2. Indian e-commerce companyHeadquartered in Bangalore, Karnataka Among the top 30 Indian Web sites Founders Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal (2007) In 2009, we had a topline of 20 crore. 1st Indian Internet Company to be valued at $1 Billion! Current manpower ~ 2500
3. Credited with being Indias largest online bookseller We sell 1.5 lakh books a month. That’s 3.5 books a minute! Great variety of products Books Various payment options Gadgets (Computers, Cameras, Gaming & Mobiles and accessories) Multiple payment methods like credit card, debit Music, Movies and Posters card, net banking, e-gift voucher and Cash on TV, Video and Audio Home and Kitchen Delivery Pens and Stationery Belts, bags, Watches and luggage Health and Beauty MP3 Downloads On-time delivery system Over 1 million registered users!Fantastic discounts Ships over 20000 items every day. More than half of those are books! Broke even in March 2010 Generated USD 11 million in sales last financial year
4. CompetitionWe get over 0.5 million unique visitors every month fromIndia Amazon gets 0.75 million unique visitors every month from India. And this is when they had not even started operations here!
5. Competition Map Infibeam Amazon ebay Indiatimes Star CJ Snapdeal Home Shop 18dealsandyou Magazine Mall Naaptol BookaddaBuytheprice Friends of book Amazon uRead
6. Business Problem
7. • The company is witnessing a problem in terms of extremely low profit margin• Also the number of customers ordering low value items to be delivered over long distances are higher, thus providing low margins and losses in some cases.• But we cannot discourage to lose out on such customers as they might be of lifetime value
8. • To tackle this problem, more premium products are available on the website so that the high margins from these products can subsidize the losses from selling low value products over long distance• The transaction cost is also same irrespective of the product ordered. Thus it makes more sense to earn more revenue per transaction• But the catch here is that Indian customers still prefer buying the high priced item at physical stores as it gives them the feeling of safety and trust• Also, the Brand Flipkart is more associated with Books rather than a full fledged retail portal
9. Where we areWith over 11.5 million book titles, 14 different categories, morethan 3 million registered users and sale of 30000 items a day, wecan say with utmost confidence that we are one of the leadinge-commerce players in the country.The “steroids” for our website are low prices, free shipping andan intuitive interface that makes it very convenient to search
10. Where we want to be We want to be the sustainable leader with profitabilityWe don’t want to continue the price war way butwant to concentrate more on customer service and a pleasant buying experience.
11. Target Group
12. Our primary customers are urban middle classwho are well versed in using the technology, arewell educated and are comfortable shoppingonline.India has only 52 million active internet users andonly 40% of them shop online.
13. The Brief• We have established a niche in the market by effective communication through its latest television campaigns• Now we want to focus on generating more revenue from the existing customers• Also our positioning has to change from cheap product offering to convenience, effective delivery & customer service