Transcript of "9 d57206b cryptography & network security"
M.Tech - II Semester Supplementary April/May 2012 Examinations
(for students admitted in 2009- 10 & 2010-11 only)
CRYPTOGRAPHY & NETWORK SECURITY
(Common to VLSIS, VLSISD, VLSI & VLSID)
Time: 3 hours Max. Marks: 60
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) What is a block cipher? List out supporting principles. Explain briefly data encryption
(b) Discuss the importance of key distribution in symmetric encryption. Explain the role of
2. (a) Discuss the computational aspects of RSA with example. List out possible approaches
to attack RSA.
(b) Discuss the properties of hash functions. Explain its role in birthday attack.
3. (a) What problem was Kerberos designed to address? Discuss authentication dialogue
format in various versions.
(b) Discuss the fields of authentication header in IP security. List the key features of set.
4. (a) Discuss the terminology of malicious programs with example.
(b) List the goals of firewalls. Explain different types. Discuss the advantages of trusted
systems with examples.
5. Briefly discuss wireless LAN security factors issues.
6. (a) Explain attack taxonomy with example.
(b) List out specific attack results explain data security.
7. (a) Discuss message digest algorithm with example.
(b) Compare and contrast between conventional and modern encryption techniques.
8. (a) Discuss the components of hardening strategy. Explain supporting host operating
(b) Discuss the role of protocols in layer 2 security considerations.