2.  Places where people live and carry out their everyday activity is known as settlement.
3. Two types of settlement Rural Urbansettlement settlement
4.  The majority of its inhabitants are involve in activity like farming, fishing, forestry, mining. The pattern of rural settlement can vary from a single farm to a cluster of houses.(dispersed, linear and nucleated.)
5.  The majority of people are engage in non – rural activity. They work in office, shops and factories, operate machinery, provide health care or other services. urban settlement can be small like 1000 people or can be as large as Tokyo- Yokohama in Japan with over 30million people.
6.  In the past most of the population lived in rural areas.
7.  Country such as Singapore, Japan, united states of America, Australia, Germany, united kingdom more than three quarter of population were living in urban towns or cities. These are first world country. In other countries such as India , China ,Egypt , Nigeria, most people live in rural areas. These are third world country.
8.  In the form of village, surrounded by farms With Small population. Occupation such as forestry, farming ,fishing mining, tourism. Service provided are in limited range and mostly for every day needs. Close knit communities and the atmosphere is quiet. dominance of community feeling.
9.  In the form of towns and cities. They are large, both in population and area. Has functions such as business, manufacturing, government cultural center. Wide range of services offered including specialized service. Like- Unlike rural settlement, neighborhood is separate with limited knowledge of others. Traffic and pollution problem.
10.  Services listed are those of the highest level likely to be provided in the different settlements: Service Rural Settlements Urban Settlements Health Medical clinic Hospital Education Primary school University Shopping General store, market Shopping mall Moneylender, co- Finance International bank operative Transport Bus service International airport
11. Trade increases (farm products).It will attract theentrepreneurs and workers. Hence settling thepeople from every where. New and better government policies such as rail and road link it to the other centers. Which requires workers and establish the settlement. Mineral resource or hotels for tourist may change rural areas into large urban center. Like Kuala lumpur. Small rural settlement near large urban settlement may become preferred places for people to live. It becomes outer suburb of large settlement.
12. Dispersed Linear Nucleated
13.  Generally surrounded by huge farmland. Suitable for growing crops and raising livestock. Houses are wide apart.
14.  Settlement may follow the river or road, canal or railways. It is due to easy access to transport ,fresh water or fishing . Roads also attract the shops beside the settlement.
15.  Buildings are close around the central point. The central point can be town square, religious centre, road junction or a mine. There are many reason for the development of this pattern like water ,mine or a defence site. Maximum use of land in nucleated setting. Close neighbours are good companion in times of troubles.