EVALUATION: WHAT KIND OF MEDIA INSTITUTION MIGHT DISTRIBUTE YOUR MEDIA
PRODUCT AND WHY?
By Vincent Yau
Why have you chosen your production company logo?
• We have chose our production company logo
because our film opening is in horror genre where it
relates to the production company. The production
logo represents horror genre film. The logo suggests
that because it shows an old haunted house with a
moon and bats , which is a generic convention of
• We have decided to use black and white on the logo
because it’s a common combination colour used on
horror film. The colour contrasts between the text
and the image so that it is clear to see.
What is a production company? What do they do?
• A production company is a company for physical production of media,
performing arts, film or a television program. Production Company for
films provides the money, and sets the budget and make decisions on
what director, and actors can be hired, a production company also
handles scheduling, scripting, the production itself, and marketing,
therefore they are responsible if anything were to go wrong on the film
such as actor being injured or property being damaged.
• An example of a major production company:
20th Century Fox Pictures
What is the job of a film distributor?
• A film distributor is a really important role in film industry, it plays a big factor
in a film’s success.
• A film distributor controls the marketing and circulation of movies in theatres
and also home viewing such as television rights/DVD. The job of film
distributor involves in deciding how much the film is advertised on TV, internet
or magazine etc… The Distributor arranges screenings and uses other
marketing technique that will make the exhibitor believe they will profit
financially by showing the film.
• They also have to decide how many theatres in the film will show in and for
• Example of a film distributor: New Line Cinema
Which film distributor would you choose for your film and why?
What other films have they distributed that are similar to yours?
• I would like to choose Paramount Pictures as film
distributor for our film. It is ranked as one for the largest
film studios and the reason why I want to choose it is
because it has distributed various commercially
successful film where one of them include Paranormal
Activity. It is similar to our film because they are both in
How would your film be funded?
• I would hope that our film ‘Slendy’ would get funded by
national Lottery - UK film council/British film institute. It
supports UK film production, distribution, education,
audience development and market research.
• The national Lottery – BFI is well known, it distributes 27
million pounds to support film production and oher media
• If our film is funded by the BFI then we can solve the
financial problems and we are able to distribute Slendy in
the UK with the help of BFI.
Titles - Why do you need them? How
have you presented them?
• We have to put titles in our film opening because we need to show the
audience who participated and helped in the production of the film, it is
important to give them credits to prove that they worked on our film. The title
credits are shown at the bottom right of the screen throughout the film
opening like most other film opening, so that audience can focus on what’s
happening in the film as well as looking at the titles.
• However we have shown our main film title differently. We introduced it about
half way through of our film opening and also at the end of the film opening in
full size so that audience knows it is important and they will know what film
they are watching.
What films have influenced you from the
industry and why?
• In my opinion, the film ‘I know what you did last summer’ influenced
me the most. The film has a lot of suspense chase scenes which
gave me inspiration to our film opening. Although it is a slasher film
but I think the micro features are similar to paranormal which we have
used in our film.
• The other film is Paranormal Activity. It gave us ideas on how to use
camera angles effectively to show tension and suspense such as the
picture on the bottom right.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.