Signature based Problem Solving
Oracle Corp. India
• ITIL – An overview
• Problem Management – Goals & Objectives
• Knowledge Assisted Problem Resolution
• Signature Matching Technology
• Q & A
• Service Engineering Group
ITIL – An overview
The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) defines the organisational structure and
skill requirements of an IT organisation and a set of standard operational management procedures
and practices to allow the organisation to manage an IT operation and associated infrastructure.
The operational procedures and practices are supplier independent and apply to all aspects within
the IT Infrastructure.
• reduced costs
• improved IT services through the use of proven best practice processes
• improved customer satisfaction through a more professional approach to service delivery
• standards and guidance
• improved productivity
• improved use of skills and experience
• improved delivery of third party services through the specification of ITIL or ISO 20000 as the
standard for service delivery in services procurements.
Problem Management Goals
• Minimize the adverse impact of Incidents and Problems on the
business, and to prevent recurrence of Incidents related to these
• In order to achieve this goal, Problem Management seeks to get to the root
cause of Incidents and then initiate actions to improve or correct the
• The Problem Management process has both reactive and proactive aspects.
• The reactive aspect is concerned with solving Problems in response to
one or more Incidents.
• Proactive Problem Management is concerned with identifying and
solving Problems and Known Errors before Incidents occur in the first
Signature Matching Technology (SMT)
Stores pre-defined root causes and matches in a repository
Collect the Problem Definition from Customers
Relies on the log files and/or signatures of an application
Looks for possible match for all the problems defined
Does a matching & generate report.
• Categorize the problem into symptoms
• Define Workflows for every symptom/problem
• Associate corresponding workflows and run them to match the root
• Match possible root cause to a problem/Solution