1. OER Subject Strand Conference
(Biosciences, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine)
Royal Institute of British Architects
Dr Vivien Rolfe
2. The outcomes of our JISC/HEA Phase
1 OER project and objectives for our
JISC/HEA Phase 2 OER project.
(OER = Open Educational Resources)
3. • Virtual Analytical Laboratory (VAL) was part of
Bioscience Subject Centre “Interactive Laboratory
and Fieldwork Manual for the Biosciences”.
• JISC/HEA OER Phase 1.
• Aim: Turn VAL into an open resource.
4. • Content focused.
• Copyright cleared,
• Web promotion an after
5. • 9 lab topics (e.g. micro, histol,
• Animation (swf), audio (MP3),
PDF, video (FLV, MP4).
• Over 200 web pages of OER.
• Subscribe by RSS, iTunes.
6. • Resources uploaded to JorumOpen.
• API Strips (328 Views)
• Gram Stain (172)
• Staff OER Questionnaire (167)
• Views could be me. Views doesn’t mean use. No
measure of reuse. Hard to track repurposing.
10. • Low response n=25 from trash collectors to
life guards. 50% of respondents were in
Impact? Survey Monkey
11. Moving Forwards
• JISC Phase 2. “Sickle Cell
• Focus on search engine
optimisation and web
• Focus on tracking and
12. URL: http://www.sicklecellanaemia.org
DMU URL: http://www.scooter.dmu.ac.uk
Search Engine Optimisation: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us if you have any questions!