What is it?
• Chip assemblies that store data for
very quick recall. The main memory in
a computer requires constant power
to be able to hold data. Every task
performed by a computer requires the
program and data to be loaded into
Items to consider when selecting
memory for a computer:
• Error detection
• Physical module
size and pin
• Single- or
Finding the Right Memory for a
• Check the computer
site, or call the
• Go to a memory
site such as Crucial’s
program on the
homepage and enter
Computer Reports the Wrong Amount
• On some computers, the on-board video
uses a portion of the memory.
• Remember that one kilobyte is 1024 bytes,
and that one megabyte is 1024 kilobytes.
• Make sure the module is installed
• Some motherboards have restrictions for
• You might have a bad memory module.
General Rules for Memory
• Use the correct memory for the motherboard.
• Follow all instructions from the computer
/motherboard and memory manufacturers.
• Make sure all the memory modules match.
• Start at the lowest number memory slot, 0 or 1.
• Insert the memory in capacity order starting with
the highest-capacity module in the lowest
• After you have installed the memory, boot the
computer and check the memory.