Consumer Perception of Health drinks
Factors influencing purchase intentions of leading brands
Energize, nourish & refresh !!!
• Health Drinks Market in India:
• Market Size: + 10 billion
• GSK- Horlicks, Bournvita, Boost, Maltova commands 70% market share.
• Used as Nutrition & Energy supplement by children & adults
• Complan & Bournvita in chocolate flavors emphasized the significance of taste in
the choice of health drinks among masses
• Glucon-D, Ensure are the smaller players in the market
HEALTH DRINK BRANDS – A COMPARISON
HORLICKS ( GSK)
• Comprises 14 vital nutrients(Vitamins
• Initially targeted at growing children
• Moved towards family nourishment
• Junior Horlicks - 10% share
BOURNVITA ( Cadbury )
• Brown MFD makes up for nutritional
• Increases the strength of milk
• Promotes Mental & Physical fitness
• Comprises unique Cadbury Taste.
• Positioned as energy fuel
• Strong association with children
• Power Booster (Copper & Biotin )
• No 1 position in Brown HFDs.
• First HFD to use celebrity Ads
• Positioned as Complete planned food
– Leading Brown MFD
• Superior to Milk with more nutrients
• Commands a price premium as it
provides maximum energy.
• Target market: Children (4-14yrs )
• Research Problem: Objectives
1) Factors responsible for choosing a Health Drink Brand
2) Satisfaction level of consumers
3) Attitude of Consumers towards Health Drink Brands
4) Perception of consumers towards Health Drinks
• Exploratory Research
• Probability Sampling
• Survey Method
– Primary Data: Consumers Aged ( 25 - 45), healthcare experts.
– Secondary Data: e-books, business Newspapers, Magazines etc.
Area of Survey:
• Chembur, Vashi, Kurla, Ghatkopar etc.
• 100 consumers, 20 consumers online.
Demography of consumers:
• Females: Age group (25-45 yrs)
• Online respondents: Age group ( 20-50 yrs)
(1) Factors for choosing a HFD
x% of household
Thus, Clinical Approval, taste, Nutritional Benefits & price are the
key factors considered important in Health drink purchase.
2) In case of substantial price rise , would you
continue with the same brand?
(61%) have said that they would continue with the same brand ,
despite the price rise. The value generation involves the nutritional
benefits, trust & taste which the consumers are not willing to risk by
changing brands. Thus, price rise is not a limiting factor for regular
users as much as it is for potential consumers.
0 10 20 30 40 50 60
3) Satisfaction Level of Consumers
The Satisfaction Matrix reinforces the superiority of Horlicks over
other brands. While Boost & Bournvita are competitive with chocolate
taste providing the edge.
4) Factors creating positive attitude towards Horlicks in
comparison to other brands.
Availability, trust, nutritional benefits, Brand Image generates positive
attitude towards Horlicks. However choice of flavors & price does not
play a substantial role in choice of Horlicks.
0 5 10 15 20 25 30
5) Factors creating negative attitude towards Horlicks in
comparison to other brands.
Availability of substitutes, Lighter taste, Larger share as a % of
Household Expenses triggers negative attitude towards Horlicks.
0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
% of household expenses
Horlicks is superior than the rest in terms of quality & brand image.
However, it faces competition from Bournvita which is considered
value for money product.. Boost & Complan compete on the taste
platform, where the latter provides a complete family solution while
boost provides the necessary energy fuel for growing children.
TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS
Null Hypothesis : Taste doesn’t have a substantial effect on customer satisfaction
Alt Hypothesis : Taste does have a substantial effect on customer satisfaction of
OBSERVATIONS & CALCULATIONS:
Fcal = 1.264 & Ftab = 6.944
Since Fcal< Ftab, we accept the Null Hypothesis
• Horlicks: Enjoys strong brand equity & acceptance among the consumers, however
can improve its consumption by enhancing its usage by its preparation in water &
using vending machines ensuring its presence in schools & offices .
• Boost: It provides the necessary energy for growing children. However, it ranks
low on clinical approval vis-à-vis its competitors.
• Complan: It fairs the best in terms of taste, rich variety of flavors & a completely
planned solution. It loses market share to Bournvita in terms of pricing. Its claims
as being a substitute to food is not accepted well by the consumers.
• Bournvita: It has gained considerable preference over its Cadbury Parentage. It is
one of the steady performers. It increases the strength of milk. However, it lags
behind Horlicks in HFD market . Bournvita needs to expand its product range to
target different segments.
APPENDIX & BIBLIOGRAPHY
Marketing Management-Philip Kotler-edition 12e.
Magazines & Journals:
Times of India