1. Joshua 1:1-9
Now after the death of Moses the servant
of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord
spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses'
Moses my servant is dead; now therefore
arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all
this people, unto the land which I do give
to them, even to the children of Israel.
Every place that the sole of your foot
shall tread upon, that have I given
unto you, as I said unto Moses.
From the wilderness and this Lebanon
even unto the great river, the river
Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites,
and unto the great sea toward the
going down of the sun, shall be your
There shall not any man be able to
stand before thee all the days of thy
life: as I was with Moses, so I will be
with thee: I will not fail thee, nor
Be strong and of a good courage: for
unto this people shalt thou divide for
an inheritance the land, which I sware
unto their fathers to give them
Only be thou strong and very
courageous, that thou mayest observe
to do according to all the law, which
Moses my servant commanded thee:
turn not from it to the right hand or to
the left, that thou mayest prosper
whithersoever thou goest.
This book of the law shall not depart
out of thy mouth; but thou shalt
meditate therein day and night, that
thou mayest observe to do according
to all that is written therein: for then
thou shalt make thy way prosperous,
and then thou shalt have good
Have not I commanded thee? Be
strong and of a good courage; be not
afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for
the Lord thy God is with thee
whithersoever thou goest.
Dumdoma ang akon sugo,
“Magpakalig-on ka kag
magpakaisog! Indi ka magkahadlok
ukon magpakaluya, kay Ako, ang
Guinoo nga imo Dios, maga upod sa
imo bisan diin ikaw makadto.”
• Fear is a crippling emotion.
– The Lord never intended for His followers
to dread the future.
– Although we may feel afraid at times, we
should never let fear control us.
10. • One of my favorite passages on
overcoming fear is found in the story of
– God said: “Be strong and courageous! Do
not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD
your God is with you wherever you go"
– The promise that God gave Joshua that
day is no less true for us now.
– There is no need for fear when we lean on
the powerful presence of the Lord.
11. Why did Joshua need courage?
• Joshua had seen how the people
rebelled against Moses.
– Now, he was in charge of leading them to
take the Promised Land from skilled
12. How did God challenge
Joshua to be courageous
God reassured him of His
– Joshua 1:5-6 “There shall not any
man be able to stand before thee all
the days of thy life: as I was with
Moses, so I will be with thee: I will
not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”
By God’s Promises
– God promised Joshua that he would
find success if he faithfully meditated
on and obeyed the Scripture.
14. • Joshua 1:8
“Indi mo gid pagkalimtan ang libro sang
Kasugoan. Tun-i ini sa adlaw kag sa gabi, kag
magkabuhi ka suno sa tanan nga nasulat sa
sini nga kasugoan. Dayon magainuswagon ka
15. What are the ways God wants
Joshua to acquire courage?
– is a quality of mind or spirit that enables us
to meet danger, opposition, or the
challenges of life with fearlessness,
calmness, and firmness.
– Someone who has courage may still feel
afraid but--through the power of God--can
act with confidence.
The Lord wanted divine wisdom, not
human logic, to guide the nation.
– For example, If Joshua’s confidence had
been in himself and his military experience,
he may have resisted God’s plan to defeat
– Ex: church looking for a lot
17. 2. If he obeyed the law of Moses, he
would have success.
– Joshua 1:7 “Pero magpakalig-on ka kag
magpakaisog, kag magkabuhi ka suno
sa bug-os nga Kasugo-an nga gin hatag
sa imo sang akon alagad na si Moises.
Indi mo pagpatumbayaan ang bisan ano
nga bahin sini, kag mangin madinalagon ka bisan diin ka magkadto.””
18. 3. The Lord made a marvelous
promise to Joshua
– He would be with him no matter what
– Joshua1:5 “wala sang may makadaog
sa imo samtang nagakabuhi pa ikaw.
Magaupod ako sa imo subong sang
akon pag-upod kay Moises, kag indi
ko gid ikaw pag pabay-an. ”
19. • If you have accepted the Father’s
gift of salvation, you have the same
4:16-17 “And I will pray the Father, and he
shall give you another Comforter, that he may
abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth;
whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth
him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him;
for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”
20. What can we do to develop
1. Meditate on God’s Word
– reading the Bible each day
– choose a chapter and really think about its
– Ask God for help interpreting
– applying it to your life.
21. • Result of meditating:
– Quiet your spirit.
– Sharpen your perception
• Psalms 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto
my feet, and a light unto my path”
– Purify your heart
• Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and
powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword,
piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and
spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a
discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
22. – Clarify your direction
• Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all
thine heart; and lean not unto thine own
understanding. In all thy ways
acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy
23. 2. Recall past experiences of God’s
– Remember the way you relied on the Lord
in previous crises and how His goodness
carried you through difficulties
3. Observe the courage of others
– As fellow believers share their testimonies
of the Lord’s faithfulness, let their stories
reinforce your faith in Him.
24. 4. Ask the critical question: If I
don’t obey God, what will
– Every action, whether good or bad,
has a consequence.
– Rebelling against the Lord may seem
like an easier path, but it will be
ultimately be painful.
– Trusting and obeying Him always
brings spiritual blessing.
Recall His promise to be with us at
– The Lord told Joshua that He would never
– Through Scripture, you and I have been
given the same assurance today.
– Our omnipotent God has all power to
guide us and bring success in our lives.
• Are you facing a frightening situation?
• The secret to overcoming fear is to
focus on God, not your circumstances.
– Peter walking on water.
• As you meditate on the Lord and
observe His work all around you,
problems will seem smaller and more
27. • Every challenge is surmountable in the
presence of our holy, all-powerful, and
• Take your eyes off circumstances and
turn them toward your great Defender
• The heavenly Father has all things
under control––there is no need to be