Evolution of Internet in India
Penetration |Demography | Age | Gender |Geography
Internet Surfing Habits
Internet Advertising India
Social Media – the next catchment area
Future of Advertising – confluence of mediums
The Online Medium
The Internet is the only medium that lets us do all this
1995 • VSNL introduces internet in India via dialup in 6 cities on Aug 14,1995
• Rediff.com launched by Ajit Balakrishnan.
1996 • India’s first cyber café called “Cybercafe” launched in a Mumbai hotel
• First online banking site launched by ICICI Bank
1997 • Naukri.com launched; this becomes India’s first profitable dotcom
• Sabeer Bhatia’s Hotmail sold to Microsoft for $400 million in USA ; he becomes the poster boy of the Internet age to Indians
• India introduces new ISP policy which ends VSNL’s monopoly on internet
• Sify becomes India’s first ISP
1998 • First major hacking case-teenagers hack data on BARC’s servers
• Cybercafés start mushrooming across Indian cities
• First cyber crime related arrest-2 arrested for hackinggo2nextjob.com
• Indian Railways launches online ticketing site, irctc.com
2001 • India’s first cyber crime police station opens in Bangalore
• Dotcom bubble bursts – some sites close, some go into hibernation
• Dotcoms start exercising exit options
• EBay buys out Bazee.com & Monster.com buys Jobsahead.com
2004 • First Indian Dotcoms IPOs are successful– indiabulls.com &indiainfoline.com
• A high profile cyber crime exposes sheer inadequacy of India’s IT laws - Baazee CEO jailed for MMS scandal
• Youth is a key driver for the growing Internet base in India, with openness and adaptability to change being key factors.
• The office is now the major access points for the Internet this year, having surpassed the popularity of cyber caf?s that were prominent last
• Oniline gaming emerges as a revenue model. online gaming industry in India at Rs 210 million
• Financial cos check online advertising growth at 32%
2009 • Online display advertising industry, grew at 38 per cent in 2008-09 to Rs 325 crore
• Social Media becomes the high point in online engagement
• India has an active internet population of 52 million
• With a penetration level of 5.2% expected to reach 10% by 2015.
• The country's Internet population has grown 2600% since 2000
• 58% of the Indian online population is in the age group of 19-35
• 36% of Internet users from India are from small towns and rural India
• Sec C/D/E account for 35% of Indian internet users
• 78% of the young audience prefer Internet to television when it comes to
entertainment / information**
Online Ads Market in India
• Online ad market in India is approximately INR 2350 Million in 2007-08.
• expected that reach INR 3500 Million in 2008-09
– Increase in Internet Penetration
– Increase in the online activities of
the Internet users
– Targeted Niche Advertising
– Branding Power
– Cost Effective
– Behavioural Targeting
– Creative Output
– Online Sales
– Global Reach
Size of Internet Advertising
• PWC 's report states that internet advertising will grow 32 per cent over the next five years
and touch Rs 1,100 crore in 2012 from Rs 270 crore in 2007.
• In 2007, the segment grew 69 per cent to Rs 270 crore from Rs 160 crore in the previous
year. This was the highest growth compared with all other segments in the entertainment
and media industry.
• The share of Internet in the overall advertising pie is projected to grow to 2.4 per cent in
2012 from 1.4 per cent in 2007.
• In the US for comparison the online advertising industry contributes around 10% to the total
• Globally it is estimated that market size is $45 billion for Internet advertising, which is 7.4
percent of the total $600 billion global advertising market
Email Banner s Mobile
Website/Microsite Options Search Engines
Content Integration Social Media
Apps / Widgets
SOCIAL NETWORK MARKETING
THE NEXT CATCHEMENT AREA
– It is a platform for connection between like minded people or those that have a
– Communities or groups are initially formed on physical connections & social
networks radiate outwards based on common interests between people
– Social networking provides the platform for people to engage & find other like
15,000 Indians watched a
1,000 Indians tweeted about their day
8,000 Indians updated their status message
15,000 Indians watched a video In the last 5 mins..
SOCIAL-NETWORKING SITES ARE OFFICIALLY
MORE POPULAR THAN MOST SITES!
200,000,000 (65,000 new
45% have started their own blog
1.5 million of active online
users have read a
IT’S A FUNDAMENTAL SHIFT IN THE
WAY WE COMMUNICATE.
Which means it’s….
“Content is the new democracy and
we the people, are ensuring that our
voices are heard.”
Brian Solis, “The Social Media Manifesto”
PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT
YOUR BRAND. RIGHT NOW.
Tomorrow’s consumers are
today’s “digital natives.”
But where does
fit in a marketing
Consumers expect to see commercials
messaging on portals & sites.
But on social network sites, without
relevance & context, it has the ability to
possibly devalue & detract from a
brands relevance, stature & esteem.
Continual rise of social media:
Content creation is mainstream
New influence landscape: the rise of social media
Read blogs / weblogs
Start my own blog/ weblog
Leave a comment on a blog site
% Ever Done
Upload my photos to a photo sharing site
Upload a video clip to a video sharing site
30% Watch video clips online
20% Create a profile on a social network
Social Media adoption over time (waves 1 – 3)
Global Average. Source: Universal McCann Social
0% Media Tracker Power to the People
Wave 1 Sep 06 Wave 2 June 07 Wave 3 March 08
Results from the social media tracker have consistently proved the massive
growth of social media platforms and movement of content creation into the
Visualizing the social network
Micro social networks
that exist with a set of
Enabled through platforms such as blogs, media sharing, feeds, communities, mobile
technology etc. – people are meeting, connecting, organizing, sharing and collaborating in
Five key Social Marketing take outs
• Absolute relevance
– Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should
– Understand your audience & reason for being
– Offer something your audience wants
– If it looks like an ad & smells like an ad, it won’t work in social networking
– What does success look like ? What is the economic value of the campaign ?
The new Consumer
The TV Generation The Net Generation
• Switch off • Switch On
• I receive • I send & receive
• Couch Potato • Subway Surfer
• Helpless • Powerful
• Monoculture • Multi-culture
• United • Fragmented
The New Broadcaster
Broadcasting 1.0 Broadcasting 2.0
– Closed systems – Open Network
– One to many – One to One
– Many to Many
– The Network =Power – Networked = Power
So what is Content, in the Future?
• Professionally produced and traditionally / legally owned
• Created by the Users and sharedalike- commons-public-free-etc
• Meta-Content: the Users’ data and click-streams layered around other (professional)
• Pro Content ‘appropriated’ by Users
– The Users themselves
• the Power of the Link Economy
– The Real-Time Web is here
– Following Logic (from Impressions to Followers)
– Filtered & Curated by Pros and Peers
– The shared ‘National’ Experience is back!
– Fragmentation and Aggregation
It’s hard to ‘own’ a copy now but You can own the…
Context, the Meaning, the Relevance, the Experience, the Embodiment, the Timing...
Curation: Exposing and Seeding, Testing,
A lot of Content Producers will expand into becoming
Rating, Tagging, Contextualizing,
- Context Providers, Curators, Aggregators, Packagers... Remixing, (Re-)Framing, Packaging...
• The new content economy has created a huge opportunity
to create new models of communication
• The peripheries of content will rule and not just the content
• Adding value should be the focus, not extracting it
• Focus on the audience, first, and only then on the revenues
• Constant Innovation is the key – there is no handbook to
• Evolution of Internet in India :
• Internet Statistics
– http://iamai.in/ (IAMAI- ICUBE 2009)
• Emergence and Rise of Social Media
• Evolved Conversation Prism
• Visualizing the social Network
• Future of Media
• Vikram Gupta
– Digital Marketing Professional
– Business Head (Delhi) @ Ignitee Digital Solutions Pvt Ltd.
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.