2. About Your Presenter…<br /><ul><li>President of Vertical Measures in Phoenix, AZ
3. Founder of the Arizona Interactive Marketing Association (AZIMA)
4. Instructor for the Content Marketing Institute & Online Marketing Institute
5. Author of Accelerate! Move Your Business Forward Through the Convergence of Search, Social and Content Marketing</li></ul>Available on Amazon<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
6. Google Panda Update<br />Biggest Google Algorithm update in years<br />100% Algorithmic, No Manual Changes<br />Clobbered Content Farms & Article Sites<br />Even YOUR website could be affected if you have pages with weak content<br />More Coming with Respect to Cleaning Up Spam on the Web (IMO)<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
7. “Sites with original content such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on, will move up.”<br />Matt Cutts & Amit Singhal (WSJ – 2/28/11)<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
8. The New Marketing is Content Marketing<br />If you have a website,<br />you’re now a publisher<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
10. Companies Are Getting It!<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
11. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
12. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
13. Develop Your Strategy<br />Why are you creating the content you are creating? <br />Who is your audience and who are you?<br />What will you measure? <br />What is different a year from now?<br />Where do you plan to publish your content?<br />When & how will you develop your content? <br />
14. Why Are You Creating Your Content?<br /><ul><li>Strategy will evolve through the whole process
15. Have you taken an inventory of your current content?
16. What will your new content accomplish?
17. Customer Retention?
18. Lead Generation?
19. Thought Leadership?
20. Lower Customer Service Costs?
21. Open New Markets?</li></ul>Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
22. When & How Will You Develop Your Content?<br />1-7-30-4-2-1 Plan<br />1=Daily (Twitter, Blog)<br />7=Weekly (eNewsletter)<br />30=Monthly (Webinar)<br />4=Quarterly (eBook, Magazine)<br />2=Bi-Annually (User Event)<br />1=Yearly (Large Research Project)<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
23. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
24. Start With Keyword Research<br />Keyword research should be the foundation<br />Brainstorm for keyword phrases your customers use when searching<br />Use tools like:<br />Google keyword suggest & instant search<br />Google Adwords keyword tool<br />Bing’s Commercial Intent<br />Think long-tail!<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
25. Then Do Online Market Research<br />Check trending topics on Twitter, Yahoo and MSN<br />Answer sites: Yahoo Answers, Quora, LinkedIn or Facebook<br />Check sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit and Mixx. <br />Check Google’s Discussions in search<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
26. What Works For Your Competitors?<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
27. Determine Types of Content to Create<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
28. List The Possibilities<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
29. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
30. Create Great Content<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
31. Lists – People Still Love Them<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
32. Interviews – Makes You the Expert<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
33. Contests – People Love to Win!<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
34. Image Posts – Fast & Easy<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
35. Infographics – Hot Right Now<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
42. Webinars – A Lead Generator Too<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
43. Videos – Not as Hard as You Think<br />Webinars<br />Interviews<br />Fun<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
44. Let’s Not Forget Product Pages<br />Optimized Title<br />Detailed Description<br />Statistics<br />Images & Video<br />Product Comparisons <br />User Generated Content <br />Zappos, Amazon are great examples<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
45. Benefits of a Corporate Blog<br /><ul><li>Gives you a vehicle to post new content
46. Allows for internal linking
47. Keeps the search engines coming back – have 434%more indexed pages*
48. Have 2X as many backlinks*
49. Your site gets 55% more traffic*
50. You have 79% more Twitter followers*</li></ul> *Hubspot<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
51. How Often Should We Post?<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
52. Long Tail is the Key!<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
53. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
54. Optimize Your Content<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
55. All Different – But Core Items<br />Content is found through social media and search engines – so optimize it!<br />Web pages, News, Local, Images & Videos<br />Links pointing to your content<br />Titles & title tags (viewed in results)<br />Description meta tag (viewed in results)<br />Image alt text tags <br />H1 Tag (headline tag – only one!)<br />URL structure (short & include KW’s)<br />Page load times<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
56. Search Optimization Elements<br />Title tag<br />URL<br />H1 tag<br />Content<br />Meta Description<br />Award winning SEO Link Building Services. Vertical Measures is a reputable, USA Internet marketing company helping businesses get more website traffic thru higher search engine rankings, link building, social media, local search, and search engine optimization. <br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
57. Local Search Optimization<br /><ul><li>Submit to: Google Local, Yahoo, Microsoft, Yelp
58. NAP: Name, Address and Phone Number on each page of website- indexable, not an image
59. Meta Data: All pages with local content should have properly optimized meta data with those geo-specific keyword phrases
60. Microformats: wrap location-specific information such as address and phone number to increase chances of search engines picking this up and displaying as rich snippets in SERPS</li></ul>Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
61. Optimization – Localized Content<br />Create an area on your website for each location, each optimized for geo-specific keyword phrases<br />Include geo-tagged photos, videos and other multimedia elements specific to each location<br />Include directions and maps for each location, making it easy for people to find you – great for SEO<br />Consider having a blog for each location, creates a targeted and personal approach appealing to visitors in each area<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
62. How to Optimize Images<br />Image files should be compressed as much as reasonably possible to reduce file size. Smaller files mean faster site load speeds. <br />Use relevant keywords in image filenames, separated by dashes (not underscores). Instead of "DL000031.jpg", use something like "red-sports-car.jpg"<br />Make sure <img> tags have their "alt" and "title" attributes defined with descriptive, concise, keyword-related text. Do not stuff <img> attributes.<br />Context matters. Google looks at content placed around the image, like titles and captions, for context about your image.<br />Be sure to include images in your sitemap. The XML tags provide additional opportunities to define an image's title, caption, and even geographic location. <br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
63. How to Optimize Videos<br />Specific, Compelling Title –Would you click on “Our Company” or “V00023.mov?” neither will your audience.<br />Tags –This is where you can help your video appear in the “Suggested” or “Similar” videos section. Don’t be dishonest, but if there are pop culture or social media references in the video, tag them accordingly. <br />Description - Say as much as you can in the first sentence or two, because many video sites will hide the bulk of your description. Include at least one link placed at the start of the description.<br />Video Quality / Resolution – Shoot, edit and export the video in the highest quality available on the devices and software you use. The online video audience is very forgiving of skill level, but a low resolution video can make it difficult to see what is going on.<br />Thumbnail Image – If it’s an organically made video (not planned), pick the most visually compelling of the options they give you. <br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
64. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
65. #5 Promote Your Content<br /><ul><li>Understand who your customer is and where they are online.
66. Conduct PR and blogger pitches
67. Develop relationships & build partnerships
68. People share your ideas, link to your content.
69. Those references and citations will help with rankings</li></ul>Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
70. Facebook – The Motor Lodge (Prescott, AZ)<br />Beat the crowds with a sneak peek of the Courthouse Christmas lights tonight from 5:30-6:30pm (the official Lighting Ceremony is Saturday).<br />Time to get shopping so, for our Facebook buddies we will add 15% to any gift certificate that you purchase for holiday giving. Think of it, you provide a fun place to stay for your favorite people while appearing to be 15% more generous than you really are...It's a win, win!<br />We thought you should know that waterboarding at The Motor Lodge has stopped! In case you never had the chance to experience the torture that was our showers, imagine standing in a phone booth while a 55 gallon drum of water was dumped on you from 8' up (a classic case of form over function...sorry). New and improved, ...adjustable and reachable showerheads make cleansing your beautiful body an absolute pleasure. Enjoy!<br />Time to name the cat that adopted us 3 months ago! Whoever comes up with the winning name wins a free night in our swankiest room, #6. The cat is a neutered male, very friendly, green eyes and has a hole in his left ear. Voting ends Sunday at 5pm. (The post included a video of the cat.)<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
71. Twitter – AJ Bombers<br />Milwaukee restaurant formed a community by publishing specials & answering customer questions<br />Have more than 16,000 followers <br />Estimate 75 percent of customers are Twitter followers<br />Treat everyone on Twitter as if they are regulars<br />Allow customers to write their Twitter names on the walls of the restaurant<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
72. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
73. #6 Distribute or Repurpose Content<br />RSS feeds<br />Email Campaigns<br />Article Syndication<br />Web 2.0 Sites<br />Social Media Sites<br />Video, Photo, Presentation & Podcasts sites<br />These links will help your rankings!<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
74. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
75. #7 Build Links to Your Content<br /><ul><li>Identify low hanging fruit
76. Internal links
77. Blog & forum participation
78. Targeted Links via…
79. Competitive research for similar content
80. Use search operators to find opportunities
81. Ask your clients & suppliers for links!
82. Offer t-shirts, gift cards, discounts, etc.
83. Or even a good old fashion reciprocal link
84. When all else is equal, links win!</li></ul>Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
85. Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
86. #8 Measure!<br />Measure for successes… and failures<br />Check your rankings, traffic, conversions and other key metrics<br />Focus on the strategies that are providing the best ROI and keep rolling out the content<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
87. “People need content that makes them more informed before a purchase. Organizations that provide that info will win.”<br />Arnie Kuenn, Totally Cool Guy<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
88. Success Like This…<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
89. Results Like This…<br />19 out of top 25 landing pages<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />
90. All 8 Steps Matter<br />Only $14.36 on Amazon! <br />When all the links in the chain work together, just as in a bicycle chain, the net effect is acceleration.<br />Twitter: @ArnieK<br />