Know India???? NOW “Know India”THE INCREDIBLE INDIA
The Name “India”
• The name India is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers. The Aryan worshippers referred to the river Indus as the Sindhu.• The Persian invaders converted it into Hindu. The name Hindustan combines Sindhu and Hindu and thus refers to the land of the Hindus.
India At a Glance
Capital New DelhiArea 3.3 Million sq. kmArea wise in the world 7thCoastline 7516.5 kmPhysical Feature The mainland consists of four well- defined regions: (i)The great mountain zone, (ii)The Indo- Gangetic plain, (iii)The desert region and (iv)The Southern PeninsulaAdministrative Division 28 States and 7 Union Territories.Official Language Hindi, EnglishCivilization 5000 years oldPopulation 1.3 Billion
A Look at National Symbols of India
National Flag • Saffron: strength and courage of the country • White: peace and truth • green: fertility, growth and auspiciousness of the land •“wheel of the law“: there is life in movement and death in stagnation. The wheel represents the dynamism of a peaceful change
National Bird: •A colorful swan-sized bird.Peacock •beauty, grace, pride and spirituality •Found in most of the areas of the country, that’s why its national birdNational Flower: •Lotus can live both in freshLotus shallow waters and in muddy swamps and can re- germinate for thousands of years symbolizing survival and purity of heart, mind and soul in all conditions. • Symbol of Indian Culture from time immortal
National Tree: • Its branches rootThe Fig/Banyan themselves like new treesTree over a large area, roots then give rise to more trunks and branches. • Considered immortal because of long life, and is very important part of Indian culture.National Anthem “Jana-Gana-Mana” • It’s a prayer to Mother India for blessings and a wish for her Victory •Written by late poet Rabindra Nath Tagore
State Emblem • adaptated from the Sarnath Lion Capital of Ashoka The words Satyameva Jayate, meaning Truth Alone Triumphs, are inscribed below.National River: • Longest River of IndiaThe Ganga • Indians have religious sentiments attached with this river. • its revered as most sacred river on earth by Indians.National Aquatic • This mammal is said toAnimal: River represent the purity of theDolphin holy Ganga as it can only survive in pure and fresh water.
National Calendar •based on the Saka Era, with Chaitra as its first month and a normal year of 365 days •Gregorian calendar is used for various official purposes •Has a correspondence with Gregorian Calendar •1 Chaitra falls on 22 March normally and on 21 March in leap year.National Song “Vande Mataram” •composed in Sanskrit by Bankimchandra Chatterji •Is a song of praise and respect of Mother India, Her blessings and Her beautyNational Animal: • combination of grace,Tiger strength, alertness and enormous power
National Fruit • Originated in India •In India there are over 100 varieties of mangoesNational Game: • Indian hockeys goldenHockey period was from 1928-56 •During the Golden Era, India played 24 Olympic matches, won all 24 •Won 6 successive gold medals in OlympicsCurrency Symbol • The symbol is an amalgam of Devanagari "Ra" and the Roman Capital "R" •two parallel horizontal stripes running at the top representing the national flag and also the "equal to" sign. •Adopted on 15th July, 2010. •Designed by Udaya Kumar
Lets Discuss FewInteresting Facts about India
• India never invaded any country in her last 1,00,000 years of history.• When many cultures were only roaming forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)• India is the largest democracy in the world• The worlds highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.• India has the largest number of Post Offices in the world.• India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by Indias wealth, had come looking for a sea route to India when he discovered America by mistake.
• Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world• The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world is located in India.• The four religions born in India - Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the worlds population.• There are 300,000 active mosques in India, more than in any other country, including the Muslim world.• The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi built in the 10th century, is the worlds largest religious pilgrimage destination. Larger than either Rome or Mecca, an average of 30,000 visitors donate $6 million (US) to the temple everyday.• India exports software to 90 countries.
Few Quotes About India
• "We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made!" - Albert Einstein (Theoretical Physicist, Germany)• "India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most artistic materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!" - Mark Twain (Writer, America)• "If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India." - Max Mueller (German Scholar)• "India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border." - Hu Shih (Former Ambassador of China to USA)
• "Many of the advances in the sciences that we consider today to have been made in Europe were in fact made in India centuries ago.“ - Grant Duff (British Historian of India)• "India was the motherland of our race and Sanskrit the mother of Europes languages. India was the mother of our philosophy, of much of our mathematics, of the ideals embodied in Christianity... of self-government and democracy. In many ways, Mother India is the mother of us all.“ - Will Durant (American Historian 1885-1981)
Contribution of India to the World History
• Chess was invented in India.• Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.• The Place Value System and the Decimal System were developed in India in 100 B.C. The game of Snakes & Ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called Mokshapat.
• The worlds first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.• Ayurveda is the earliest schoolof medicine known to mankind.The Father of Medicine,Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda2500 years ago.
• The Art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh over 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.• The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word Nou.• Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the Sunhundreds of years before the astronomerSmart. According to his calculation, thetime taken by the Earth to orbit the Sunwas 365.258756484 days.
• The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem.• He discovered this in the 6th century, long before the European mathematicians.• Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.• Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.• Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.
• The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BC during the Vedic period.• Even today, the largest used number is Terra: 10*12(10 to the power of 12).• Sushruta is regarded as the Father of Surgery. Over2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones, plastic surgery and brain surgeries.
• Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient Indian medicine.• Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.• The largest religious building in the world is Angkor Wat, a Hindu Temple in Cambodia built at the end of the 11th century.
Sanskrit (सं स् क त ) ृ• Sanskrit was the classical language of India, older than Hebrew and Latin. It is the oldest, most scientific, systematic language in the world. It became the language of all cultured people in India and in the countries that were influenced by India. Sanskrit literally means “refined” or “perfected” Sanskrit word English meaning Sanskrit meaning matar mother pitar papa / father bhratar brother svasar sister gyaamti geometry measuring the earth’ trikonamiti trigonometry measuring triangular dvaar door forms‘ ma me naman name ‘first person pronoun’ smi smile eka equal ‘the same’
Unity in Diversity
Geographical Diversity• Himalayas
• Plains of India
• Sea Shores
• Diversity of Religions
• Diversity of Languages
• Diversity of Dressing
Diversity in Food Habits
• Cultural Diversity
Video Link From Namaste Londonhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95XN5szWK0
Conclusion• Yes we have problems, then who doesn’t have• Yes we are imperfect and make mistakes, then whose perfect• India is a democratic country, if you don’t like something, change it; and if you can’t, then don’t complain
Note• We have tried our level best to find the most accurate data. But we apologize in case if any discrepancies found and would like to be informed for the same. -Alisha Juneja -Kamalpreet Kaur -Kirty Jindal -Manpreet Kaur Sodhi