C. This quotation from Supreme Court
Justice Sonia Sotomayor:
At a 2001 lecture at the University of California,
Judge Sotomayor was asked about the idea
that “a wise old man and a wise old woman
will reach the same conclusion in deciding
cases.” She responded, “I would hope that a
wise Latina woman with the richness of her
experiences would more often than not reach
a better conclusion than a white male who
hasn’t lived that life.”
E: This college admission decision:
• The University of Texas accepts all students who graduate in the top
10% of their class from a Texas high school. Most of UT’s freshman
class (over 80%) are admitted under this plan. The remainder are
chosen in a process which evaluates their talents, leadership
qualities, family circumstances, and race.
• In 2008, Abby Fisher applied to the University of Texas and was
denied admission. She was in the top 12% of her high school class.
• Fisher, who is white, filed suit, alleging that the University has
discriminated against her because of her race.
• The University of Texas argued that it has a legitimate interest in
using affirmative action to increase the diversity of its student body.
G: What happens in this video:
H: This event:
• A young white woman is shopping at
Wegman’s with her toddler. To keep the child
occupied, she lets him eat a banana and a
bagel while they shop.
• They are not followed by store security.