1. May 2013SOAP based WebServices: Automationwithout SOAP UI
2. SOAP based WebServices: Automationwithout SOAP UI:THOUGHTWORKS INDIA PVT LTD
3. Why Are We Here?u Brief introduction into Why WebServicesu Basics of SOAP based WebServicesu Challenges of SOAP UI automationu Test Framework development for a Sampleapplication and the advantages
4. Why WebServices: Main FrameDataBusiness LogicPresentationTerminal 1Terminal 2Terminal 3Terminal 4SimpleScalabilityPro’sCon’s
6. Why WebServices: Three TierDataScalabilityComplexAppServerPC’s Pro’sCon’s
7. Why WebServices: SOADataSimpleWebServicesPC’s
8. WebServices• REST Based WebServices• SOAP Based WebServicesSOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)WSDL (Web Services Description Language)
9. SOAP based WebServices• SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol• SOAP is a communication protocol• SOAP is for communication between applications• SOAP is a format for sending messages• SOAP is designed to communicate via Internet• SOAP is platform independent• SOAP is language independent• SOAP is based on XMLWhat is SOAP?
10. SOAP based WebServices• WSDL stands for Web Services Description Language• WSDL is written in XML• WSDL is an XML document• WSDL is used to describe Web services• WSDL is also used to locate Web servicesWhat is WSDL?
11. Challenges of SOAP UI• Coding on a Non-IDE environment• Debugging is close to non existent• Implementation of modularity needs extensive frameworkcapabilities making it non maintainable for medium – large sizedsuites• Extensively tied down to using XML• Integration with Continuous Integration mechanism is tricky• Proprietary Software requiring Licensing feeNote: Demo of SOAP UI using a Local Webservicedeployed on the Presenter’s Laptop
12. Advantages• Open Source• Can be implemented using a Object Oriented language• Integration with Continuous Integration mechanism is implicit• Changing Request and Response assertion is easier in Object thanXML format• Features of using an IDE can be used to our advantageNote: Demo of Writing a Framework in Java using theLocal Webservice deployed on the Presenter’s Laptop