HOW TO CONFIGURE THE KEYBOARD TO TYPE ACCENTS ON
WINDOWS COMPUTERS (Windows 7 and 8)
Use these instructions to add the “US International”
keyboard to your computer.
You will not change the keyboard language to Spanish,
otherwise the keys will change.
This is what a Spanish keyboard looks like:
• This new icon will appear at the bottom right corner of your screen.
If it doesn’t, right-click on the gray toolbar showed below and under
“Toolbars” select “Language bar”.
• Click on the icon to select the international keyboard.
You will need to click to select it every time you open a new document
or change programs and still want to type accents.
• If you need to use it often, you can repeat the steps up to page 7 and
under “default input language” select “United States- International”.
Then you can remove the English (United States) keyboard from the
“installed services” menu below.
The international keyboard does everything the English keyboard does,
plus accents and inverted punctuation signs.
• Open the program you want and click on the “US-
International” keyboard icon.
• To type the acute accent over the vowels as in “Perú”,
• Nothing will show on your screen until you type the “u”.
• If you need the [ ‘ ] by itself, like in “John’s brother” just
press the space bar after typing [ ‘ ].
• For the symbols in the upper row like for ñ or ü :
or you need to hold plus the symbol. Then type
• Use to insert the umlaut [ ̈ ]
(The apostrophe works as the accent)
HOW TO TYPE ACCENTS ON MS OFFICE (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
AND WEB APPLICATIONS (EMAILS, GOOGLE DOCS, ETC)
HOW TO TYPE THE INVERTED SYMBOLS
• If you select Spanish as the input language
(not keyboard language!) when you create a
MS Word document, it will automatic invert
the ? and the ! at the beginning of sentences.
• Otherwise, to type the inverted accents:
Hold together with and [?] or [!]
The symbol will type inverted.
• Now just practice typing a few words like:
Perú Panamá México
España bilingüe inglés
Ramírez Pérez César Chávez
Es fácil, ¿no?
• Once you get used to the sequence of keystrokes, it
becomes very easy to type accents, like any other key.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.