We need to Most common ways toimprove our communicatecommunication... 70 % of our mag es lI isua communication efforts are: Speakin g V 70% misunderstood misinterpreted rejected Bod y La n gua Writing ge distorted or not heard August 21, 2012 38
people are influenced,problems are solved,changes are facilitated,excellent relationships are developed,desired results are achieved, andsuccess is ensured. August 21, 2012 42
playsa vital rolein discoveringourselves &the worldaround us August 21, 2012 43
The quality of your life is the quality of your communication ~ both with yourself & othersAugust 21, 2012 44
is not just getting the message across but its acceptance from its intended receivers which causes the expected behaviour from the receivers of the messageonly then, the receivers will be willing to convert the communication into actionAugust 21, 2012 45
listen to, observe & interpret all forms of language is essential for effective communicationAugust 21, 2012 46
Love is so caring… COMMUNICATION INCLUDES BODY LANGUAGE, TONALITY OF VOICE & THE WORDS YOU USE. 55% + 38% + 7% = August 21, 2012 47
Communication, to be effective, must touch the heart.
Please write a letter to yourselfabout your communication skills
Strongest muscle in your body The strongest muscle in your body is your tongue. USE IT EFFECTIVELY. - It takes the interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.August 21, 2012 54
Take responsibility for every stage of the Communication Cycle: What is intended – What is spoken – What is heard – How it is understood – What is agreed to – What is acted on – How it is actually implemented – What results were really obtained. Be aware of where you or others tend to fall off the cycle.August 21, 2012 55
Common Communication Errors• Interrupting to complete others’ sentences• Preparing our response before someone has completed speaking• Multitasking while ‘listening’• Filtering content or meaning based on our opinion / prejudice August 21, 2012 56 about the speaker
1. Make sure that body language, your words & tonality are congruent – [ aligned and sending the same message ]
2. Maintaining eye contact – [ expression of your interest ]
3. Improve your voice culture – [ make it interesting ]
4. Be positive, precise and clear – [ ~ “don’t forget to complete the work by tomorrow.” ] [ ~ “please remember to complete the work by tomorrow.” ]
5. Good listening supplies the building blocks of good understanding and good communication skills ~ listening is an active process involving : ears – for verbal communication eyes – for non-verbal communication body – for gestures
6. Well-timed pauses give time for explanation, evaluation & development of thought ~ facial expressions reveal the difference between a pregnant pause and an embarrassed silence
7. Summarising is an essential skill which takes stock of the main points covered
8. Empathize with the receiver of the message ~ put yourself in the other person’s position, understand the other person’s perspective and then proceed to interact
9. Communication must appeal to both mind and heart ~ appealing to mind requires facts, evidence and logic ~ appealing to the heart, more difficult, requires ‘touching the soul’ - based on mutually respected values
10. Keep the communication simple ~ say it in simple sentences, with no twists and turns ‘communicate to express but not to impress’
11. Tell it and tell it again, if necessary ~ tell the point once – then come back and hit it again, and again.
12. Communicate with confidence ~ communication exposes your inner thoughts, feelings and sentiments. your confidence, or the lack of it, is getting transparently revealed.
13. Practice the art of communicating on paper ~ thinking on paper & saying on paper
14. Communication is irreversible ~ communication cannot be reversed [ reversible processes – water and ice irreversible processes – milk and coffee ] Only minimizing the hurt feelings is possible, but the damage has already been done. [ ~ forgive but not forget ] Be highly careful, thoughtful and purposeful
15. Communication is more a people process than a language process ~ communication is a series of actions and reactions communication influences our own and that of others’ behaviour communication reflects the true personality of an individual
16. Communication can always be improved ~ practice, more practice and much more practice
17. Communication and feedback ~ feedback ensures that message has been received in the manner, that was originally intended
18. Receiving feedback about Communication Asking others for honest feedback about the way you communicate – both positive and negative aspects - can be very helpful.
22. Communication and Continuous improvementImproving your communication skills is a process and cannot be accomplished overnight.Identify and then choose one or two traits – at a time – and now work on those over a period of time.
23. Communication and Facial expressions Facial expressions communicate the intentions more effectively – note that there are 80 muscles in the face, capable of more than 7,000 expressions.
Be Determined to improve your communication skills. Become aware of your own styles, observe others carefully, and launch a committed programme to im pro ve Your communication skills.96 August 21, 2012 96 Kerala