Water Solutions is the water and effluent treatment side of the business at B+W which is managed by Dr John MorganMany companies simply sell a treatment system to a client without proving its effectiveness in treating the problem that they have.At B+W we offer the client our services in checking the sample and possible treatment solutions at laboratory scale first to give us and them more confidence that what we offer will actually work.We also offer the client the opportunity to hire our mobile pilot plant for 1-2 weeks where it can be hooked up to their problematic water system and tested for a longer period of time using various treatment stages. Thus giving added confidence in the treatment effectiveness. Finally we can then be confident in designing, installing and commissioning a water treatment plant which we know will work on the clients water or effluent.Once installed we can then offer them a service and maintenance package to look after the plant on a regular basis each year.
We have represented Amazon filters for over 8 years although have had a relationship with them for over 25 years when they first started.We will go on to discuss Amazon in a separate presentation.
1. Packages Water Treatment Systems for Municipal Water UKBCSD Sustainable Water Event Nov 2012www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
3. B+W Overview •Glasgow based SME with over 50 years OHSAS - 18001 experience. •Established leaders in water treatment & ISO 9001-2000 fluid handling. •Employs over 100 staff including project Investors in People BS 8800 managers, CAD designers, installation & commissioning engineers. •Exclusive agents for Amazon filters & Hanovia UV. •Integrated Quality Management System.www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
4. B+W Services We offer: • Laboratory Testing • On-site Pilot Plants • Process Design • Full scale plant design/install/commission • After sales service Processes: • Water treatment packages • Effluent treatment packages • Borehole water treatment • Pumping systems • Filtration systems • Disinfection systemswww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
5. B+W & Amazon •Amazon Filter systems are tested as per DWI Regulation 31 and are on the drinking water inspectorates list of approved products. •Amazon is a leading filter housing & filter cartridge manufacturer in the UK working to ISO 9001:2008 and ISO14001 standardswww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
6. Amazon Cartridge Filter Housings • Tested as per DWI Reg 31 (DWI Ref:56/4/702) • Designed in-house to international pressure vessel design codes where applicable. • Customised system design and build capabilities within the UK. • Pressure Equipment Directive compliant (PED 97/23/EC) • 3rd Party verification and full document control procedures in place.www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
7. Target Opportunities • Small to medium size WTWs. • Surface water supply requiring removal of Cryptosporidium, Turbidity, Colour and SS. • Ground water supply requiring pH adjustment, Fe/Mn removal. • Remote sites. • Minimal space availability. • Retro-fit to existing WTWs.www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
8. B + W Design Concept • Modular skid-mounted filtration packages. • Booster set/break tank with inverter & flow/pressure control. • Multi-stage pre-filtration using auto-backwash pressure filters. • Media selected for each site. • Final cartridge filtration to 1µm (absolute). • Δp measurement at each stage. • Optional ultra-violet disinfection (secondary treatment).www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
9. Process Flow Diagram Of Empirical Designwww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
12. Filtration Module & UV with Enclosurewww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
13. Case Studies Design Flow Approx. Client/Site Feed Cartridge Change No. of Rate m3/day cost per m³ Water Rate (months) Cartridges Treated Bore Hole 9000 Thames Water 14 76 x 40” x 1µm £0.01 NTU=1-1.5 NHS Scotland Mains 5 off 10µ, 5µm 40 4 £0.12 (Balfour Hospital) NTU=1-4 & 0.5µm Bore Hole 360 x 40” x 1µm Southern Water 18000 9 £0.01 NTU=1-1.5 Bore Hole 186 x 30” x 1µm Anglian Water 5000 6 £0.02 NTU=1-1.5 Edinburgh Stream/loch 3 x 30” x1µm 40 6 £0.03 University NTU=4-40 Bore Hole 84 x 40” x 1µm Thames Water 5000 6 £0.01 NTU=1-1.5www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
14. Advantages of B+W Treatment Packages • Proven technology using established filter media. • Final physical filtration to <1µm absolute for oocyst removal. (Reg. 31 approved). • DWI approved components • Self-contained & compact • No chemical cleaning • Easy maintenance • Low running costs • Packaged system - easy to retrofit • Flexibility to incorporate pre & post-treatmentwww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
15. The Complete Solution The Barr + Wray system offers: Removal of • Cryptosporidium • Fe/Mn • Suspended solids • Heavy metal • Colour (TOC) • Pesticides and • pH Control • Turbidity reduction • Disinfectionwww.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012
16. Summary Using controlled feed flow and appropriate pre-treatment, the use of cartridge filtration offers a cost effective alternative to membrane treatment technologies.www.barrandwray.com © Barr + Wray 2012