How do you convert a “like,” a “tweet,” or “pin” into a sale?
Social media + e-commerce = ? S-Commerce?
On the surface, it seems like a simple equation. In reality, it’s not.
• Social Shopping?
• SocialTV? Immersive Advertising?
• Online Product Info & Advice?
• Social Buying?
• Social Advertising?
• Social Upsell? Cross-Sell Q&A?
• Virtual Currency – via SNS?
• Game In-app social purchases/monetization?
• Digital Currency? Credits/Vouchers?
What is the new definition of s-Commerce?
More succinctly, social commerce is the use of social network(s) in the context of e-
1. Social network-driven sales - Facebook commerce and Twitter commerce
belong to this part. Sales take place on established social network sites and
related commerce sites (e.g. Zynga games, FB credits, Skype credits, BC).
2. Peer-to-peer sales platforms (eBay, Etsy, Amazon) - In these websites, users
can directly communicate and sell products to other users.
3. Group buying (Groupon, LivingSocial) - Users can buy products or services at a
lower price when enough users agree to make this purchase.
4. Peer recommendations (Amazon,Yelp, JustBought) - Users can see
recommendations from other users.
5. User-curated shopping (The Fancy, Lyst, Svpply) - Users create and share lists
of products and services for others to shop from.
6. Participatory commerce (Threadless, Kickstarter, CutOnYourBias) - Users can
get involved in the production process.
7. Social shopping (Motilo, Fashism, GoTryItOn) - Sites provide chat sessions for
users so they can communicate with their friends or other users for some advice.
7 Types of Social Commerce