2. History of Operating Systems• In 1945-1955 the operating systems was invented• Historically operating systems have been tightly related to the computer architecture.• Operating systems have evolved through a number of distinct phases or generations which corresponds roughly to the decades.• For ten years there has been a war between the operating system of a PC and a Mac operating system.
3. General facts about Operating system• It is the most important program that runs on a computer.• It is a set of programs that manage computer hardware resources and provide common services for application software.• It is a vital component of the system software in a computer system.
4. Definition• The most important software program on any computer. It manages the computers memory, processes, and all of its software and hardware. It also allows you to communicate with the computer without knowing how to speak the computers "language." Without an operating system, a computer is useless.
5. Parts of an Operating SystemThe operating system comprises a set ofsoftware packages that can be used tomanage interactions with the hardware.The following elements are generallyincluded in this set of software:• The kernel, which represents the operating systems basic functions such as management of memory, processes, files, main inputs/outputs and communication functionalities.• The shell, allowing communication with the operating system via a control language, letting the user control the peripherals without knowing the characteristics of the hardware used, management of physical addresses, etc.• The file system, allowing files to be recorded in a tree structure.
6. Examples of Operating Systems• Windows• Linux• Unix• Mac OS
7. Functions of an Operating System• Organize and manage computer hardware.• Give the user the ability to communicate with the computer
8. Types of operating systemsAs computers have progressed and developed so have the operating systems. Below isa basic list of the different operating systems and a few examples of operating systemsthat fall into each of the categories. Many computer operating systems will fall intomore than one of the below categories.• GUI - Short for Graphical User Interface, a GUI Operating System contains graphics and icons and is commonly navigated by using a computer mouse. See the GUI definition for a complete definition. Some examples of GUI Operating Systems are: • System 7.x • Windows 98 • Windows CE• Multi-user - A multi-user operating system allows for multiple users to use the same computer at the same time and different times. See the multi-user definition for a complete definition for a complete definition. Some examples of multi-user operating systems are: • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000
9. Types of Operating Systems• Multiprocessing - An operating system capable of supporting and utilizing more than one computer processor. Some examples of multiprocessing operating systems are : • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000• Multitasking - An operating system that is capable of allowing multiple software processes to run at the same time. Some examples of multitasking operating systems are: • Unix • Windows 2000• Multithreading - Operating systems that allow different parts of a software program to run concurrently. Some examples of this category are: • Linux • Unix • Windows 2000
10. Software for an operating system• A computing platform includes some sort of hardware architecture and a software framework(includingaplication frameworks). Typical platforms include a computers architecture operating system, programming languages and related user interface.• Different computer manufacturers use different operating systems. Apple has specific operating systems. The most common is Windows, which was developed by a company named Microsoft.• The operating systems can be of single user like Window or multi-user like Solaris.
11. Examples of Operating Systems Software are :• AmigaOS, AmigaOS 4• FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD• Linux• Mac OS X• Microsoft Windows• OS/2• Solaris• Unix• IBM VM/370, VM/BSEP, VM/SEP, VM/XA, VM/ESA, z/VM• Google Chrome OS
12. Video about Operating Systems• It is a good idea about Buffalo Technology because they are trying to get the very best characteristics of PC and MAC. It is a compare and contrast between the Mac´s OP and the Pc´s OP ,searching for they disadvantages and advantages of both, and looking for the best OP.
13. Video about Operating SystemsThis is a video about operating system by Dr. Murphy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzVGL44eq9w