made a greater mistake
than he who did nothing
because he could do only a little.
— Edmond Burke
Think about it: Do you want
• GIVE back to the community?
• WORK for social change?
• LEARN new skills?
• HELP others?
• MEET new friends?
• GAIN work experience?
• CREATE happiness in a hospice?
• DANCE with special people?
• LAUGH with little kids?
• ENJOY life?
How to volunteer
2. SEARCH & MATCH
3. CONTACT (Get the important details:
address, contact person, time and date of
meeting, what you need to bring)
4. VOLUNTEER (Voila…you are a
How to volunteer
The Volunteer Calgary website
contains hundreds of local
volunteer opportunities waiting to
be filled at any given time.
Beauty & Fashion Entertainment
Boards Finance Music
Camps Accounting Projects
Committees Gardening Administration
Computers Employee Analytical
Editor Hardware Recruitment
Writing Software Web
Some Examples: Volunteer
• Labyrinth Inflatable Maze volunteers –
Calgary International Children’s Festival
• Recycling Roundup – Cerebral Palsy
• Web Designer – WP Puppet Theatre
• Bike Trail Monitor Volunteer - WinSport
If you have 5 minutes
You could call an elderly shut-in.
Drop by at any Carewest facility.
If you have 1 hour
You could give blood.
Make a pit stop at the Canadian Blood Services.
If you have 5 hours
You could tidy up a city park.
Join forces with the City of Calgary’s Adopt-A-Park.
If you have 5 days
You could build a home for a homeless family.
Lend a muscle to Habitat for Humanity.
If you have 1 month
You could raise funds for cancer research.
Brainstorm with the Canadian Cancer Society.
If you have 1 year
You could do all this and more!
Check out Volunteer Calgary
for hundreds of volunteer opportunities.
Remember: Everyone Counts
1. 71% of Calgarians volunteer
2. 3.7 hours per week are spent
volunteering, with an average of 15 hours
3. Over 5,000 non-profit organizations are in
the Calgary area. Most of them need
The Value of Volunteering
• Empowers individuals
• Aids non-profit organizations in their
• Strengthens communities