1. SEO: A CORE COMPONENTArnie KuennPresident, Vertical Measures@ArnieK #WACVBTechSummit“8 Steps to Discovering & Creating Content Your Market Will Love”www.verticalmeasures.com
2. ABOUT YOUR PRESENTER… • President of Vertical Measures – A Search, Social & Content Marketing Agency • Instructor for the Content Marketing Institute & Online Marketing Institute • Been an Internet marketer longer than Google has existed.
3. Tweet:Hey @Robert_Rose - @ArnieK says hello from #WACVBTechSummit
4. “CONTENT MARKETING”
5. CONTENT MARKETING - THE TOP PRIORITY
6. WHAT IS CONTENT MARKETING?• Content marketing is the art of providing relevant, valuable content to your customers without selling or interrupting them.• Instead of pitching your products or services, you are delivering information that makes your prospects more informed before they buy.• If you deliver consistent, ongoing valuable information to your prospects, they ultimately reward you with their business and loyalty.
7. THIS IS NOT A 30 DAY R.O.I.BUT THE PAYOFFS CAN BE HUGE
8. SOME FACTSof all consumers use searchprior to making a purchaseof searchers conduct non-branded queriesof buyers click on organiclinks vs the sponsored ads Source: GroupM
9. SOME FALLACIES IN TODAY’S SEO THINKING• Just measure rankings, that’s all that matters• SEO is about ranking for “money” terms• Adwords is the only keyword research tool you need• Your site is the only place to do SEO• Social sharing is fire and forget• Link building no longer works
10. SCALE OF ROI FROM SEO ACTIVITIES OVER TIME Courtesy of SEOMoz
11. SCALE OF ROI FROM SEO ACTIVITIES OVER TIME Courtesy of SEOMoz
12. MANY SIGNALS INFLUENCE SEO Star Ratings & Reviews Author Strength of Domain www.verticalmeasures.com Video SEOMoz
13. ACHIEVING SUCCESS IS CONTINUOUS, PLANNED OUT PROCESS
14. THINK LIKE A PUBLISHER!
15. DEVELOP YOUR STRATEGY• Strategy will evolve through the whole process• Why are you creating the content you are creating?• Who is your audience?• Who are you? – Determine your “voice”• What types of content will you create?• How will you develop your content?• When will you develop your content?• What does success look like?• What is different a year from now?
16. WHAT ARE WE SEARCHING FOR?
17. 72% of the time I’m looking for answers & information. Will I find your business? Do you know how many “answers” were provided just yesterday? Over 4.7 billion!
18. LONG TAIL IS THE KEY!
19. START WITH RESEARCH http://www.verticalmeasures.com/content/content-brainstorming-tools-for-2013/
20. KNOW YOUR KEYWORDS
21. MORE KEYWORD RESEARCH TOOLS Google Keyword Suggest Relate Searches
22. MORE KEYWORD RESEARCH TOOLS YouTube Related Searches
23. More than 410questions about “visitthe grand canyon”(exact match).More than 3,400using broad match!
24. Long tail searchesare the key tosuccess!
25. LIST ALL CONTENT IDEAS IN A SPREADSHEET
26. PUT TOGETHER AN EDITORIAL CALENDAR
27. BENEFITS OF A BLOG• Gives you a vehicle to post new content• Allows for internal linking• Keeps the search engines coming back – have 434% more indexed pages*• Have 2X as many backlinks*• Your site gets 55% more traffic*• You have 79% more Twitter followers* Source: *Hubspot
28. VIDEOS! – THEY ARE NOT THAT HARD Interviews Fun Behind the scenes User Generated
29. INFOGRAPHICS ARE HOT RIGHT NOW
30. FREE GUIDES TO BUILD YOUR LIST - Lead generator - Link attractor - Long life span 474 backlinks from 123 unique domains
32. HOW SEARCH WORKS
33. SEARCH OPTIMIZATION ELEMENTS
34. SEARCH RESULTS – WEB PAGE CONNECTION Webpage Title Tag Webpage File Name Meta Description
35. UNIVERSAL SEARCH RESULTS 70+% of all search results
36. ALL DIFFERENT – BUT CORE ELEMENTS Web pages, News, Local, Images & Videos 1. Links pointing to your content 2. Titles & title tags (viewed in results) 3. Description meta tag (viewed in results) 4. Image alt text tags 5. H1 Tag (headline tag – only one!) 6. Page load times 7. Freshness of content 8. AuthorRank
37. HOW TO OPTIMIZE IMAGES• Image files should be compressed as much as reasonably possible to reduce file size. Smaller files mean faster site load speeds. JPGs generally offer the best balance of file size & quality.• Use relevant keywords in image filenames, separated by dashes (not underscores). Instead of "DL000031.jpg", use something like "red-sports- car.jpg"• Make sure <img> tags have their "alt" and "title" attributes defined with descriptive, concise, keyword- related text. Do not stuff <img> attributes.• Context matters. Google looks at content placed around the image, like titles and captions, for context about your image.• Be sure to include images in your sitemap. The XML tags provide additional opportunities to define an images title, caption, and even geographic location.
38. HOW TO OPTIMIZE VIDEOS• Specific, Compelling Title –Would you click on “Our Company” or “V00023.mov?” neither will your audience.• Tags –This is where you can help your video appear in the “Suggested” or “Similar” videos section. Don’t be dishonest, but if there are pop culture or social media references in the video, tag them accordingly.• Description - Say as much as you can in the first sentence or two, because many video sites will hide the bulk of your description. Include at least one link placed at the start of the description – with http://.• Video Quality / Resolution – Shoot, edit and export the video in the highest quality available on the devices and software you use. The online video audience is very forgiving of skill level, but a low resolution video can make it difficult to see what is going on.• Thumbnail Image – If it’s an organically made video (not planned), pick the most visually compelling of the options they give you.
39. HOW TO APPEAR IN GOOGLE NEWS• Need to submit your URL to Google first• Article URLs must be: –Unique –Permanent –Display a three-digit number• To see if a site is already included in Google News, type [ site:url.com ], into the search box and click "Search News."• http://support.google.com/news/publisher/
40. DO YOU HAVE A GOOGLE+ BUSINESS PAGE?
41. +1 BUTTON: OPPORTUNITY FOR BUSINESSES
42. THE TOP 5 LOCAL RANKING FACTORS 2012 1. A physical address in the city 2. Associate your business with proper categories. 3. Have an address close to the centroid 4. Complete and accurate NAP (Name, Address, Phone) accuracy across the local ecosystem 5. High number of customer reviews on the new Google +Local
43. CLAIM YOUR LOCAL PROFILES
44. PROMOTE YOUR CONTENT
45. SHARING NEW CONTENT CAN BE VERY SIMPLE
46. HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU POST? • The most common complaint from Facebook users is Newsfeed spam • Posting just a few times per week produces 71% higher user engagement • Focus on quality, not quantity on Facebook. • Only 50% of your posts should be about your content. Organizations that share other content have a higher engagement rate.
47. PRESS RELEASES!
48. DISTRIBUTE OR REPURPOSE YOUR CONTENT Source: CMI & MarketingProfs
49. VIDEO DISTRIBUTION
50. PRESENTATION DISTRIBUTION (PPT)
52. DON’T GET HUNG UP ON SOCIAL
53. BUILD LINKS TO YOUR CONTENT • Identify low hanging fruit – Internal links – Fix 404, 500 and 302 errors – Guest blog posts or articles – Blog & forum participation – Where you have relationships – Local partners & listings – Competitive research for similar content • The best links: – Are from trusted sites – Have varied anchor text – Are from many different, relevant websites – Determined editorially
54. INTERNAL LINKS • Internal links are what make up your website’s navigation. − Important for usability and visibility − Internal links tell search engines what your site is about. − Proper internal linking structure allows search engines to spider and index more pages within your site. • Make sure keywords in URL structure match content on page. • Keep footers clean and include a link to sitemap • Use, but don’t abuse, internal text links within content
55. MEASURE!• Measure for successes… and failures• Check your rankings, traffic, conversions and other key metrics• Focus on the strategies that are providing the best ROI and keep rolling out the content
56. HOW ABOUT A RECAP?
57. CUSTOM TRAINING PROGRAM? • 1 year content marketing training & coaching program • Beta – looking for 3 organizations to work with us at highly discounted pricing
58. BOOK RAFFLE TIME!
59. FREE! Tweet:Content Marketing Book – @AccelerateBook is FREE on Amazon– Today only! #WACVBTechSummit Kindle Version April 17, 2013 Only
60. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!More Traffic. More Leads. More Business. Contact: 888-476-1881 www.VerticalMeasures.com