1. History of Operating Systems• In 1945-1955 the operating systems was invented• Historically operating systems have been tightly related to the computer architecture.• Operating systems have evolved through a number of distinct phases or generations which corresponds roughly to the decades.• For ten years there has been a war between the operating system of a PC and a Mac operating system.
2. General facts about Operating system• It is the most important program that runs on a computer.• It is a set of programs that manage computer hardware resources and provide common services for application software.• It is a vital component of the system software in a computer system.
3. Definition• The most important software program on any computer. It manages the computers memory, processes, and all of its software and hardware. It also allows you to communicate with the computer without knowing how to speak the computers "language." Without an operating system, a computer is useless.
4. Functions of an Operating System• Organize and manage computer hardware.• Give the user the ability to communicate with the computer
5. Parts of an Operating SystemThe operating system comprises a set ofsoftware packages that can be used tomanage interactions with the hardware.The following elements are generallyincluded in this set of software:• The kernel, which represents the operating systems basic functions such as management of memory, processes, files, main inputs/outputs and communication functionalities.• The shell, allowing communication with the operating system via a control language, letting the user control the peripherals without knowing the characteristics of the hardware used, management of physical addresses, etc.• The file system, allowing files to be recorded in a tree structure.
6. Operating system typesAs computers have progressed and developed so have the operating systems. Below is a basic listof the different operating systems and a few examples of operating systems that fall into each ofthe categories. Many computer operating systems will fall into more than one of the belowcategories.• GUI - Short for Graphical User Interface, a GUI Operating System contains graphics and icons and is commonly navigated by using a computer mouse. See the GUI definition for a complete definition. Below are some examples of GUI Operating Systems. • System 7.x • Windows 98 • Windows CE• Multi-user - A multi-user operating system allows for multiple users to use the same computer at the same time and different times. See the multi-user definition for a complete definition for a complete definition. Below are some examples of multi-user operating systems. • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000
7. Operating system types• Multiprocessing - An operating system capable of supporting and utilizing more than one computer processor. Below are some examples of multiprocessing operating systems. • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000• Multitasking - An operating system that is capable of allowing multiple software processes to run at the same time. Below are some examples of multitasking operating systems. • Unix • Windows 2000• Multithreading - Operating systems that allow different parts of a software program to run concurrently. Operating systems that would fall into this category are: • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000
8. Operating Systems Software• Different computer manufacturers use different operating systems. Apple has specific operating systems. The most common is Windows, which was developed by a company named Microsoft.• The operating systems can be of single user like Window or multi-user like Solaris.
9. Some examples are :• AmigaOS, AmigaOS 4• FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD• Linux• Mac OS X• Microsoft Windows• OS/2• Solaris• Unix• IBM VM/370, VM/BSEP, VM/SEP, VM/XA, VM/ESA, z/VM• Google Chrome OS
10. VideoaboutOperatingSystems•Itis a good idea about Buffalo Technology because they are trying to get the very best characteristic sof PC and MAC. It is a comprare and contrast between the Mac´s OP and the Pc´s OP, searching for they disadvantages and advantages of both ,and looking for the best OP.
11. Video about Operating SystemsAn overview of the fundamental roles of the operating systemby Dr. Murphyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzVGL44eq9w