Competency based interviews Getting it right!
CODOCA MTVCOLA MARKETING
ADVERTISING AND OUTSOURCING
What and why?
The key to success
What are Competencies?
◦ Skills, knowledge and abilities to do the
How does it work?
◦ Real evidence and examples
Why and Who?
◦ Level playing field
◦ More and more employers!
The good news!
◦ Based on the JD and PS
Typical wording of questions
Tell me about a time…
Give an example of…
How do you deal with…
Probing – exploring your answer
◦ Give me an example of a project you’ve been
Possible probing questions:
◦ How did you plan the various tasks?
◦ How did you allocate responsibilities?
◦ How did you deal with any obstacles?
Identify competencies from the Job
Description and Person Specification
Suggest possible questions that could be
Evidence of CPD
◦ How do you keep up to date with developments in the information
Delivering an information service
◦ Describe a time when you provided a service beyond expectations
◦ How do you ensure training meets users needs?
Marketing and Promoting
◦ Describe a time when you have contributed to a marketing
initiative or promotion
◦ Tell me about a time when you have had to communicate
with senior staff
Organise and Prioritise workload
◦ How do you plan your time and prioritise?
◦ Describe a time when you had to deliver feedback to a
◦ Describe how you have dealt with change in your organisation
Calm under pressure
◦ Tell me about a time when you have had to work under pressure
◦ Give me an example of a situation when you were a member of a
team; what did you contribute?
◦ Describe a time when you have dealt with a difficult customer
Before the interview - prepare examples
Be specific not general
◦ Assume nothing!
Me, me, me NOT we, we, we!
The STAR Principle
What if I have no evidence?
◦ Situation, Task, Action, Result
When I worked at X I was part of the Information Services team. The team
was responsible for the delivery of an enquiry service (Situation). I took
the leading role in developing an enquiry logging system (Task). Through
one to one discussions with team members I gathered together user
requirements and produced a paper that pulled together what the team
needed the system to be able to do. I organised a team meeting and
discussed the paper with everyone to answer any questions or concerns.
I then sent the paper to the developers and this formed the basis of our
user requirements (Action). The developers then had a good idea of what
our requirements were and it saved time in the development phase of the
Create answers to one or two of your
Identify the competencies
Ensure answers are concise and specific
Increase your market value. Start right here!
Research shows that a Project Management Professional (PMP)®
Certification from CMMAAO Pvt. Ltd. ~ PMI , can increase your
earnings by 25%
Enjoy better career opportunities
Get certified and Get recognized.