2. Agenda● Presentations– Vidyaratha Kissoon– Roger Nurse– Lenandlar Singh● Discussion– How do we promote in Guyana?
3. What on earth...● Open Source Software● Open Design● Open Source Hardware● Hardware Freedom
4. What is open..● “... Openness, in short, is more than a commercialand cultural issue. It’s a matter of survival. Systemicchallenges such as climate change, or resourcedepletion – these ‘problems of moral bankruptcy’ –cannot be solved using the same techniques thatcaused them in the first place. Open research, opengovernance and open design are preconditions for thecontinuous, collaborative, social mode of enquiry andaction that are needed.” John Thackera Open DesignNow”
5. Open Source (Software)● Code (blueprint) is shared widely● Improvements are made● New products are created● Goal is not profit, but creation for open use● Sometimes free● Peer review, collaboration, across boundaries● Internet enabled
6. Open Design● “Open design is the development of physicalproducts, machines and systems through useof publicly shared design information”Wikipedia● Collective Invention● Trends● Current projects
7. Open Design – Collective InventionEpisodes of Collective Invention, Peter B. Meyer, U.S. Bureau of Labor StatisticsWorking Paper 368, August 2003
8. Open Design – Guyana?
9. Open Design - Trends● Common Good – volunteer skills● Collaboration in advanced projects – shareresources● Application of the high tech solutions to localdevelopment eg 3D Printing
10. Open Design – ProjectsRepRap general-purpose 3Dprinter that not only could beused to make structures andfunctional components for open-design projects but is an open-source project itself.Zoybar open source guitar kit With 3-Dprinted body
11. Open Source Hardware● Hardware created and shared with all designcomponents– Software, schematics, drawings, bills of quantity,Hardware Definition Language code, etc● Electronics, Cameras, Robotics, Computers..
12. Hardware Freedom!Open Hardware and Design AllianceFreedom 0: The freedom to use the device for any purpose.Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the device works andchange it to make it to do what you wish. Access to the completedesign is precondition to this.Freedom 2: Redistribute the device and/or design(remanufacture).Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the device and/or design,and release your improvements (and modified versions ingeneral) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.Access to the complete design is precondition to this.