over 450 member non-profit
organizations looking for
4. Volunteer Calgary
What is it all about?
6. Volunteers are people who:
• Give skills and time
• Help non-profit organizations and the
• …And do so without expectations of
7. Who benefits from volunteering?
• The Volunteer
• The Non-profit Organization
• You, Me, The Entire Community
8. But what is in it for YOU?
Contribute to the Share Your Skills and
knowledge Achieve a
Community personal goal
Meet New People
9. Discover new
passions and Learn something
talents Feel Great! new
Have an Make a difference in
adventure! someone’s life
10. My own experience as a volunteer.
made a greater mistake
than he who did nothing
because he could do only a little.
— Edmond Burke
12. Think about it: Do you want
• GIVE back to the community?
• WORK for social change?
• LEARN new skills?
• HELP others?
• MEET new friends?
• GAIN work experience?
• CREATE happiness in a hospice?
• DANCE with special people?
• LAUGH with little kids?
• ENJOY life?
13. What can YOU do?
Do something you love.
14. ONE Person can MAKE a Difference.
15. How to volunteer
2. SEARCH & MATCH
3. CONTACT (Get the important details:
address, contact person, time and date of
meeting, what you need to bring)
4. VOLUNTEER (Voila…you are a
16. How to volunteer
The Volunteer Calgary website
contains hundreds of local
volunteer opportunities waiting to
be filled at any given time.
17. SAMPLE KEYWORDS
Beauty & Fashion Entertainment
Boards Finance Music
Camps Accounting Projects
Committees Gardening Administration
Computers Employee Analytical
Editor Hardware Recruitment
Writing Software Web
18. Some Examples: Volunteer
• Labyrinth Inflatable Maze volunteers –
Calgary International Children’s Festival
• Recycling Roundup – Cerebral Palsy
• Web Designer – WP Puppet Theatre
• Bike Trail Monitor Volunteer - WinSport
19. Got Time?
If you have 5 minutes
You could call an elderly shut-in.
Drop by at any Carewest facility.
If you have 1 hour
You could give blood.
Make a pit stop at the Canadian Blood Services.
If you have 5 hours
You could tidy up a city park.
Join forces with the City of Calgary’s Adopt-A-Park.
If you have 5 days
You could build a home for a homeless family.
Lend a muscle to Habitat for Humanity.
If you have 1 month
You could raise funds for cancer research.
Brainstorm with the Canadian Cancer Society.
If you have 1 year
You could do all this and more!
Check out Volunteer Calgary
for hundreds of volunteer opportunities.
20. Remember: Everyone Counts
1. 71% of Calgarians volunteer
2. 3.7 hours per week are spent
volunteering, with an average of 15 hours
3. Over 5,000 non-profit organizations are in
the Calgary area. Most of them need
21. The Value of Volunteering
• Empowers individuals
• Aids non-profit organizations in their
• Strengthens communities
22. The Value of Volunteering
23. Rewards of Volunteering
It is one of the
most beautiful compensations of this life
that no man can seriously
help another without
— Charles Dudley Warner, 1873
24. The Value of Volunteering
To the community: