ABOUT YOUR PRESENTER…
• President of Vertical Measures –
A Search, Social & Content Marketing Agency
• Instructor for the Content Marketing Institute &
Online Marketing Institute
• Been an Internet marketer longer than Google
• How many of you are
webmasters or SEOs?
• How many are primarily
• More than 1 location?
WHAT IS CONTENT MARKETING?
• Content marketing is the art of providing relevant,
useful content to your guests without selling or
• Instead of pitching your products or services, you are
delivering information that makes your customers
more informed before they buy.
• If you deliver consistent, ongoing valuable
information to your customers, they ultimately reward
you with their business and loyalty.
THIS IS NOT A 30 DAY R.O.I.
BUT THE LONG-TERM PAYOFFS
CAN BE HUGE
PAY PER CLICK ADVERTISING
Only 5 to 10%
of people click
here – but can
still pay off.
HOW IMPORTANT IS SEO AND SEARCH?
More than 90%
of people click
HOW IMPORTANT IS SEARCH?
of all consumers use search
prior to making a purchase
of searchers conduct nonbranded queries
of buyers click on organic
links vs the sponsored ads
ACHIEVING SUCCESS IS A CONTINUOUS,
PLANNED OUT PROCESS
WHY ARE YOU CREATING YOUR CONTENT?
• Have you taken an inventory of your current
• What will your new content accomplish?
Open New Markets?
More Links (SEO)?
WHO IS YOUR AUDIENCE?
Your audience can be a number of different
groups – depending on your hotel and location
– Current/potential guests? People spending booking
your hotel now or in the future?
– Location? Do most of your guests come from a
– Seasonal? Does your hotel have any seasonality
WHO WILL CREATE YOUR CONTENT?
• What expertise will you need?
• Leverage your staff
• Business partners or suppliers may contribute
WHERE WILL THE CONTENT BE PUBLISHED?
Sites for Videos, Images, Slides, PR, etc?
Your web pages?
Will you have content to download?
DEVELOP YOUR STRATEGY - SUMMARY
• Strategy will evolve through the whole
• Why are you creating the content you are
• Who is your audience?
• What types of content will you create?
• Who will create your content?
• When will you develop your content?
• What does success look like?
• Who is your audience?
• What will you measure?
• What does success look like?
What 3 questions do you get asked by customers or
potential customers all the time?
BENEFITS OF A BLOG
• Gives you a vehicle to post
• Allows for internal linking
• Keeps the search engines
coming back – have 434%
more indexed pages*
• Have 2X as many backlinks*
• Your site gets 55% more
• You have 79% more Twitter
UNIVERSAL SEARCH RESULTS
70+% of all search results
ALL DIFFERENT – BUT CORE ELEMENTS
Web pages, News, Local, Images & Videos
Links pointing to your content
Titles & title tags (viewed in results)
Description meta tag (viewed in results)
Image alt text tags
H1 Tag (headline tag – only one!)
Page load times
Freshness of content
HOW TO OPTIMIZE IMAGES
• Image files should be compressed as much as
reasonably possible to reduce file size. Smaller files
mean faster site load speeds. JPGs generally offer
the best balance of file size & quality.
• Use relevant keywords in image filenames,
separated by dashes (not underscores). Instead of
"DL000031.jpg", use something like "red-sportscar.jpg"
• Make sure <img> tags have their "alt" and "title"
attributes defined with descriptive, concise, keywordrelated text. Do not stuff <img> attributes.
• Context matters. Google looks at content placed
around the image, like titles and captions, for context
about your image.
• Be sure to include images in your sitemap. The
XML tags provide additional opportunities to define
an image's title, caption, and even geographic
HOW TO OPTIMIZE VIDEOS
• Specific, Compelling Title –Would you click on “Our
Company” or “V00023.mov?” neither will your audience.
• Tags –This is where you can help your video appear in
the “Suggested” or “Similar” videos section. Don’t be
dishonest, but if there are pop culture or social media
references in the video, tag them accordingly.
• Description - Say as much as you can in the first
sentence or two, because many video sites will hide the
bulk of your description. Include at least one link placed
at the start of the description – with http://.
• Video Quality / Resolution – Shoot, edit and export the
video in the highest quality available on the devices and
software you use. The online video audience is very
forgiving of skill level, but a low resolution video can
make it difficult to see what is going on.
• Thumbnail Image – If it’s an organically made video
(not planned), pick the most visually compelling of the
options they give you.
HOW TO APPEAR IN GOOGLE NEWS
• Need to submit your URL to Google first
• Article URLs must be:
–Display a three-digit number
• To see if a site is already included in
Google News, type [ site:url.com ], into the
search box and click "Search News."
THE TOP 5 LOCAL RANKING FACTORS 2013
A physical address in the city
Associate your business with proper categories.
Have an address close to the centroid
Complete and accurate NAP (Name, Address,
Phone) accuracy across the local ecosystem
5. High number of customer reviews on the new
TODAY’S PUBLIC RELATIONS
• Build Your Network
• Relationship-building approach vs. blanket pitch
• Engagement – two way conversation
• Conduct PR & Blogger Pitches
ACTIVELY ENGAGE WITH YOUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
• Keep a list of the names and faces you most
often see stepping up in the community.
• Look for folks that actively share content.
• Create specialized content and market
towards social influencers
• Strengthen their relationship with your brand
• The more connected they feel, the more likely
they are to share with their network.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU POST?
• The most common complaint from Facebook users is Newsfeed spam
• Posting just a few times per week produces 71% higher user
• Focus on quality, not quantity on Facebook.
• Only 50% of your posts should be about your content. Organizations
that share other content have a higher engagement rate.
FACEBOOK – THE MOTOR LODGE
Beat the crowds with a sneak peek of the Courthouse Christmas lights
tonight from 5:30-6:30pm (the official Lighting Ceremony is Saturday).
Time to get shopping so, for our Facebook buddies we will add 15% to
any gift certificate that you purchase for holiday giving. Think of it, you
provide a fun place to stay for your favorite people while appearing to
be 15% more generous than you really are...It's a win, win!
We thought you should know that waterboarding at The Motor
Lodge has stopped! In case you never had the chance to experience
the torture that was our showers, imagine standing in a phone booth
while a 55 gallon drum of water was dumped on you from 8' up (a
classic case of form over function...sorry). New and improved,
...adjustable and reachable showerheads make cleansing your
beautiful body an absolute pleasure. Enjoy!
Time to name the cat that adopted us 3 months ago! Whoever comes
up with the winning name wins a free night in our swankiest room, #6.
The cat is a neutered male, very friendly, green eyes and has a hole in
his left ear. Voting ends Sunday at 5pm. (The post included a video of
By far the #1 reason users
decide to “like” or “follow” a
Coupons, Discounts and
*ROI Research & Performics
• Essential Elements
Visually appealing and branded
Incorporate into editorial calendar: plan frequency
Segmenting: targeted messaging
Great subject line
Stay brief: Read More, Get More Details
• Distribution Services:
47% OF EMAILS ARE
OPENED ON A MOBILE
SOURCE: LITMUS - September 2013
80% DELETE EMAILS THAT
DO NOT “LOOK GOOD”
BUILD LINKS TO YOUR CONTENT
Identify low hanging fruit
– Internal links
– Fix 404 and 302 errors
– Guest blog posts or articles
– Blog & forum participation
– Where you have relationships
– Local partners & listings
The best links:
– Are from trusted sites
– Have varied anchor text
– Are from many different, relevant websites
– Determined editorially
• Internal links are what make up your website’s
− Important for usability and visibility
− Internal links tell search engines what your site is about.
− Proper internal linking structure allows search engines to
spider and index more pages within your site.
• Make sure keywords in URL structure match
content on page.
• Keep footers clean and include a link to sitemap
• Use, but don’t abuse, internal text links within
• Measure for successes…
• Check your rankings,
traffic, conversions and
other key metrics
• Focus on the strategies
that are providing the best
ROI and keep rolling out
TOOLS TO USE
• Google Analytics (Traffic, Time Spent, Conversions)
• Social Mention or Trackur (Share of Voice or
Positive Vs. Negative Mentions)
• Open Site Explorer ( # links)
Buyers need information that helps
them make an informed decision.
Businesses that provide the
content those people are
searching for - will win.