http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unclesamwantyou.jpg no copyright on the image.
1. + The Pitch Deck KitA template created byDr. Virginia ChaOctober 2012Go ahead, copy the text. But attribute the photos.
2. You have a great idea…You have a great team…You have a great strategy …You have a great plan to execute… but how do you get attention?
3. Basic PPT Pointers for a PitchDeck: Audience Structure & Content Visual Appeal Delivery
4. A pitch is not a lecture. Be brief,bold, and clear
5. Audience –Design your presentation from your audience’sperspective.Keep answering for your audience “so what”
6. Structure & ContentLimit yourself to the most important contentand lay out your pitch in a logical sequenceYou have only 15 minutes to tellyour story – do *not* clutter it bytrying to show everythingin your bag of tricks12 slides maximum.Do a Demo!
8. CompanyAnswer for the audience – Overview (Brief Pitch)why are we here? Start with “This is what my company does…” Your first slide is utmost important! You lose or gain their interest right here. Describe your idea effectively: Whatproblem do you solve? Who has this problem? Tell about a use case, not “how it works”
9. + 9 So What? Make it Typical pitch So What? personal “We provide a “Any one can “You can resell widget to easily setup an e-shop your hard-to-get setup an e- in less than 5 concert tickets to commerce site and minutes and your friends even allow it to be leverage their though you can’t embedded in 7 social network to go last minute!” different social sell .” media platforms.” Does the job, but does not answer Better Personal appeal imprints the the so-what question message
10. Problem Statement So what? (include market and opportunity size) Get people nodding that this is an important problem Describe a pain point in a way people connect with Don’t go overboard with charts and analysts data!
11. Your Solution & So what? Competitive Landscape Describe your solution Usefamiliar references (“we enable everyone to be their own amazon.com”) Describehow you are positioned amongst your competitors Describe your targeted market and why your offer is differentiated/superior
12. So what? TechnologiesA demo is better Supplement if necessary a slide on what’s superior about your technology and any IP protection
13. So what? Go-to-Market Describeyour customers (if any); if none, describe how you are going to get the first 100 customers Describealliances and marketing strategies you need to achieve this Describe how these strategies will help you scale Avoid the “better mousetrap” answer on why people will use your innovation
14. So what? Your Team Can consider putting this slide in front Include your advisors, mentors, coaches, angels CV of previous work/startups important here Remember – your purpose for describing you and your team is to de-risk this deal for the investors! So,don’t drag out all of your accomplishments – just those that matter for this venture. This pitch is not an ego trip for you.
15. So what? How you make money aka business model Very important content slide! Who pays you? How do they pay you? Margins, etc. Canconsider using the Business Model Canvas by Osterwalder and Pigneur – a one-picture framework to describe your business model.
16. So what? What do you want? In Asian context – we tend towards nuanced communication. But to be blur is not the right approach at a pitch. Remember – BBC: Brief, Bold, and Clear. Tell them what you want – how much $$ for what valuation (e.g. “We need $100,000 in exchange for 10% equity.”).
17. Visual AppealUse large size fonts; no clutterGuy Kawasaki’s Font Size Rule**age of oldest person in the room/2
18. DeliveryDeliver it with passion and conviction! Remember – they areinvesting in you and your ability to deliver the dream.
19. + What is the #1 Reason for Investors to invest? You are the message. Keep your PPT simple!