1. What can marketing learn from VANILLA ICE closer customer connections in changing times Peter Harris Managing Director Vision Criticalhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/eboman/395968846/
2. Peter Harris Managing Director @ Vision Critical AUDITOR marketing RESEARCHFamily man AMSRS aussie NEW MEDIA building relationships ASHES TRAGIC
3. “Stop, Collaborate and Listen” – Vanilla Ice
4. Stop. Collaborate. Listen.
7. Some inconvenient truths “In most categories a brand’s market share is stationary” 4 out of 5 categories seen as increasingly homogeneous 3x $ spent on discounting as ‘brand building’ in fmcg 0.5% average click-thru rate for banners Less than 1 in 10 ads seen as different 4% response rate successful in DMSources: Andrew Ehrenberg; Copernicus Consulting; McKinsey
8. Brands that engage in social media are winning Brands fall into one of four engagement profiles…. Mavens have experienced better revenue growth (last 12 mths)Source: The world’s most valuable brands. Who’s most engaged? Ranking the Top 100 Global Brands Report, prepared by Altimeter and Wetpaint
9. Continuous listening
10. brands must go beyond broadcast
11. and become “facilitators”
12. How can we get a better ROI? (Return on insight)
13. Stop. Collaborate. Listen.
14. collaborateInvite them in. Treat them as collaborators. Harness theircollective intelligence. Give them a role in helping the brandsucceed and a chance to become visible to their community.
16. If what we’re doing is right,and if we give them the tools,young people will do the marketing andorganising for us(and be better at it than we are)
18. • 70,000 ideas in first year• Free coffee for Gold Card members on their birthday• Starbucks VIP card• Buy coffee beans, get a free cup of coffee
19. • Get (free) help, advice & support in planning kitchens, offices, wardrobes eetc..• Employee and fan community - 100,000+ members, 4 yrs old• Community donations + ad revenue funding model• Reward participation with Ikea gift cards
21. Why they will collaborate? connect useful educate entertainSource: PHD
22. Stop. Collaborate. Listen.
23. ListenTalk with customers in context. Listen to theirideas before they get skewed. Uncover issues,focusing on how people feel.
24. “In the old days, brands wanted everybody to pay attention to them. Now brands need to pay attention to everybody else.”-Anonymous
26. “We’ve been voted the best marketer of the 20thcentury. But that’s because we were the biggestshouters. In the 21st century, we want to be the bestlisteners.- Greg Icenhower, P&G, directorof corporate communications
27. Social Media Monitoring ToolsSocial Media Buzz Monitoring1. Free Alert Systems2. Paid Analysis Dashboard3. Full Service Insights Partners
28. Online Customer Community• Continuous connection to your customers• 300–500 invitation-only members in a room Discussion Journals Quick Polls Mystery shopping Online chat Scrapbook Brainstorm Immersion Use photos Twitter Video Off-line events Survey
29. ‘Listening is the new marketing’, Chris Brogan
30. 7 Secrets of Vanilla Ice Marketing
31. 1. Make your own game• Stand out• Don’t play by other people’s rules
32. 2. Build a Posse• Make friends / connect• Insiders advantage / outsiders can’t buy influence• Create a big F’n network
33. 3. Spin off• The Archimedes Effect / Leverage• Build off previous success
34. 4. Throw Awesome Parties• Be a great party host• Invite them to participate and mash their own content• Connect , network and help build relationships
35. • Provide opportunities to participate• Don’t force the conversations but help it along• Share instead of hoard
36. • Put on & play a constructive role in offline events• Add value to the community experience• Capture content and 3rd party perspectives on your community topic
37. • Pay your dues - consistency and authenticity• Be open to criticism and admit when you are wrong• Have a higher purpose