1. Wiki’s World Fantastic Two Vijaya kumar pathipati (Gl) Anil Bheema
2. Wiki’s Birth & Background Ward Cunningham created the first wiki in 1995 To quick way of publishing information collaboratively on the Web. The original WikiWikiWeb site (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki) created by Cunningham still exists and is actively maintained by users. Wiki technologies are increasingly being used to support development work across distributed teams.
3. What is Wiki and Why? A Wiki or wiki is as pronounced "wicky" or "weekee“ Wiki is a Web site or other hypertext document collection Separate style from contents All documents must be editable by anybody Must work on all devices / platforms keep things simple use a simplified markup system
4. Wiki’s Web Now The web is increasingly complex Thousands of lines of W3C(World Wide Web Consortium) specs Raw use by users ==> coherence problems Sophisticated Web Technologies simplify organisation, complexify editing dynamic content back ends: database + ASP, template engines...
5. Wiki terminology a WikiWikiWeb site is a set of webs. a web is a set (flat directory) of topics. a topic is a web page WikiNames: [A-Z]+[a-z]+[A-Z]+[a-z0-9]+.* are interpreted as links to the page/topic of the same name If the page does not yet exist, link is post fixed by ?, going there creates a new page: Any user can easily create a new page.
6. Wikipedia – The Largest Wiki Wikipedia is the largest and best-known Wiki – see <http://www.wikipedia.org/>. It is a good example of a Wiki in which content is provided by contributors around the world. It provides an environment and culture which has minimised the dangers of misuse. Details of Wikipedia are given on the Wikimedia Web
7. Wikipedia History Formally began on January 15, 2001 as a complement to the Nupedia project
8. How Big is Wikipedia Globally English – 412,000 articles German – 172,000 articles Japanese – 87,000 articles French – 66,000 articles Swedish –53,000 articles Over 1.2 million across 200 languages 19 with >10,000. 52 with >1000
9. How popular is Wikipedia? ~400 Million page views monthly According to Alexa.com, Wikipedia is more popular than the websites of: IBM Paypal Open Directory Project Geocities
10. Wikipedia in the News Answers.com
11. Why Wiki’s? Anyone can write articles – Topics not restricted Technology manageable – Could be accomplished within one quarter Instant publishing to a world-wide audience – 27% of first search results go to Wikipedia Collaborate with an external community The wiki software keeps track of every edit made and its a simple process to revert back to a previous version of an article
12. Why Not Wiki’s? Anyone can edit so this may be too open for some applications, for example confidential documentation. However it is possible to regulate user access. Open to SPAM and Vandalism if not managed properly. Using wiki may have same disadvantage of using computers for long time. It may cause health related(posture, sight)problems if not used properly.
13. Conclusion Wikipedia is a community Wikis are instantaneous people located in different parts of the world can work on the same document The wiki software keeps track of every edit made and its a simple process to revert back to a previous version of an article widens access to the power of web publishing to non-technical users