Three forces that
are reshaping the
“The Great Acceleration
Political shifts towards
networked forms of governance
complex SES in an
era of rapid global
capacity to deal with change,
stress and shocks, and
continue to develop
What is governance?
From “command and control” to
collaboration, negotiation, “governance
Patterns of collaboration, instruments to
guide repeated interactions and steering
Different from management
- The act, manner, or practice of managing;
handling, supervision, or control: management of
a crisis; management of factory workers.
- The person or persons who control or direct a
business or other enterprise.
- Skill in managing; executive ability.
coping with crises
* deﬁne and describe key concepts related to adaptive
governance, such as adaptive co-management, social learning,
social networks, bridging organization, and polycentric
* deﬁne and describe the role of innovation and
transformations in adaptive governance.
* describe how these concepts are related to each other in
the context of governance of dynamic social-ecological
* apply concepts related to adaptive
governance at multiple levels, on a real-world
Lectures + read before!
Case study analysis
Write blogpost: brief summary of lecture, deﬁnition of
key concept/s, and short reﬂection within 48 hrs after
lecture, via e-mail to (teams of 2).
Writing of short comment to blogpost within 24 hrs
after it has been posted, directly on the blog