THE BANGALORE QUIZ EDITION VIII
Researched and presented by
SOME GROUND RULES
40 questions, all-written, for Teams of 2
Multiples of 5 are *-marked questions to resolve ties
No negatives, please take guesses
No half points, all parts carry a point each
Prizes for the Top 3 teams
FIRST CONDUCTED AT THE KQA
SESSION ON JAN 5, 2014
ANSWERS FOLLOW AFTER THIS SLIDE
1. This is a Chennai-based magazine, Inbox 1305. If the
same magazine were to be launched in Bangalore, an
appropriate title would be Inbox 1258. Explain
3. This 73-year-old building in Bangalore was originally
constructed to fulfil a specific purpose for an immigrant
community. It is a circular, raised structure, that had to
give away 600 sq. metre of space to the National
Highway Authority of India in 2011. The building caters to
a population of 700 people in Bangalore, being used
a few times a year.
Identify this building and its location
The Parsee Tower Of Silence / Dokhma on
4. A quote by Dr S K Aruni, Deputy Director of ICHR,
“There is something called ________ Circle in Jalahalli. I
used to travel in a certain bus daily and one day some
passenger asked the name of a particular stop.
The driver humorously said ‘________’, indicating how
remote the place is. And today, it is known by the same
Fill in the blank with another place name from
*5. Oriental Cuisines Private Limited, founded by foodie,
professor, restaurateur & entrepreneur M Mahadevan in
May 1994 runs three restaurants serving different cuisine
styles in the same building in Sivanchetty Gardens in
- One of them means iron plate and refers to a style of
cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food.
- The second is a word derived from “five colours” and
refers to a kind of porcelain.
- The third name gives you a sense of ownership for a
state in India.
Name all three restaurants.
6. Fifty six years ago, two brothers VP Francis and his
younger brother VP Thomas, worked in George Oaks,
which was a Ford Motors showroom. In the evening, they
worked in various food outlets which gave them the idea
to start their own place. So in 1957, on August 15, they
started out in a tiny shop on Leonard Lane. It was at that
time that a statue of Our Lady of _____, said to be
miraculous, came to Bangalore from Portugal. The
brothers were then inspired to name their new business
after the same.
Name this establishment.
7. This statue was erected by His Highness the Maharaja
of Mysore and the public, including the citizens of the
Civil and Military Station. It is a white marble replica of a
statue at Worchester, and is enclosed by a circle of
ornamental railings. The sculptor was Sir. Thomas Brock,
and it was unveiled on 5th February 1906 by HRH the
Prince of Wales.
Further North in the same premises, is the other statue,
almost opposite the rear gate of the Central Telegraph
Office. It was built by public subscription, and unveiled on
28th September 1919, by His Excellency Baron
Name both the people in the statues and where
will you find them?
8. Built on the plan of the Lariboisière Hospital in Paris
and formally opened in 1868 by Mr. Lewin Benthon ___,
the then Commissioner of Mysore, this hospital was the
only civil medical institution of Bangalore till 1890, and
had over a hundred beds in the late 1920s.
Additional accommodation for female patients was
provided by the donations contributed by philanthropic
citizens and by the Government of India. This additional
wing was given a different name, till later, when both the
premises were administratively unified.
Give the full name of the hospital
9. Lawyer KBK Rao based in Kurnool was an avid book
collector. In the 1940s, auctioneers in Bangalore would
send word to him, whenever books were being disposed
of by American or British families leaving the city. This
collection spawned a book store that started in the
garage of an Englishman called Robertson, on St Mark’s
Road. It has known several incarnations since – one in
Malleswaram, and then along MG Road, behind the old
Lakeview Milk Bar, before coming to rest in this quiet
alleyway. Name the store.
*10. A non-commercial Centre dedicated to the arts,
it is an organization that actively promotes art and
cultural activities, for children and adults. Located off
Palace Road, the institution was started by the noted
Hindustani Classical singer seen in the picture, with her
husband. They also organize the Yuva Utsav every year,
which showcases Hindustani Classical musicians under
the age of 25. Name the organization OR the
11. Temporarily renamed Yousufabad (in the 18th
cent.) by the most famous person born here, this area
was part of Gangawadi and later came under the rule of
Rashatrakutas, Nolamba, Pallavas, Cholas, Hoysalas and
the Vijayanagara rulers.
During the time of Vijayanagara rule, Malla Baire
constructed the initial mud fort in 1501 AD. The present
fort ascribed to the same person mentioned above, finally
fell to the British in 1791.
Where can you find it?
12. After representing Mysore/Karnataka for 79 matches,
he retired from first-class cricket in 1985, and set up the
JP School of Cricket, a coaching institution that has
grown over the years. Best remembered for a decisive
role in another Bangalorean’s achievement, name him.
13. This high priest, mentor and advisor to Harihara and
Bukka, identified the location and time for them to set up
the Vijayanagara kingdom. An Advaita proponent, he
authored one of the most important texts,
Sarvadarśanasaṅgraha. North Bangaloreans will be familiar
with his name. Who?
Vidyaranya, after whom Vidyaranyapura is named
14. Complete this list with two names from the world
of business and tell us what this list is about:
BPAC – Bangalore Political Action Committee
TV Mohandas Pai and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
*15. Arguably the oldest temple in Bengaluru, many
historians believe it is a Chola temple. It is widely
believed that Kempe Gowda I and II made substantial
additions and changes. It is located in the same area in
Bengaluru, where the reigning deity is Goddess
Kempamma, who was also the family deity of the
Kempegowda clan. Named after Lord Shiva, identify this
temple and its location.
16. Fill in the blanks in this list of Seven Wonders of
Bangalore according to a newspaper poll some years ago.
The missing place is located in Harohalli on Kanakpura
Road, 35 kms. from Bangalore. The features of the place
include, the World’s Largest Meditational _____,
hills, valleys and water bodies, and art galleries with
1. Vidhana Soudha
2. Bull Temple
3. Jamia Masjid,
4. Lalbagh Botanical Garden
5. Bangalore Palace
6. St. Mary’s Basilica
18. DBHA, established in 2001 on St John’s Road,
usually selects players in the 15 to 21 age group
and provides specialised training in sporting skills,
physical fitness and mental skills. Recognised by
the national and state sports federation, the SAI
and the KOA, which two Olympians founded
19. This road, SH87, begins from the Adugodi
cemetery and goes through Jigni, and finally
reaches Anekal town. It was originally named
Anekal road, but later renamed after the most
popular tourist attraction on the way.
What is the name of the road today?
*20. Born in Kolar on May 9, 1908, he started out
as an editor of magazines in Kannada like Vishva
Vani and Katha Manjari. He was a novelist, play
writer, critic, thinker, connoisseur, journalist and a
devoted Kannada activist.
In 1962, he memorably protested against MS
Subbulakshmi singing in the annual Ramotsava
festival, saying, ““Iddu Ramotsavana Alla, Iddu
Tamilotsava”. He was so popular that Maasti
Venkatesha Iyengar once introduced him saying “I
am a Tamil Kannadiga, Mirza Ismail, a Muslim
Kannadiga and X is a pure Kannadiga’’. Who?
After independence the Maharajah of Mysore chose not
to stay at this place, although he was entitled to it by
virtue of being the first to hold a post. He preferred his
own palaces. The building then became a guest house, and
an occasional adda for the Congress party to hold its
meetings. After many years of disuse/misuse, General
Srinagesh moved in (1964), and revived it.
After independence, the Maharaja of Mysore was
made the first Raj Pramukh (Governor) of Mysore
Three parts to identify in the picture that
(2) The building shown in pic (what it was, not
what it is today) and
(3) The name of the artist’s collection, called ‘A
Gallery Of Curious Illustrations’ in Clarke Road.
Born in Doddaballapur, Rumale Channabasavaiah
was a freedom fighter, satyagrahi, a nation builder
and ascetic, all rolled into one. He loved another
field however, and by 1960, when he probably had
enough of politicians he started ____ and got into
his other passion full time.
What did he found?
The design of the logo of this direction-based
transport service launched in 2008, is brilliant. It
looks rather plain at first view, and one can read
the name of the service in English. A closer look
however will show you that, on the diagonal, it
reads the same in Kannada script as well.
What creative design are we referring to?
The spaces that they have built have so much in common,
and yet they are different. One stands in “English Bangalore”
where the owner’s farmhouse once was. An evening of
entertainment here can be rounded off with a meal at the
adjoining Fat Chef.
The other one built by her namesake offers mainly Kannada
fare, and it also aims to be a bridge between various regional
languages. Rounding off an experience here is the nice food
at the homely Anju’s Café.
What are the two pairs – full names and the places
they built? No part points for a wrong name-place
Nadir Maneckjee founded this company to make
specialised headgear for the British and Indian
armed forces. What used to be a small
establishment back then, is now a glamorous retail
space on Cunningham road, selling garden
accessories and outdoor furniture. The house has
an exquisite 20 ft.-high Burma teak double ceiling
with charming panel doors and windows.
How do we know it better?
The periodic publication of this establishment is called
Dovecot, after the name of one of the cottages set off
from the main building. Though the cottage was an
isolated one, it did not have nests for doves. Presumably,
the men chose to call it Dovecot since the cottage was
meant for the exclusive use of the ladies prior to 1899.
With a name that starts with the local word for
“Bull”, it is set in a sprawling 1890 Bungalow that
also houses a unit of India-American Hybrid
Seeds, and the Rogue Elephant Café.You can
buy saris, fabric, bags, pouches, a display of
furniture, and jewellery, home linen, wallets, belts
and so much more. Which south Bangalore
This is from the website of a fairly recent
Bangalore based initiative. Fill in the blanks.
Why are Indian streets filthy?
a. It’s the ‘system’, stupid.
b. Oh, it’s the uneducated people
c. It’s our corrupt government
d. Because we are all ____ _______
Shri Eshwarsa _____ established the manufacture of a soft fine
yarn and fabric business a long time ago in 1906. His sons Venkusa,
Lakshmansa and Krishnasa, inherited not just his business but their
father's dynamism as well, and the business has since extended
into many other fields, such as engineering, bottle manufacturing,
construction, Reality (sic, from their website) and jewellery
Which business aptly headquartered at “Brewery
34. A painter himself, he came to be interested in the architecture
of the buildings of Bangalore when he was the Chairman of the
Bangalore Arts Commission from 1976 to 1988, and wrote these
two books, and one other book called “Blossoms of Bangalore”.
Who is the ex-Chief Secretary of the state?
*35. Your last chance to taste their Brain Bhoona or Suleimani
Chai was two Christmases ago. This place started in 1955 but shut
down in 2012 due to rent related issues. Which Central
The sprawling 12-acre area comprises an elegant
two-storey white structure built in the colonial style as
well as an annexe. The colonial structure played host to
several Residents for a time after 1831, till the post was
abolished in 1843.
Hopeville as it was known, was purchased from Charles
James Green, a retired Major General of the Madras
Army for Rs. 30,000, when a well-known entity opened a
branch in Bangalore in 1864.
Which entity, or what will one find as part of the
Hopeville estate today?
38. Bangalore has had these places for many
years, much earlier than other cities that got into
them as a fad in the 2000s. Prime Time in
Indiranagar was a good one. There was Tom’s on
MG Road, and Phani’s in Koramangala. And some
were special rooms attached to watering holes.
The festival has an interesting ‘origin’. This legendary Jaipur-Atrauli
musician was brought to the Bangalore Kidney Foundation Dialysis
Centre with complaints of renal dysfunction.
During treatment when he recovered slightly, against all medical
advice he decided to give a concert and he generously donated the
entire proceeds to BKF. The Foundation has been holding a festival
in his memory ever since. 2013 was the 10th year. The name of the
festival itself means ‘music’ or ‘melody.’
Who was the musician (his son Rajashekhar follows his