This chart shows, how many pages with the search results visitors pass, if they don‘t find required information. The bigger part of respondent leave search results after second pages. What do you mean? If your website isn‘t on the two first search engine result pages, that is invisible for the biggest group of the searchers.
The first step in getting the most possible sales from SEO is getting your keywords right. That means narrowing down the ideal short list of keyphrases your sales prospects and customers use to find you. Keyword Expansion Tools: Wordtracker, Wordze, Keyworddiscovery, Google’s SK tool Competitive Analysis - Scour competitors sites for missed keyword opportunities: spyfu, ispionage Customer Terminology - Talk to your sales team. What terminology do customers actually use? Not trade-show words or your internal language Analyze paid search data (our biggest goldmine), analytics data, internal site search, web logs. Which keywords bring best visitors? Stages of Sales-Cycle Evaluate keywords by stage of sales cycle Keyword leverage analysis to determine which keywords are at a critical inflection point in your rankings The number of, and competitiveness, of your keywords then helps us determine the optimal SEO strategy for your site.
Meta Content Title: the structure of your page titles will greatly help SEO efforts, which we’ll talk about in greater detail in next slide. Also, your page title will show up on SERP. Description: Your MetaDescription essentially serves are your ad on Google. This is what users see on the search engines results page beneath your page title. Keywords: Having keywords in your meta content for completeness. Least understood aspects here are that you must have unique titles and meta content per page.
Alt Tags : Computers have a hard time picking out an image and being able to tell what it is….instead you can help Google with this, to help Google understand what is going on in your image….Just a few words is best, do not want too much text, just enough to point out what it is. Also helps vision impaired software to read the description of the picture. H1 Tags : Google reads webpages like a newspaper, so it is good to utilize H1 Tags, but in terms of contributing to your SEO Ranking, they have been found to not contribute greatly. Also opportunity to insert KWs here!
There three ways which you can place your keywords in your URLs: The FIRST and BEST way is to put keywords in your primary domain, this carries significant ranking weight for SEO… The SECOND and THIRD ways are to place keywords in your URL Path or Subdomain—Helpful to SEO efforts but not as much as placing keywords in the primary domain.
You need to have keyword rich content on each of your webpages, especially your homepage “ If you don’t write about it, you’re not going to rank for it” Most Flash components cannot be read by search crawlers. “Why make it harder for search engines to read your pages??” Keep your message simple, relevant to the reader while having essential keywords inserted and most importantly, write like a human (yes, search engines can tell!)
You can really devote an entire webinar about linking. In the meantime, here is a rough overview of the process. Links are like votes for your site More votes = higher ranking for a given keyword In this example: keyword: NTP Servers One-way inbound links from “relevant” sites sites that discuss relevant products or services links direct traffic (and SE spiders) to relevant pages in your site This example (CLICK) the website Symmetricom.com wants to boost their NTP Server page for the keyword: ‘NTP Servers’ Strategically place links from other relevant sites into the “NTP Servers” page
You want a tight interwoven mesh of your pages throughout your site, providing clear ‘pathways’ for the web spiders to crawl through your pages as well as show them a developed theme throughout your website.
1. How to Improve Your Rankings Through SEO Presented by Jim NathanVacation.com Director of Marketing
2. Discussion Agenda: What is SEO? How Search Engines Work Leverage Local Search Opportunities Develop Your Keyword Strategy Implement Keywords on Your Site Make Site Search Friendly Start Building Quality Links Analyze Results Use Free Resources
3. What is SEO?Search Engine Optimization is the process of enhancing a website, on-siteand off-site, to increase the volume of free traffic that is produced by searchengines.
4. Why is SEO Important?• Majority of web traffic today is driven by the major general search engines: – Google – Yahoo, – Bing• 84% of travel research and planning in the U.S. is conducted via the Web.• If your agency does not appear high on the rankings, you are allowing your competition to book your customer!• No other marketing initiative can produce an ROI as significant as SEO
5. SEO at work:What we see…
6. … and what search engines see:Sales, new gear and more: Welcome to the Web site for Patagonia, a designer of outdoor clothing, outdoor gear, Visit a store: From our blog The Cleanest Line® footwear, and luggage. Patagonia specifically makes hard shells, soft shells, rainBackyard Adventures: Triage Trails - Part 1 jackets, ski jackets, ski pants, organic cotton clothing, sportswear, travel clothing,Mention Nevada to most folks and what comes to mind is Las Vegas glam and desert heat. Truth be…Product Testing - Whale Watching with a Wee One Patagonia fleece, technical Regulator® fleece, Sinhala® fleece, Cap Ilene®"Signatures" from Sweet grass Productions Coming this Fall underwear, Cap Ilene Base layers (and base layers), luggage, packs, backpacks,Subscribe to The Cleanest Line RSS feed E-Fiber Favorites totes, haul bags, rolling luggage, wetsuits, rash guards, board shorts, surfboardMens Polo Shirt bags, hats, caps, visors, bucket hats, belts, socks, books, posters, flying discs,Mens Simple Sinhala Jacket and Patagonia shoes. For the young ones in your life we also make childrens #2 on GoogleMens All-Time Shell clothing, kids apparel and baby clothes. Our online store, retail stores andWomens Natty Dress independent dealers offer womens outdoor clothing and mens outdoor clothing,Womens R1® Full-Zip Jacket including jackets, outerwear, gear, sportswear, shells, pants, bibs, vests, pullovers,Kids Live Simply T-Shirt hats, gloves, waterproof jackets, waterproof pants, and windproof fleece for aFreewheeler “outdoor clothing” variety of outdoor sports like skiing, snowboarding, surfing, camping, rockVoluntary Recall:Lotus Designs, Inc. is notifying consumers that the Mild water PFD, may pose a potential casualty hazard. climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, trail running, yoga, mountain biking, world travel,If you own the Mild water PFD, the Fishing PFD or the Patagonia Fishing Vest please read this important notice. kayaking, and disc golf. Still looking for Water Girl and Rhythm clothes? Patagonia makes great womens surf clothes and swimwear and functional clothes for rockPATAGONIA® CLOTHING & GEAR climbing. If youre looking for discounted Patagonia gear or Patagonia on sale, visitMens Apparel: Shirts, Pants, Footwear our Web Specials page or check out one of our Patagonia Outlet Sales. PatagoniaWomens Apparel: Shirts, Skirts, Yoga believes in causing the least harm while doing business so we Lead an ExaminedTravel Gear: Luggage, Packs, Totes, and Backpacks Life as a company and maintain transparency through The Footprint Chronicles™.Kids: Jackets, Pants, Fleece for Children Environmentalism, sustainability and a commitment to protecting the naturalAccessories: Posters, Blankets, Books environment through activism are part of our companys heritage and continue toWeb Specials this day as we work to continually reduce our carbon footprint. We hope youll subscribe to the Patagonia catalog and Patagonia emails, and stop by the Patagonia blog, The Cleanest Line®, every morning to read a field report or listen to a podcast while you enjoy your coffee. Patagonia.com is the online presence of the company, Patagonia, Inc. If the whiskey bottle gets passed around the campfire too many times, folks might try and spell Patagonia like Patagonia, Patagonia, Thank you for visiting Patagonia. © 2009 Patagonia, Inc.
7. No SEO?What we see…
8. … and what search engines see:Help/Contact Us About Us Careers Press Partners Corporate Information Legal Store Locator ©adidasConsequently Adidas has no ranking for “mens running shoes”in the first 10 pages on Google
9. 9Why Successful SEO is So Important:
10. 10How Search Engines Work:• Search engines use programs, called bots or spiders, that go through billions of Web pages, read them and follow links to other pages.• The content of web pages are stored in search engine databases. When you search these databases, they return appropriate results based on a defined algorithm (complex formula).• Generally, algorithms use these main criteria: – Keyword placement, density & relevance – Link “authority” & popularity – Frequency of Content Updates
12. Basic SEO ChecklistContent is findable by search enginesContent is added/updated oftenContent is organized logically – themes/categories/localizedKeywords exist in content and internal text linksQuantity of quality sites linking inMonitor successes, adjust to improve
13. Why Local Internet Marketing is SO Important• Local search – over a third of all searches via the major search engines are local in character• You can prevail against “The Big Guys” in your local area• Crosslinks with other partner businesses will frequently be those with presence in your own community
14. Google Increasingly Focusing on Local Search
15. 5 Key Steps to Improved Google RankingsStep 1: List with Google PlacesStep 2: Develop Your Keyword StrategyStep 3: Optimize Keywords on SiteStep 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”Step 5: Grow Your Inbound Links
16. Step 1: List with Google Places
17. Step 1: List with Google Places
18. 5 Key Steps to Improved Google RankingsStep 1: List with Google PlacesStep 2: Develop Your Keyword StrategyStep 3: Optimize Keywords on SiteStep 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”Step 5: Grow Your Inbound Links
20. Keyword Research“Cruise” on Google 781 Different Options, 100 MM Monthly Searches
21. Niches are Less Competitive & Have HigherConversion Rate
22. Leverage Free Keyword Tools• Google Keyword Tool, Insights, Ad Planner• Freekeywords.Wordtracker.com• Bing.com/toolbox/adtools
23. 5 Key Steps to Improved Google RankingsStep 1: List with Google PlacesStep 2: Develop Your Keyword StrategyStep 3: Optimize Keywords on SiteStep 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”Step 5: Grow Your Inbound Links
24. Step 3: Optimize Keywords on Site• Title tags• Headings• Paragraph titles• Body copy• Anchor text in links• URL• Image Names• Meta descriptions
25. Title Tags• Most critical location for keywords• Important keywords to the left• Maximum of 8-10 words or about 65 characters• Focus on 1-2 keyword phrases – specificity rules• Each page on the site should have a unique title tag (and meta description)
26. Meta Descriptions Display in Google ResultsSummary
27. Title, Description and Keyword Code(select View>Source on any page on your site) Consist of • <Title> 2) <Description> 3) <Keywords>
28. Alt (Image) Tags and Header TagsAlt Tags – High Contribution• Alt Tags Have a High Correlation with RankingsH1 Tags - Low Contribution• H1 Tags have a Lower Correlation with Rankings
29. Keywords in URLThree Ways to Place Keywords in Your URLs:Keywords in Primary Domain is a Big SEO BenefitScenario 1: www.jazz-cruises.comKeywords in URL Path and Sub-domain are helpful, but will notcontribute to SEO rankings as muchScenario 2: www.mycruiseagency.com/jazz-cruisesScenario 3: jazz-cruises.mycruiseagency.com
30. Site Content Strategy:Natural Level of Keyword DensityFrequent Updating of ContentToo Little Content Better Content Strategy
31. 5 Key Steps to Improved Google RankingsStep 1: List with Google PlacesStep 2: Develop Your Keyword StrategyStep 3: Optimize Keywords on SiteStep 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”Step 5: Grow Your Inbound Links
32. Step 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”
34. Search Friendly Website:Easy to Crawl and Find• Use text links in navigation• Use text links between pages using keywords• List in lots of general, industry specific and local directories – DMOZ, Decidio, YellowPages.com• Encourage customer reviews in Yelp, CitySearch, Super Pages, Virtual Tourist
35. 5 Key Steps to Improved Google RankingsStep 1: List with Google PlacesStep 2: Develop Your Keyword StrategyStep 3: Optimize Keywords on SiteStep 4: Make Site “Search Engine Friendly”Step 5: Grow Your Inbound Links
36. Step 5: Grow Your Inbound LinksLinks build traffic – Google considersthem “Popularity Votes” • Inbound links from relevant, authoritative websites are key • Links infer meaning based on the text used in the link • Variety is the spice of life for link sources and text • Internal links are also important
37. Inbound LinksYour Website Other Websites
38. Surround Your Site with Quality LinksPaid “Link Farms” Hurt You with Google
39. Internal Links:Guides for Search Engine Spiders1. Identify unique keywords for each page of your website • Focused content on pages• Reference relevant pages in your site to other pages via a link• Spiders can now crawl between your site’s pages in a logical manner Landing Pages Other Internal Pages
40. Link Building Checklist• Use keywords in link text Yes: Solstice Deck Map No: click here• Earn links with great content• Promote on social networks to your blog• Link up with marketing partners• Cross link internally• Embed links in news releases• Become a news source: HelpaReporter.com
41. Link Building Tactics Galore: Hard Work
42. Step 6: Measure & AnalyzeMetrics to pay attention to:• Pages indexed• Crawling errors & Webmaster Tools Reports• Rankings relative to your own site over time• Inbound links: quantity, quality, longevity• Keyword referrals from search• Social media traffic• Inquiries & conversions
43. Google Free Analytics Tools
44. Remember The 3 P’sPATIENCE• Depending on how competitive your market and search phrases are, it can take weeks, months or even a year to rank well on Google.PERSISTENCE• Search engine optimization is a marathon, not a sprint. Its not a single act, but a long series of interrelated actions.• Once you rank ORGANICALLY you can retain your position over the long haul if you are vigilantPROGRESS• The web is in a constant state of evolution, so search engine optimization is always evolving as well.• To progress over time, you have to keep learning over time. Continue learning, and youll commit yourself to success.
45. Search Optimization Resources Free Resources• SearchEngineWatch.com• SearchEngineLand.com• WebMarketing123.com (weekly webinars)• Blog.Hubspot.com• Seomoz.org• TopRankBlog.com• Google.com/Webmasters/Tools/• EricMiraglia.com/inlink/ (inbound link analysis) Professional Assistance• Interwave Concepts, Scott Staffiery: firstname.lastname@example.org• Webmarketing123, Andrew Dobbs: email@example.com