Improvement in Food Resources
What we are going to Learn
• Why do we need to improve our food
• What are the various food sources of
nutrients that we require to maintain a
• What is various Cropping Seasons?
• What are the Strategies/practices used to
improve these resources?
What is the need for improving our
• There is a need to introduce production efficiency of crops
and livestock because-
rapid increase in population (4 times since Independence)
No major scope of increasing area of land under
cultivation(only 25% increase in cultivable land area)
How can It be done? – By employing sustainable practices!
Q: What are Sustainable Practices?
• Increase in food production and nutrient quality, without
degrading our environment and disturbing the ecological
balance is required in agriculture and animal husbandry.
Major Advancements for Increase in
Food Production in Our Country
• The Following are the advancements in our
country to increasing our food production.
Green Revolution – Increase in Crop yield, variety
White Revolution – Increase in Milk Production
Blue Revolution – Increase in Fish production
Yellow Revolution – Increase in oil seed
Types of Crops Grown in our Country
(Crops that are sources for various important nutrients)
• Cereals: wheat, rice, maize, millets and sorghum.
Provide carbohydrates for energy requirements.
• Pulses: pea, gram, black gram, green gram, pigeon pea
and lentil. Provide proteins for Body Development
• Oilseeds: soya bean, ground nut, sesame, castor,
mustard, linseed and sun flower. Provide necessary
• Vegetables, spices and fruits provide vitamins and
minerals for body functioning.
• Fodder crops like berseem, oats or sudan grass are
raised as food for the livestock(Cattle and Poutry)
Cropping Seasons in India
• Different crop require different climatic
conditions, temperature and photoperiods for
their growth and completion of life cycle.
• Crops which grown in rainy season are called
kharif crops. Kharif crops: paddy, soya bean,
pigeon pea, cotton, green gram etc.
• Crops which grown in winter season are called
rabi crops. Rabi crops: wheat, gram, peas,
mustard, linseed etc.
Differences Between Kharif-Rabi Crops
Kharif crop Rabi crop
1. Sown in the months of june- july. 1. Sown in the months of October-
2. Crops grow in hot and wet conditions 2. Crops grow in cold and dry
3. Crops are harvested during
3. Crops are harvested during marchapril
Strategies or Practices we use to
Improve our Existing Food Resources
IMPROVING CROP YIELD
• The practices involved in farming to improve our yield are
divided into three stages. They are
a) Appropriate Choice of seeds for planting.
b) Improving Nurturing of the crop plants
c) Protection of the growing and harvested crops from loss.
• Hence the major activities for improving crop yields can be
• Crop variety improvement
• Crop production improvement
• Crop protection improvement
Why is Improvement in our food resources
Differentiate between Kharif and Rabi Crops,
What are the various sources for nutrients
required in our diet?
Do you know ?
Operation Flood is a project of the
National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) which
was the world's biggest dairy development
which made India, a milk-sufficient nation,
the largest milk producer in the world, surpassing
the USA in 1998.
Verghese Kurien ( Known as the Milkman of India)
created a Co-operative society where he employed