What is Work-Life Balance?
“Work-life balance is about people
having a measure of control over when,
where and how they work.
It is achieved when an individual‟s right
to a fulfilled life inside and outside work
is accepted and respected as the norm
– to the mutual benefit of the individual,
business and society.”
The Work Foundation
What is Work-Life Balance?
Work life balance
is an individual’s ability
to fulfill their work and
with minimal conflict and
Management of work
Wheel of Life
“Just as your car
runs more smoothly and requires
less energy to go faster and farther
when the wheels are in perfect alignment,
you perform better when your
thoughts, feelings, emotions, goals, and
are in balance."
WORK - LIFE BALANCE
trying to schedule
an equal number of hours
for each of your various
work and personal activities
~ that would become
usually unrewarding and unrealistic
~ and may be frustrating
How to recognize when you are
Take inventory on your life and thoughts
1. Am I continually ill?
2. Do I suffer mood swings everyday?
3. Do I constantly crave and over-indulge in something?
4. Do others seem to be moving forward when I am not?
5. Do I wish I was someone else?
6. Do I wish I was somewhere else?
7. Am I envious of another?
8. When I do things for others do I feel sad and empty?
9. Am I unhappy with ME, inside and out?
and further . . . . .
How to recognize when you are
10. Do you work late hours at office every day & take your work
at home as well?
11. Do you feel stressed about the amount of time you spend at
work, traveling to work or thinking about work?
12. Do you often take a lunch break which does not even last
for 30 minutes?
13. Do you miss out on quality time with your family and
friends because of pressure of work?
14. Do you think work is having a negative effect on your
15. Do you often think that you do not get enough time for
16. Do you feel anxious or upset because of what is happening
17. Do you feel tired or depressed because of work?
18. Do you often lose your temper at work?
Work - Life imbalance
Reduced work and family satisfaction
Increased psychological strain symptoms
Reduced positive affect and well-being
Increased work withdrawal
(late coming, absenteeism) and consequently,
decreased work performance
Increased marital and family withdrawal
Increased physical health symptoms –
insomnia, fatigue, headaches,
heart disease, etc.
Coming back into Balance
1. Sit in a quiet place, close your eyes and slow
down your breath
2. Let your mind take you through your life
3. Begin to look at it objectively
4. Start to ask yourself questions
• Am I truly happy?
• Do I want more out of life?
• Am I letting life pass me by?
5. Open your eyes and make a list on paper of
your needs and wants, honestly!!
6. Putting your wants aside for now, look at
Self Life Family
EVER THOUGHT OF
YOUR PURPOSE OF LIFE
IN RESPECT OF
EACH OF THESE
MULTIPLE ROLES ?
~ an attempt to express
all priorities and important aspects of
one’s ideal life?
Then, really plan to achieve your priorities ?
OPTIMAL WORK – LIFE
AMOUNT OF PRESSURE
Apathy Poor Judgment
Lethargy Bad Decisions
DO YOU CONSIDER
YOUR WORK-LIFE BALANCE
TO BE IN BALANCE
OUT OF BALANCE ?
Females tend to find it
more difficult than males
to strike the ideal balance
because of the
which NATURE & CULTURE
impose on the female parent.
YOU HAVE GOT TO WORK HARD
TO FIND A LIFE.
WHEN YOU FIND IT,
YOU CAN THINK OF
HOW TO JUGGLE & BALANCE
Write a mission statement for
yourself by considering the following
What is most important in my life?
What do I want to be in my life?
What will I need to do to become that?
How do I want to be remembered
by my family?
What do I want to be known for
by my office colleagues ?
1. Set aside time to reflect
on your life, dreams, and goals.
2. Determine your areas of strength.
3. Identify what you enjoy doing.
4. Set some short-term
(one day, one week, one month)
and long-term (2+ years) goals.
5. Schedule time to accomplish your goals.
6. Recognize and deal with stress
Work-Life Balance Decisions
1. Honestly assess How much Balance You Want
2. Choose a Talented, Supportive Companion (Spouse)
3. Clearly Communicate Career Expectations
4. Manage Work Expectations (set boundaries)
5. Refresh Yourself Regularly (take vacations)
6. Include your Spouse in Every Major Career Decision
7. Recognize there will be Tradeoffs
8. Review and Reassess regularly – Be reasonable and
responsive to the changing situations.
Your best individual work-life balance
will vary over time, often on a daily basis.
The right balance for you today
will probably be different for you tomorrow.
The right balance for you when you are single
will be different when you marry,
or if you have children;
when you start a new career versus
when you are nearing retirement.
There is no perfect, one-size fits all, balance
you should be striving for.
The best work-life balance
is different for each of us
because we all have different priorities and
YOUR LIFE NEEDS SELF MANAGEMENT
LIFE MGT. L=T
MIND MGT. T=Q
DEV. MGT. P=E
L=T=T= Q = P= E
THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS
PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
What is LIFE?
Life is a time period
between your „birth‟ and
the ultimate – „death‟
And, it‟s full of CHOICES……
You choose how you want it to be.
S = SELF
M = MOTIVATED
I = INITIATIVE (TO)
L = LEARN (AND)
E = EXCEL
LEARN TO EXCEL IN LIFE
THE SECRET OF EXCELLENCE LIES IN LEARNING
YOU ARE UNIQUE !
Set your Life-time
• Think what YOU WANT…
– to HAVE
– to BECOME
– to DO
Write down your Goals and put a target date
(only 3% people in the world write their goals and
all of them achieve those)
Don‟t you want to join that 3 per cent ?
BE A BETTER BETTER-HALF
If you are married,
become your spouse’s number one supporter,
the one who is always there supporting and
fueling hopes and dreams.
Develop together and
through the world
as an army of two.
Physically – Active
Mentally – Alert
Intellectually – Inspired
Spiritually – Awakened
Emotionally – Balanced
Morally – Strengthened
Socially - Relevant
So as to be a POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE and
CONTRIBUTING CITIZEN OF THE SOCIETY.
BECOME A SEED – AFFECT ETERNITY – AWAKEN DIVINITY
You sow a thought, you reap an action.
You sow an action, you reap a habit.
You sow a habit, you reap a character.
You sow a character, you reap a destiny.
The essence of a person is his character –
make yours unique, unblemished and
• Do not say you will do anything
unless you will indeed do it.
• Speak the truth and measure your words wisely.
• Be humble, straightforward, helping, friendly
W. A. T. C. H.
W = WORDS
A = ACTIONS
T = THOUGHTS
C = CHARACTER
H = HEAD & HEART
1 % OF YOUR TIME
TO BE INVESTED IN
SO AS TO
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE
THE SECRET OF SUCCESS :
CONSTANTLY & CONTINUOUSLY
ADOPT WORK IS WORSHIP ATTITUDE
The Importance of
quality time with family
1. TURN OFF THE CELL PHONE, WHEN
ENJOYING LEISURE ACTIVITIES.
2. CUT DOWN YOUR
3. PROPER APPORTIONMENT
OF TIME BETWEEN
FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
START THE DAY WITH L O V E
SPEND THE DAY WITH L O V E
FILL THE DAY WITH L O V E
END THE DAY WITH LO V E
~ THAT IS THE WAY
LOVE AND HOPE
ARE THE ONLY
THAT MAKE US LIVE
AND LOVE TO LIVE
To sum up:
• You are the author of your life: live your
life in line with YOUR values and YOUR
• Don’t forget: the goal is to achieve a
sense of well-being !
• Please remember that : What works for
one individual does not necessarily work
and also that what has worked for you in
the past 3, 4 or 5 years might not work
• Be prepared to adapt along the way.
• What did you learn?
• What things you want to implement
in your life, starting today?
• What are some key questions
you will ask yourself?
May GOD help YOU
in achieving your Goals.
GOD helps those
who help themselves.
For the sake of record
As on 9th July 2010 -
Prof. V. Viswanadham has uploaded live recordings of
more than 300 of his speeches to www.archive.org.
„Communication Skills‟ - has been downloaded, 419 times.
More than 150 Power Point Presentations, [ slides ]
can be freely viewed at: www.scribd.com
So far, 58,451 have viewed: 13,808 have downloaded.
One of the presentations, titled Communication Skills,
was viewed 7,702 times, and downloaded 1,098 times.
Thank you dear friends for helping me to reach many more.
this speech and
~ for listening to
more speeches and
and Search for Prof. V. Viswanadham
~ please download and then kindly listen.
In case YOU liked
~ for viewing more presentations,
on various topics,
Please visit : www.scribd.com and
search for Viswam.vangapally4581
and / or www.slideshare.net/viswanadham
In case YOU want to give
some feedback / contact me : Prof. V. Viswanadham
~ [040 – 2722 3383]