1. NoSQL DatabasesAdvanced Database Management Systems Vamshi Krishna Reddy V MT2009151 International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore, India
2. Relational Databases• MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Oracle etc.,• Good at • Schemas • Strong Consistency • Transactions • “Mature” and well tested • Availability of Expertise
3. What is NoSQL?• It’s not Anti SQL or ‘NO’ SQL.• It means (N)ot (O)nly SQL.• Exact name could be Non Relational DB.• Present trend of sharing needs small and simple terms.
4. Data – Information Explosion• Internet Scale• Massive data collections.• Huge number of requests.• 24/7 across the globe.
5. Need for NoSQL
6. Types of NoSQL Solutions NoSQL Databases Key-Value Column Store stores Databases Document Oriented Graph databases DatabasesXML Databases Others
7. For Whom?• Specific Needs• Non Safety critical systems• Web applications like – Social networking – Music and Video streaming.
8. Features of NoSQL• Schema less• High Availability• Horizontal Scalability
9. Conflicts of NoSQL with SQL• ACID versus BASE • A: Atomicity • C:Consistency • I: Isolation • D: Durability• CAP Theorem • C: Consistency • A: Availability • P: Partition Tolerance
10. Consistency Consistency Strong WeakConsistency Consistency Eventual Consistency Other
11. Challenges in using NoSQL• Lack of Expertise.• Historic Decisions in designing application database.• Incorporating into monolithic system having relational data.• Support to ad-hoc queries by NoSQL.
12. Conclusion• Ease of use• Way of thinking• Eventual Consistency• It’s about choosing right tool for right job.
13. References The end of SQL and relational databases. http://blogs.computerworld.com/15510/the_end_of_sql_and_relational_databases_part_1_ of_3, 2010. Why Enterprises Are Uninterested in NoSQL -Communications of the ACM.http://cacm.acm.org/blogs/blog-cacm/99512-why-enterprises-are-uninterested-in- nosql/fulltext,2010. CAP Theorem, Eventual Consistency, NoSQL.http://venublog.com/2010/04/07/cap-theorem- eventual-consistency-nosql/,2010. My Thoughts on NoSQL.http://www.eflorenzano.com/blog/post/my-thoughts-nosql/,2009. The dark side of NoSQL.http://codemonkeyism.com/dark-side-nosql/, 2009. CAP Confusion: Problems with Ypartitiontolerance- Cloudera - Apache Hadoop for the Enterprise.http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/04/cap-confusion-problems-with-partition- tolerance/, 2010. NoSQL: A Modest Proposal. http://voodootikigod.com/nosql-a-modest-proposal,2009.