1. How to Create a PowerPoint PresentationGlobal Education ESL B1/B2 February 26, 2012 Jamie Wright
2. Tips to be Covered Introduction to Making a PowerPoint Outlines Slide Structure Fonts Colour Getting Started Using PowerPoint Spelling and Grammar Conclusions Questions
3. Making a PowerPoint can befast, simple and fun!PowerPoint presentations are great tools for showingothers our ideas in an easy-to-read formatPowerPoint presentations can be very complex, orthey can be very simpleIt is important to make sure that you are being clear
4. Important things to always considerwhen making a PowerPoint presentationAsk yourself these questions when making aPowerPoint:Is my PowerPoint-Simple?Organized?Clear?Does my PowerPoint tell my audience what I want them toknow?
5. OutlineMake your 1st or 2nd slide an outline of yourpresentationEx: previous slideFollow the order of your outline for the rest of thepresentationOnly place main points on the outline slideEx: Use the titles of each slide as main points
6. Slide Structure – GoodUse 1-2 slides per minute of your presentationWrite in point form, not complete sentencesInclude 4-5 points per slideAvoid wordiness: use key words and phrases only
7. Slide Structure – GoodShow one point at a time:Will help audience concentrate on what you are sayingWill prevent audience from reading aheadWill help you keep your presentation focused
8. Colour - GoodUse a colour of font that contrasts sharply with thebackgroundEx: blue font on white backgroundUse colour to reinforce the logic of your structureEx: light blue title and dark blue textUse colour to emphasize a pointBut only use this occasionally
9. Getting Started
10. Starting PowerPointDouble Click the PowerPoint Icon on the desktopOn other Windows XP PCsStart →All Programs →Microsoft Office →Microsoft PowerPoint
11. Open Powerpoint in the Start Menu
12. Using PowerPoint
13. The First Slidestarts, you will see a window like this one…
14. The First Slideor this one.
15. Typing in Textectangle that says Click to add title, click once, then start typingngle that says Click to add subtitle, click once, then start typing
16. Adding a New Slidend of the toolbar at the top of your PowerPoint Window and click New Slide, once …er version of PowerPoint, you may find the New Slide icon under the tab “Home”. C
17. Adding a photort” tab.“Picture” icon.your computer, and add to presentation.
18. Changing the Layoutyour slides are organized, click on the “Home”nd click on the Layout that you would like for your slidee layout of individual slides, or of all slides at once
19. Inserting Objects You can insert many items to help your presentation, such as: Tables Shapes Much More! Pictures Text Clipart WordArt You can find these items by clicking on the “Insert” tab
20. Inserting Objects You can also find some of these objects under the “Home” tab
21. Changing the ThemeYou can change the theme of your slides by clicking the “Design” TabChoose the theme you wish to use by clicking on it Make sure you use a theme that is easy to read, and has a light background with dark text
22. View Your Slideshowou can watch your slideshow to see what it looks like full screenick the “Slide Show” icon, and choose one of the options for viewing the Slide Shohile watching the Slide Show you can use these controls:ove Forward – left click or press the right arrow keyove Backward – press the left arrow keynd Slide Show – press “Esc” key on the keyboard
23. Things to Remember WhenMaking Your Slides
24. Spelling and GrammarProof your slides for:speling mistakesthe use of of repeated wordsgrammatical errors you might have makeIf English is not your first language, please havesomeone else check your presentation!
25. ConclusionUse an effective and strong closingYour audience is likely to remember your last wordsUse a conclusion slide to:Summarize the main points of your presentationSuggest future avenues of research
26. Questions??End your presentation with a simple question slide to:Invite your audience to ask questionsProvide a visual aid during question periodAvoid ending a presentation abruptly
27. Creditson (i.e. Internet sources, textbooks, newspapers) be sure to giv
28. Credits“Making PowerPoint Slides”www.iasted.org/conferences/formatting/presentations-tips.ppt“How To Make A PowerPoint Presentation”www.classweb.gmu.edu/llmiller/AOCS/HowtoPPT.ppt