1. JAZZ(TASTIC) Every interview you ever wished for, but didn’t have the connections or courage to get (we stalk our interviewees and ware them down until they agree ;) ) So here we are with Victorious Secret (or Emma, Simon, Ivy, Jay, Shannie and Flavia), a group of young people who are making waves with their online magazine entitled accordingly [Victorious Secret]. We’ve been trying to get this interview for a while and (finally) our people tracked down their people and here w e are! Jazz is incredibly giddy for this interview, so be kind guys ;) Editor in Chief Creative Director Simon Ramsden Flavia Vintila Victorious Secret is: Executive Editor Fact Checker Shannie Tu Ivy Huang Copy Editor Managing Editor Emma –Zhuo Yi Jay Gada
2. JAZZ: Hiya all! Let’s just jump straight in because you’re still working on this week’s edition of your mag! We are all aware of some ground rules for collaboration. How would you say that they apply (or fail to apply) to your own group work? SIMON: The bringing together of complementary skills and competences has IVY: hmm… good question. I think I have a certainly played a role in our group work. At first marvellous group that everyone has the same it was difficult as each person came from a goal and spare no efforts to fulfil it. We come different background and saw a question or from different countries, and have different innovation differently than another member backgrounds. Although, we met some problem (Marketers see one thing, information because of the culture gap at first, we solved technologists another etc). However what may this problem and established a smooth way to have started as a hindrance was soon turned into collaborate with all members. We build a well-‐ an advantage, with each member valuing the down communication flow and choose a good others experience and serving to knit together platform to cooperate with each other. An various creative ideas and strategies. entrepreneurial team need specific roles, such as team leader, monitor evaluator, innovator. I believe everyone is capable of taking the SHANNIE: In victorious secret, one of our responsibility in two roles at least. In my view, methods to collaborate is that using specialty of collaboration that is everyone can develop and each member, but avoiding our demerits. Since show up their strength, and everyone know we come from diverse background and major in his/her role and contribute himself /herself to university and we expert at different area, we do the best. I think we achieve that. will separate work depends on our own expertise and knowledge, for example, I have ideas, but I cannot express well in English. EMMA: All of innovative magazines and slides are However, Simon is good at English, thus he our group properties. Although I am not sure what could help me to modify the sentences and the mutual benefits for our group are, I think that make the report smooth after I explain to him. the mutual benefits mostly come from that we share Furthermore, Flavia who has great sense of and respect other people’s ideas. There is n o one pretty could do beautiful magazine, so she is want to control the whole group, which is a good responsible for this part. illustration for the synergistic capabilities. FLAVIA: Like my team mates have already JAY: Referring to the background synthesis, I would stated, we are diverse (both culturally, say that that as the teaching method is very different academically and on a personal level) but we’ve from what I have studied in my country (India). It come together in the best way possible. Everyone is assigned a task, according to their was difficult to understand this subject and style of area of expertise, and things just seem to come teaching, not just me, who found is difficult but all together at the end. I’m not saying we are the member understood it in different perspective perfect, but through the problems we faced at but we soon made up with the methodology and the beginning (i.e. new people, new place, adapted the innovative style and now we are doing where the hell am I?) we have come quite close well. to being a well-‐oiled machine…now if only the software would always cooperate…..
3. JAZZ: Fantastic! They warned me you guys were talkative. So yeah (cough), moving on: Has anything you’ve learned (good and bad) from your group work helped you SIMON: Starting with the positive I have learnt understand more about that collaboration often results in m ore thought collaboration? out ideas and proposals, as each member has a different skill that to bring to the table (Cultural EMMA: My group members are very effective to Diversity is a bonus!). Secondly communication is do our work; they always focus on the most key for fair division of labor, and for the piecing important things. I also find my partners very enjoy together of assignments/group workshop reports, the process of our work, especially some parts of this can take place via Facebook (which is how our work regarding the innovative imagine. The bad group communicates for the most part), texting, or thing is that we decided very plan very quickly or face to face, just make sure it happens!. The communicate on Facebook, so we don’t have negative aspects are few and far between, but enough time sitting and chatting with each other perhaps developing clear deadlines and as friends. timeframes for all members to adhere to would have benefited our group; as well as more JAY: In the early stage of our group work, it took activities outside of university assignments. time to collaborate as we all being from different culture and country but as weeks past the SHANNIE: I think I leant more good communication started developing and we experiences from our group. For instance, I will formally began the talk and it helped me to understand what sentences are right or not in understand other members, the ways each of my answer after improving from others. them thinks and works in different manner which Another significant point makes me realize more developed my interest to work in group, show in cooperation is that expression of Tacit performance and improved my knowledge in Knowledge. When we think by ourselves, we different aspects of the subject. only think about a part that is not complete. However, we could make idea up from other IVY: Because this is my first time to cooperate members’ viewpoint or even extend other ideas though brainstorming and discussion. with people who come from different country, It makes me understand how important of communication. In the past, collaboration with FLAVIA: Collaboration, to me, is the coming similar countries is quite easy, because we know together of a number of people in a harmonious each other culture, customs and behavior. But manner; we are not those people. Yes, we now, it is a challenge. Sometime I use improper communicate; yes, we acknowledge everyone’s words or expression to express my thought and it opinions but we do it in a kind of happy chaos. I’ve will make thing become more complicated. learned, from this wonderful group of people, that Therefore, I realize communication is not only making yourself heard does not have to be an uphill based on speaking. I could write down my idea or battle, that you help each other (regardless how using drawing to explain my idea as well. Next, I inconsequential). We are a bit bad with time-‐ also learn how to control the schedule of project management, but we have each member monitoring (assignment) is important. If we have a good a different aspect of our work now, so over-‐coming blueprint first, it is easy to follow the rest of part. hurdles is becoming our daily workout really.
4. JAZZ: Haha, I never thought you guys had problems to overcome. Last question and then you are free to go (because one member keeps fidgeting with her cigarette pack hehe) As I was saying, how successfully have you adapted your work style to accommodate problems/difficulties you have encountered? JAY: We work in “kind of” different ways EMMA: I always heard complaints from other from other group, as there are many other people, when they do group work, some group assignments and coursework, we do not members tend to excessively insist their own ideas spend time on table and chair for hours long and ignore other people’s suggestion. This situation and d iscuss nothing productive, we use the may ruin the collaboration among group members. different electronic mean of communication My work style is using an open altitude to receive my like Facebook group chat and different group members’ idea. I try to understand various software to make our work look creative and innovative, distribute work, allot time to work ideas from other people, and sometimes I am likely to combine others’ suggestion with my own ideas. and the collaborate all the work together and Because everyone has their own thinking ways or make it for workshop iSearch with mutual understanding that helps us to save time and experiences to consider the same things, if we try to receive different concepts, it may enrich our own work more for other subjects as well. knowledge. SHANNIE: Sometimes, we will meet some IVY: So far, in my opinion, we have the efficient problems and barriers in order to p ush our way to do our coursework. report become innovate and b etter. Of We take advantage of technology to cooperate with course, we might have d ifferent opinions our team member. from each member, then we might overcome We use facebook as our discussion venue. these problems by communication, Compared with other group, we work efficient and consultation and compromise as well as think have higher productivity. We also u ser it to upload the issues by other’s view. In fact, our our document, and everyone can edit and review it teamwork is great and smooth until now. easily. In the first week, we needed to send the assignment to each member and it was hard to do the vision control. One person summarised the file become finial file, but it still need to send back to all member. Now, document vision control become easy and clear. We are keen on this way n ow, but the only d rawback is …. You need to check out facebook all the time. :) Sometime, unknown people will guess we are have fun in facebook, but the true is that we are working… Continued on next page
5. SIMON: My academic background drilled in to FLAVIA: Not much to say really, being the me that there was one way of doing things, one last one to respond kinda makes me look like I’m mold in which to present things, and one way to recycling everybody else’s ideas haha; Similarly format an assignment. 504 has caused me to think to Simon, my groupwork in undergrad was done how this style and structure can be creatively with my group, in an enclosed space, for hours adapted, without losing the value and importance on end. I was so tired once that I started talking of content. This is problematic for me at first since in Romanian and my teammate (English) was so I am what many call an auditory learner, not a tired he didn’t notice for about 15 minutes. That visual one. Meaning I do not easily see the value of used to be my work-‐style, if you’re being graphs/pictures over written text nor do I always unproductive, at least pretend you’re productive agree that they fully convey an argument as with the entire group; needless to say, I’m glad opposed to three paragraphs of structured text. we mixed things up now. We might lag behind or Moving to a magazine format therefore, was new it might take us a while to start a project, but and exciting and has helped me understand the once each member has his/her task we all go, do benefits of visual aid. our work in whichever way we prefer, share it all online, comment and give pointers where Similarly most of my background revolved around necessary and we meet up after all that (after completing individual assignments, whilst course everybody is familiar with everybody else’s is largely concerned with working at a team. I work) and we put it together. It’s efficient really. have had to adapt my usual pace to fit with the groups, which I thought would be a challenge, but it actually has not been a problem so far. JAZZ: Fantastic! Awesome interview guys and girls! Hope you all enjoyed our little exclusive chat with the people behind Victorious Secret and check us out next week! There’s another hard to get interview! Now go visit Victorious Secret’s blog ;) Bye!